Dilemma of not having recovered officially from Covid.

Enzian

In Bangkok. I'm almost clear of a mild, almost asymptomatic case of Covid, but never saw a doctor or hospital, and the CDC says I may test positive on a PCR test for up to three months to come. I assume that might present a problem when I want to travel to the US or Europe around May or June. I'm at day 8 since the first very mild symptom, have felt fine for past three days, but did test positive on an ATK test today. But the CDC suggests that in about three days or so I may not even be able to infect another person, and I can wait much longer. Anyone with experience with this issue? Should I now go to a doctor and start a paper trail? Any inexpensive PCR testing places? Any insights appreciated. If this question belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it but please let me know. Thanks! (I've had 4 vax shots, last in mid Jan.)

Edited by Enzian
add please
  • Like 1

I was similar to yourself.

Felt a bit rough and tested positive on an ATK test.  I take an ATK test every 3 or 4 days (I work in the tourism industry). Went into total self quarantine.

No symptoms after day 3 and tested positive again.

Day 5 tested negative.

Day 7 tested positive.

Contacted the hospital. They said - stay in quarantine for 10 days then good to go. No longer infectious. (tested negative again on day 9.)

I have no plans to travel and I am back at work.

I have a friend in a similar situation and she too was told to quarantine at home for 10 days, but she needs to go to Australia next month, and so she is having a PCR test today and starting the paper trail.

Cheapest PCR tests here on the island (in order of low cost) are

1 a government clinic/hospital (but you need a social security number and be able to speak Thai).

2 a local lab that checks the results.

3 a local private clinic/doctor

4 various private hospitals.

• Thanks 2

If you officially report your infection, you can get an all clear document from the hospital after your symptoms clear that is acceptable (even with a positive PCR test) in some situations. If you elected not to report your infection (perhaps due to fears of being forced to enter hospital) then I understand but there is a downside.

• Like 1

I'm now in the UK and got a positive ATK test yesterday. Only symptoms are a mild cough. I'm hoping to travel to Thailand in just over 2 weeks. I took a PCR test today to start the trail in case of needing a recovery letter from doctor. I'm assuming that a PCR test in 15 days time would still show positive. If so, how does returning to Thailand work with a covid recovery letter from doctor but no negative test result? Anyone have any experience please?

14 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm now in the UK and got a positive ATK test yesterday. Only symptoms are a mild cough. I'm hoping to travel to Thailand in just over 2 weeks. I took a PCR test today to start the trail in case of needing a recovery letter from doctor. I'm assuming that a PCR test in 15 days time would still show positive. If so, how does returning to Thailand work with a covid recovery letter from doctor but no negative test result? Anyone have any experience please?

only emirates will take you positive.

entry to thailand should not be a problem with recovery certificate. send it already to hotel, they suppose to pass to hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

only emirates will take you positive.

entry to thailand should not be a problem with recovery certificate. send it already to hotel, they suppose to pass to hospital.

Thanks. From what is published, it is still possible to test positive on PCR for up to 12 weeks after infection. Surely there must be an increasingly large number of people in this situation who have recovered but still test positive. I'll ask the airlines direct too.

OP, major update. I wrote my Kaiser doctor in Oakland last night (morning CA time) and woke up this morning to a message from him saying he would write me a note when the time comes saying I had recovered, and that I shouldn't bother getting a PCR here, now. I didn't directly ask him to, just described the total situation. He must believe that it will be accepted even though he will not have seen me in person. I will send him a set of dated ATK test strip pictures for what it's worth. Thanks for reading everyone.

Edited by Enzian
clarity
  • Like 1

Maybe it's worth to add that you are legally required in Thailand to report a covid infection. If you test positive on a self test you are required to confirm with a PCR. In Hua Hin, you can get it for free in the government hospital without a social security number.

1 minute ago, Snailer1969 said:

Not sure about going out but coming back in, you must have a covid recovery certificate and a PCR test (even if it still shows positive).

I passed through 2 airports on route and only had to show the recovery certificate but on arrival at Suvarnabhumi, they would not let me enter without the PCR test.
I was a bit wary about producing a positive PCR test to the airport staff (fear of getting thrown in to quarantine) but after being being told I wasn’t getting in without it, I showed them the positive one and they said ok, no problem, you can enter now ????.
Test & Go day 1 was no problem, as they took note of my recovery certificate.
Day 5 T & G was a different story, they were all for throwing me in to a private hospital, paying 150 k baht up front because I was still showing positive on the test.
Had to call the ministry of health call centre, who then called to explain to the hotel and lab that done my test, they had no reason to keep me. I still got told to do 7 days isolation at home (live here) and had to do 3 ATK tests in that period. Absolute nonsense but I just got on with it. Don’t get me started on Morchana!! 
FYI- The recovery certificate must be dated a minimum of 15 days prior to departure.

I tested positive on the 5th Feb and travelled on the 24th. Day 5 test and go was on the 1st of March and still testing positive. 

On the day 5 PCR test I mean. All ATK’s are negative 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

And a maximum of 3 months.

I made the mistake of thinking it was 15 days from testing positive. Doctor gave my my certificate the day before I left!
The airline picked up on this right away and would not let me board. Luckily my friendly doctor agreed to change the date and email it to me at the airport. Airline accepted seeing the email. 

• Thanks 2

recovery certificate is the best to send to hotel after getting booking. Ask them to forward to hospital.

Those health officers at the airport suppose to put some notice on their system, as well as on the paper order, so you are not at mercy of some under qualified nurse doing her 24h shift, who barely speaks and reads english.

Before my flight I did 2 pcr tests, just to be sure I am already negative. I have told them I have recovered recently and they put red sticker on my testing vials, instead of the regular white sticker. Probably it went through some additional checks.

Still, on entry to thailand I have shown them my recovery certificate, to start my paper trail from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, Snailer1969 said:

I made the mistake of thinking it was 15 days from testing positive. Doctor gave my my certificate the day before I left!
The airline picked up on this right away and would not let me board. Luckily my friendly doctor agreed to change the date and email it to me at the airport. Airline accepted seeing the email. 

what airline was it?

so far I have thought only emirates allows positive.