Does Anyone Think That Putin Is Trying To Provoke A Nuclear War

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rumours that he has cancer, parkinsons and also approaching 70 imminently so most likely wanted to rebuild the USSR before he's too far gone, but of course he's made the biggest mistake of his life

You raise a very worrying scenario; I was talking to a friend in the UK yesterday, and we were both wondering if he has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, causing him to not really care much about any future armageddon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he is willing to use tactical nukes in Ukraine, yes, as a last resort if / when he fully fails to meet his objectives. But better for him if people just believe he is willing to as that gives him much more leverage. People are correctly concerned about totally backing him against a wall. Always give him space to lose while declaring victory. Angry wounded bear BEWARE!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if there is an easy way out of this for either the West or for Russia.  Putin is in a corner.  He attacked a country and the citizens are mobilized.  They are fighting for their homes, families and their livelihood.   Putin is going to have one-heck-of-a-time controlling the country.   

If this continues to escalate, nuclear weapons are a definite possibility.   First, there will be biological or chemical weapons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Credo said:

I don't know if there is an easy way out of this for either the West or for Russia.  Putin is in a corner.  He attacked a country and the citizens are mobilized.  They are fighting for their homes, families and their livelihood.   Putin is going to have one-heck-of-a-time controlling the country.   

If this continues to escalate, nuclear weapons are a definite possibility.   First, there will be biological or chemical weapons.

Agree with everything you say. The fact that Putin is recruiting mercenaries from Africa and Syria, shows how unexpectedly (to him) badly his invasion force are doing. Many are young conscripts who believed they were going on a training exercise, not going to fight well trained, highly motivated Ukrainian soldiers.

His propaganda machine is already creating fake pretexts for using chemical or biological weapons, which is only one step away from smaller tactical nuclear weapons. His face looks puffed up, probably from steroids, which is a huge concern; very dark days indeed for the world.

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The simplest way out is for Putin to be taken out, Russia retreat and blame Putin nothing to do with them guv, sanctions get reduced quickly, Russia pay for all the damage and deaths caused, world goes back to near normal

Russia pay?

How about retreating from Crimea?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, Berkshire said:

Agree.  For now, Putin only mentions nukes as leverage to scare other countries into letting him do as he pleases.  He may be crazy, but he's not stupid.  He won't deploy nukes knowing that he would be incinerated in a manner of minutes.  But if he's cornered with no other options, he may just launch some nukes because at that point, he simply won't care.   

No.

You don't get it.

He may use tactical nukes in Ukraine.

That would not trigger MAD.

• Like 1

There is no point in talking to Putin. He can't win against Ukraine but he can destroy the country. So that's what he's doing. Putin won't fall by a people's protest movement. They are too good at propaganda. The best hope is an internal coup.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the key is, the more people they injure and kill and the more damage caused  the more they have the pay

They won't. 

It will be up to the west to rebuild.

Edited by Jingthing

As long as there are nukes around there is always the latent danger that at some time in the future they will be used. And there are still some 30'000 warheads or even more around I think.

Fortunately - as far as I know - there is no such thing as one big red button that only needs to be pressed and off it goes. There are a number of security mechanismns that not only one being can provoke a nuclear holocaust - and do you remember the US general that instructed his direct subordinates to call him back first (against the protocol) if a certain former president would instruct to fire out of a possible confusion in his head or elsewhere ? But I do not know how it would work in North Korea.

But in Russia I suspect they have something to make it at least a little bit secure. Another scenario that I am afraid of even more is the one that is very authentically shown in the scary and very credible movie "13 Monkeys". To set free a superdeadly virus needs only one insane person if he can get hold of the staff.

Edited by moogradod
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jingthing said:

No.

You don't get it.

He may use tactical nukes in Ukraine.

That would not trigger MAD.

Disagree.

Any use of tactical nukes would be unacceptable and provoke retaliation.

Even China, N. Korea and other Russian sympathisers would find the use of tactical nukes impossible to defend.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Disagree.

Any use of tactical nukes would be unacceptable and provoke retaliation.

Even China, N. Korea and other Russian sympathisers would find the use of tactical nukes impossible to defend.

But not with nukes.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jingthing said:

There is no point in talking to Putin. He can't win against Ukraine but he can destroy the country. So that's what he's doing. Putin won't fall by a people's protest movement. They are too good at propaganda. The best hope is an internal coup.

Better we just strive towards destroying each other as that is an eventuality for the human race imo.

The prophecy will be fulfilled.