Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

9 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

very large medium size.....

They are either Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large. Cannot be Verry Large Medium.   LOL

On a similar subject, how much is a 'Portion' as in 5 portions a day, or a 'tank of fuel' ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But most supermarket items are half the price online or in local markets.

Examples please. On Lazada some things are 2 or 3 times the price at the same online stores. You can spend hours looking for the cheapest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

however what is a concern are the farmers who take tanker loads of untreated excrement taken from domestic cesspits and spread it over their land and then plant on it

Always wondered about that......it is used in the west, but is it treated beforehand in someway?

I know where we lived it was used, but the air temperature had to be below a certain level before the farmers could spread it.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, I think it is mostly due to greed by sellers to increase prices because they think all foreigners are wealthy. How wrong can they be?

That statement is inconsistent with the title of the thread.

In the 13 years or so I have lived here, the number of foreigners I have seen in the large Tesco, sorry Lotus, I go to you could count on one hand.

Who do you think are paying the inflated prices you are referring to in that supermarket?

It is horses for courses and if you want falang food then you have to be prepared for the falang price,although that can be mitigated a bit at places like Siamburi.

Every time there is a rise in the minimum wage prices in places like supermarkets and hotels take a hike. There is another on the cards so expect rises to appear once approved.

The Labour Ministry is expected to approve a rise in Thailand’s daily minimum wage from 336 baht to a flat rate of 492, according to a Nation Thailand report.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/minimum-daily-wage-in-thailand-looks-set-to-increase-to-492-baht#:~:text=The Labour Ministry is expected,to a Nation Thailand report.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

They are either Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large. Cannot be Verry Large Medium.   LOL

On a similar subject, how much is a 'Portion' as in 5 portions a day, or a 'tank of fuel' ?

Reminds me of the legendary  Scottish comedian 'Billy Connolly'. He once said that when he went clothes shopping he liked to tease the sales assistants by asking "Do u have this in Extra Medium?",  "No", and then argue saying "But why not? U have Extra Large?" etc. etc.....555.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Add in the Thai supermarket monopoly factor which, unlike in the West, removes competition  and we stand no chance!

The high pricing is clear when I shop in the few small independent Thai owned supermarkets where I stay, where most items are not just 1 or 2thb cheaper but 5/10/20 thb cheaper than in the large national chain supermarkets. With the power of bulk buying the opposite should be true as it is in the West.

Like many, a narrow minded view, ignoring the fact that large concerns are subject to the minimum wage and small ones are not.

Thailand should also follow the west and make the minimum wage available to all, just imagine the uproar in the bars.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Like many, a narrow minded view, ignoring the fact that large concerns are subject to the minimum wage and small ones are not.

And that minimum wage is, hopefully for the workers, going up to almost Bht 500 A DAY. What about prices then?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Have a friend, late 40's, seemingly healthy, won't even have green stuff on his plate let alone eat it????

Way back when, I remember a guy in Port Hedland whose standard dinner was steak, potatoes and lashings of butter on the potatoes. Nothing else. Every day.

Judging from his complexion, I'd say he was not long for this world.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Way back when, I remember a guy in Port Hedland whose standard dinner was steak, potatoes and lashings of butter on the potatoes. Nothing else. Every day.

Judging from his complexion, I'd say he was not long for this world.

Funnily enough I recently watched a case in South Africa where a doctor was prosecuted for propagating a diet based purely on meat and fat....literally.

He won the case based on the evidence he presented.......have to say he did look ultra fit for his age.

18 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Reminds me of the legendary  Scottish comedian 'Billy Connolly'. He once said that when he went clothes shopping he liked to tease the sales assistants by asking "Do u have this in Extra Medium?",  "No", and then argue saying "But why not? U have Extra Large?" etc. etc.....555.

Then the assistant answers "I don't know", end of talk, what is the tease? I am lost... is this supposed to be funny in Scotland? 

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Rather smug, condescending and unfair comment; I have lived here with my Thai wife for 7 years, and we shop mostly in local markets; however, I sometimes go to supermarkets, because I still like to eat some strawberries, raspberries, parmesan cheese, blueberries, avocados, beetroot and occasional packet of McVitie’s digestives.

This does not mean that I have not embraced the culture of Thailand, and your suggestion that anyone that has not become as “Thai” as you pretentiously seem to think that you have, should leave the country.

Incidentally, I have many Thai friends in London, who eat Thai food almost exclusively there, but it has never occurred to me to suggest they go home if that’s what they want to eat.

you sure read and assume a lot more into what i said than what i said.....take a deep breath, eat what you want and pay what you want.  I don't really care.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Personally, when I first moved to Thailand the rate of exchange was great and you did not need to worry about your monthly overheads.

Did anyone who decided to completely change their life and move here ---did they ever, Just have a quick glance at Thailand recent history?

Did they ever say to themselves---wow look at that a few years back,  Thailand had a financial melt down-just like the American crash in 30s

One day they were giving 26 Baht to a $us and a week latter you would be lucky to just pay 51 Baht for a $us

Fixed rate for the £  in 1996 was 24 Baht ---then the crash.

Or did they just say----Wow mate look at this . Today I can get X amount for every £...And on my pension -Price of beer & Pussy, I can live very well

What ever could go wrong..........:w00t:

If you live here you know that food here is cheap, fresh and delicious.  It does not take too much time or effort to find the good deals.  Of course if you need fancy alchohol or western beef you will pay a high price.  But if you eat more like the Thai people you will absolutely save money and eat good food.  No doubt.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Thailand should also follow the west and make the minimum wage available to all, just imagine the uproar in the bars.

That is a factor that I had not considered. Thank you for expanding my narrow mind!!!

• Haha 2