Just like the flu now?

MarkT63

The old virus has certainly polarized opinions when discussing anything from mask wearing to restrictions all around the world.

One of the arguments we hear from one side of the fence is "it is just like the flu now".

Daily deaths are certainly down globally compared to last year so I was interested to see if this statement stands up.

Annual deaths due to flu related causes vary wildly year on year.

According to the World Health Organization, 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide. https://www.who.int/news/item/11-03-2019-who-launches-new-global-influenza-strategy.

So, in a mild year that equates to an average of 795 deaths per day and in a severe year that equates to an average of 1,781 deaths per day.

The 7-day average of COVID deaths to 10 March was 6,842, which equates to 8.6 times more deaths than a mild flu year and 3.8 times more deaths than a severe flu year.

That does not take in to account recent research, using excess deaths, that suggests actual deaths from COVID could be three times more than officially reported figures https://www.bbc.com/news/health-60690251

So, if this research is correct, that would be 25.8 times more deaths than a mild flu year and 11.5 times deaths more than a severe flu year.

So, are we at the stage where we can claim “it just like the flu now”?

Edited by MarkT63
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

in european countries, where elderly got free yearly flu shots, deaths are very low, around 100 per country with over 10% infected every year. Those infections are spread over 3-4 winter months, rarely coming as waves, so the health system is not overburdened.

Example with omicron, when most probably everybody will get it 9even if vaxed and boosted) and with tens dying daily, is completely different to flu. Different class of danger. Still, is't not as delta and earlier once, and there is chance for immunity, better than from vaxes

9 people in my family got infected before they have been vaccinated. 

All of them didn't have grave symptoms, was more like a cold. After 3-4 days were recovered. Despite they got infected, all of them are vaccinated by now. 

• Thanks 1

Death rates have decreased every year since 1950 until an increase in2019. The fine print at the top says that 2020 and newer data is a projection and does not include the impact of Covid 19. Not sure why you chose 2013 as a reference date? The dada is not much use to make any claims about the impact of Covid 19 one way or the other.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/WLD/world/death-rate&ved=2ahUKEwj89o-3x7_2AhVfxzgGHRm4DjkQFnoECAQQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0ImXMuUZviApkohnNLATQ7

46 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

Massachusetts over counted 4081 which now they have taken off their Covid rates , how many more over counted , all part of the hype that fueled the hysteria at the time 

Probably not so many more...

“We are adopting the new definition because we support the need to standardize the way COVID-19-associated deaths are counted,” said DPH State Epidemiologist Dr. Catherine Brown. “Prior to the CSTE definition, states did not have a nationally recommended definition for COVID-19 deaths and, as such, have been using a variety of processes and definitions to count their deaths. In Massachusetts, our definition has consistently been broader than most other states. After a deep dive into our data and reviewing thousands of death certificates we recognize that this updated definition gives us a truer picture of mortality associated with COVID-19.”

https://www.mass.gov/news/department-of-public-health-updates-covid-19-death-definition

Actually, they were acting in accordance with guidelines that came in part from the CDC.

Australia's figures are wildly inaccurate. People test themselves and report positive RATs, so those figures come out that day. Then 2-3-5 days following their initial positive test they do 2nd/3rd/4th RAT and report if still positive. Those figures come out that day. If they feel sick they'll go to a hospital for a PCR test, and that positive result comes out for that day's figures. So you can have 2-3-4-5 covid statistics for 1 person. Also mischievous people have reported BS RAT positives for other people. Someone even reported the NSW health Minister as having a positive RAT. 

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I am not an expert since I am not a doctor but I have never known some one died of the flu well maybe there are but I never knew one. But I have  3 friends who died of covid and 2 are still in hospital with long term covid so I agree with most of your topic

The flu can be quite deadly, depending on the strain.  Like you, I don't know anyone who has died of it, but I know people who came really, really close.   Also, like you, I have had friends and family die from Covid, but it's been quite a few more than 3. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, MarkT63 said:

So, are we at the stage where we can claim “it just like the flu now”?

Jury is out on that, but while the official line as gathered from the radio ads ( I don't watch local tv as IMO it's unwatchable <deleted>) is that it's still something to be feared, the reality is that it doesn't appear to be so. The death toll is announced every day and on the last day that I heard the stats 8 died, all old. They won't say if people die FROM or WITH, so I'm only guessing if I opt for WITH.

It's probably too soon to be saying it's all over bar the shouting, but if a more deadly strain appears it's probably really going to knock the economy for six, as it's getting pretty bad already, and IMO has barely begun as the knock on effects of two years of restrictions is going to make things awful for a very long time ( rather like long covid ).

I am 40 years old, unvaccinated and had omicron in February.

It was like a cold but with flu symptoms. I would say it was 10x less bad than the flu from 2018.

I went for a 15km walk on day 3. 

Only thing was a couple of days with really bad throat pain.

Overall, covid-19 to me was nothing. Would not have gone to the doctor with it if I didn't know it was covid. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 12:10 AM, internationalism said:

you were lucky, that it wasn't delta.

You are protected for sometimes. But BA 2.2 might be just around the corner and not that easy as your omicron

There is always "something" just around the corner, but if there was a more deadly strain of covid yet to appear, I can't see everyone accepting a return to lockdowns like at the beginning. There have already been several major anti covid mandate "demonstrations" around the world, and IMO people have had enough of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is always "something" just around the corner, but if there was a more deadly strain of covid yet to appear, I can't see everyone accepting a return to lockdowns like at the beginning. There have already been several major anti covid mandate "demonstrations" around the world, and IMO people have had enough of them.

Unless something extremely lethal comes along, I doubt that a return to lockdowns would be necessary.   We have a lot better understanding of this virus and how it works.  We have at least a roadmap and recipe of vaccines that work on the virus.  We also have a good heads up on what antiviral medications work. 

We also know what mitigation steps we need to take to protect ourselves and those around us.   We have a pretty good idea of what we have to do to avoid lockdowns.  

On 3/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't forget that Johns Hopkins study that concluded the lockdowns only reduced deaths by 0.2%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1