Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

8 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

They may not have a choice, if they can't receive money from home and there are no flights back than they have to be more generous. Also if Thai's paid any or more tax in their younger years they would have a larger pension.

larger than 500baht or what?

8 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

With all the travel restrictions and hoop jumping to get through, it's unlikely there are many Russians or Ukrainians in or about to travel to Thailand anyway, However a more interesting question might be, How much Russian currency is Thailand holding in foreign reserves now that the Russian currency is all but useless?? which brings back a thought of years ago, when it was not known as Rubels but "RUBBLES" 

Just a Question to ponder for the illustrious P.M. and his Hub of finance. 

There are a lot of Russians and Ukrainians already here.  Both tourists and people living here. 

My GF is half Russian and half Ukrainian and has friends from both countries here.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've noticed the same in the Wongamat area where there seems to be many more Russian (or possibly one of the Former USSR countries) people about, mainly young families.

4-5 familes have moved into my condo block (2 on my floor alone) so it seems they're planning to stay for at least a month, can't say I blame them given everything that's happening "Back Home" but can only imagine the financial hassles they're going to face if they can't use their credit cards / ATMs.   

Ever thought about "subbing"them.....????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

There are a lot of Russians and Ukrainians already here.  Both tourists and people living here. 

My GF is half Russian and half Ukrainian and has friends from both countries here.

And just to add on this complicated issue Ukrainians-Russians, just found out that the Ukrainian president's, Mr Zelensky, first language is Russian...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

I bet there is already a private facebook page for thai women:

do not engage with Russians,, their money is worthless and assets frozen.
Solution: the indian billionaires are soon flying through the new bubble guppy.

They may be hard, but surely not frozen.

7 minutes ago, Conquerbrqvilok said:

Russia is an important country for the world economy and military balance Ukraine just a burden and all this support to Ukraine is wrong western countries should not support UA or being neutral or no support 

And Putin own a full right to secure his borders from a country that have personality, Things got worse in France, Italy and Germany after Romania , Hungary, and Bulgaria joined the EU as they are poor more than Africa and they needed a huge support from the taxes of European hard workers now an other help to Ukraine? no need to work for others  the wave of Ukrainian will be a big problem for Europe thieves , organized crimes, human trafficking , Minor sexual trade , weapon trade , Robbery and much more 

Did not know or met many Ukrainians, aside from very good chess players, but what you foresee, hope it will not happen! Another mistake by the European Union? 

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Hope they'll all end up in IDC. Maybe I'll have a look at Pattaya again in a few weeks, if these obnoxious thugs are off the streets. Breakfast at Amari Tower would be much more pleasant without the pink, loud, uneducated slobs.

Well, based on your post you should be called a member.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Not sure all Russian’s support this madman. Putin demands their support with threats of imprisonment or worse. Perhaps they come to Thailand seeking a reprieve from this nutter. 

If they are seeking a reprieve from listening to a nutter, then they better not listen to the Govt news here................or read this forum ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You can't answer me in any language because your wrong.

Russia is an irrelevant, failing state. 

I'm not Russia is a great Nation and will be more great with the time , Russia saved your butt from the Nazis and now again are doing this 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

They may not have a choice, if they can't receive money from home and there are no flights back than they have to be more generous. Also if Thai's paid any or more tax in their younger years they would have a larger pension.

I can't remember getting anything from the Thai government that said they would bail me out if I got into financial trouble.

The TG is under no obligation to do anything, it's not their problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post in violation of fair use policy and the replies have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

4 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I am thinking their own governments should provide return of their nationals.

A reasonable idea, but, how would they get there bearing in mind that they have little cash money. I can't think of many airlines flying in and out or Russia and I don' think that many Russian aircraft have the range to fly from Russia to Bangkok and back without refueling. On landing in any foreign country the crew have to be rotated, landing and parking fees to be paid plus of course refueling the aircraft. Then the crew will need a hotel and food unless there are 2 crews so that 1 crew can fly the outbound leg to BKK and the 2nd crew can fly it back to Russia.

That still leaves the aircraft fees which will have to be paid for in real hard currency. In the Gods we trust, all others pay cash (and not Rubles).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Conquerbrqvilok said:

If you love Ukraine this much go and fight with them 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-has-the-rouble-dropped-and-could-the-russian-economy-collapse-kc2kt2f20

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-01/sanctions-russia-economy-rouble-financial-collapse/100872126

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit

7 hours ago, chang1 said:

Not much sympathy for the Russians but certainly the Ukrainians should be helped. 

I'm glad there are no Russians where I live as I would get in trouble for telling them what I think of their leader. 

I have a good Russian  friend over here and he would agree with your less than complimentary comments about his country’s leader

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No, its Putin and the Russian media doing that with their false narrative that they launched an operation to denazify Ukraine. You are just parroting the lies and spreading more misinformation

I understand that you sympathize with Ukrainians and you are out of the EU take them to live in Scotland they may like it people in Germany, Italy and France honestly honestly? They don't like Ukrainians and they prefer Russians your problem is the same as some leaders in the western world they won't accept Putin as a strong leader because for decades are used to deal with sheep leaders like the gulf countries and Africa  this is the truth Russia is not Iraq or libya no one can bombard them and this making you and others furious ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4