Show some humanity, support Ukraine and don't blame ordinary Russians

webfact

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Evil, cruelty and bigotry will continue to flourish if good men (or even mediocre men) say nothing. The Thai Government's refusal to name or condemn Russia's actions does seem to hint at a lack of principle or concern for human values.

Or maybe it just reflects a lack of care about anything much beyond Thailand's border. Perhaps the government's instincts are to stay out of trouble and hope it all goes away tomorrow

Whatever, it is a little sad.

They just have the income from Russian tourists in mind. Now they can actually forget it as Russia has been kicked out of the SWIFT system, Russian credit cards no longer work and money transfers from Russia are impossible. 

• Like 2

Evil, cruelty and bigotry will continue to flourish if good men (or even mediocre men) say nothing. The Thai Government's refusal to name or condemn Russia's actions does seem to hint at a lack of principle or concern for human values.

Or maybe it just reflects a lack of care about anything much beyond Thailand's border. Perhaps the government's instincts are to stay out of trouble and hope it all goes away tomorrow

It reflects a lack of care about anything other than the lining of applicable pockets.  There are fortunes being made out of this and every other conflict, on both sides. Why would the German Tourist and his odious puppets do or say anything to jeopardise their income stream?

Exactly the same as pandemics, tsunamis, volcanoes, firestorms, or smog.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

They just have the income from Russian tourists in mind. Now they can actually forget it as Russia has been kicked out of the SWIFT system, Russian credit cards no longer work and money transfers from Russia are impossible. 

I do feel for those Russians who are adversely affected by Putin's actions and I hope that will help steel their resolve to oppose them. The situation will only be resolved by ordinary Russians condemning Putin in the way that ordinary Germans condemn Hitler's actions now and ordinary Japanese condemn Hirohito and ordinary Italian condemn Mussolini and ordinary Spanish condemn Franco and ordinary Cambodians condemn Pol Pot. All peas in a pod.

• Like 1

It reflects a lack of care about anything other than the lining of applicable pockets.  There are fortunes being made out of this and every other conflict, on both sides. Why would the German Tourist and his odious puppets do or say anything to jeopardise their income stream?

Exactly the same as pandemics, tsunamis, volcanoes, firestorms, or smog.

I do not pretend to have a solution. All I know is, no matter how bad it bets, someone somewhere will make a fortune out of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joules said:

I will reiterate:  Citizens of a country are responsible for their leaders.  Yeah some leaders may be tough, hardened killers, but ultimately it is the citizens who must rise up and depose such despots.  Yes, I blame the common Russians, just as I blame the average German citizen of the early 1940's for Nazi atrocities and average American citizens for the unprovoked invasion if Iraq.  

So these Russians who have had their vacations ruined need to go home and do something about it.  

And just how are the Russians in Thailand supposed to get home to Russia? Their airlines are banned, their currency is useless as are their credit and debit cards. How will they get the money to pay even their current bills here in Thailand?

3 hours ago, Joules said:

"The conflict in Ukraine is multi-faceted and Rooster does not profess to have any answers. "

Ha, ha, ha, of course he professes to have no answers.  After all, a Rooster has a bird brain!

Do YOU have have any answers, or are you like a few posters here, simply full of hot air?

• Like 2

Meanwhile the Russian officials in Thailand try to put pressure on Thai's.

The Russian Embassy in Bangkok is warning not join Ukraine's international volunteer force and engage “in hostilities”, calling out the Ukrainian Embassy for posting about it. This comes after media reports of some Thais interested to join to fight against Russia’s invasion. https://t.co/PjkPU7P6p8

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1500072159187660800?t=HnUX-OaqV26wXIBoWrOb4A&s=19

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey, I hope everyone realizes they are Communist.  I have never met a Russian who seems to care or know much about any other country, but Russia.  And, they always seem to have some ulterior motive.

A bunch of non smiling, arrogant, selfish non friendly Comrades.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Personally I want to see the US and NATO impose a non-fly zone over Ukraine.  Let's end it!  Completely.

They can't,or it would be classed as War on Russia,whom are controlling said Airspace at present.

NATO are only there as a defence mechanism for neighbouring NATO Member countries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Hey, I hope everyone realizes they are Communist.  I have never met a Russian who seems to care or know much about any other country, but Russia.  And, they always seem to have some ulterior motive.

A bunch of non smiling, arrogant, selfish non friendly Comrades.

Have you ever been to Russia? 

• Like 1

Several posts commenting on forum moderation issues have been removed, along with a grammar police post.

Please note the following forum rule:

'10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues."

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Ordinary Russians?

Far and few between.   The few Russians I've met are rude and aggressive. 

I'm sure there are a few nice ones.

It's just I haven't met any.

I have worked with many Russians and met a small number of individuals here in Thailand .

I find them aloof .

I respect them for the fact that they sacrificed millions of lives to allow us the freedom I have had through my 69 years of life . 

• Like 2

For every real Viet Nam Veteran I'm told there are several fakes.  I'm a real one and I've never ever said "If I told you I'd have to kill you".  In my opinion that is a sure sign of a phony.  I'm well aware that Americans were not the only ones there.  

6 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

The author didn't mention Americans, but you did. Besides many nationalities apart from US serviceman served with distinction in Vietnam, like Thais and Aussies. 

Many nationalities? Whoever they were they were soundly thrashed and driven out by men women and children of Vietnam-An army of the people

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

And just how are the Russians in Thailand supposed to get home to Russia? Their airlines are banned, their currency is useless as are their credit and debit cards. How will they get the money to pay even their current bills here in Thailand?

Repatriation flights I guess.......

Edited by onthedarkside
profanity removed
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

The sadest things is that Ukraine will never ever have the freedom of national self determination.

It is doomed forever more to be a tool and a footnote to Russian history. Russia will never let the country be free. Once it shows signs of national pride and independence, the Russian boot will come down hard.

The same thing can be said about many autocrocies. If people are allowed a fair vote, they will always vote for freedom. Look at Myanmar. I'm sure if North Korea or China had a free vote, the leaders of those countries would be kicked out. The same is true in Thailand.

Why do all these autocracies insist on censoring the free flow of information and only presenting their own narrative? Maybe they think people are stupid (and cannot be trusted to think for themselves) or they are scared of the truth.

So what good are these autocracies? Those in power will say they are only working for the benefit of the country, They are kidding themselves if they ever believed this. It is all about power for power's sake and keeping themselves at the top of the heap.

Well I think a free Ukraine will emerge from this but it might take 20 years and millions of deaths.

• Like 1