has your life been what you wanted

ivor bigun

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Is he alive?

Yes, and he is now married to a Filipina and they have 2 kids.  Of course he is in the Phils now.  BTW he did manage to use up his duffle bag full, and at 1k he stopped playing around...We rented a villa together down in Chalong, he had the bottom and I had the top, luckily it had separate entrances....lol.  Always saw a new pair of heels or flip flops out his front door daily.

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, and he is now married to a Filipina and they have 2 kids.  Of course he is in the Phils now.  BTW he did manage to use up his duffle bag full, and at 1k he stopped playing around...We rented a villa together down in Chalong, he had the bottom and I had the top, luckily it had separate entrances....lol.  Always saw a new pair of heels or flip flops out his front door daily.

So u top and him bottom

53 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So u top and him bottom

Nope, I stayed clear of his conquests, I had a live in GF at the time...that was before I met my now ex-wife and current GF, damn where does the time go as that was back in 2006......

• Thanks 1

I never really did plan anything my old life, however things have worked out very well indeed, and I have no regrets/complaints.

Adopted into a poor family and left school at the age of 15 without any qualifications and started work as an apprentice electrician in a brickworks – – not what you would think would be a great job, but it was fantastic, with so many aspects/elements of the electrical world to work on.

After I finish my apprenticeship I went to work in the Sahara desert for three months only, before the contract finished and I was then sent off to Nigeria, neither of which I minded because to me they were all adventures.

Did more time in Libya (the Sahara desert again), the North Sea and Norway before eventually getting married, which was the biggest mistake of my life.

In amongst all of that lot I achieved some local fame playing football for a senior amateur team, and was asked to go for trials with QPR, but I didn't, however I loved every minute of my football playing career.

Headed for New Zealand in 1984 and achieved a few good things in the corporate world, finally becoming Chief Manager of Investments for a major New Zealand bank.

When I look back on it now I wouldn't change anything, coming from humble/poor beginnings to my last position to me was damn near a miracle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I enjoy reading posts of those who like to post of their (or their friends') amorous conquests here in the Kingdom.

I remember telling guys back in US of A 20+ years ago that getting laid in  Thailand is about as difficult as ordering pizza stateside

Do you have problems with P4P in US? 

I used to spend my winters in Florida, and never experienced any problems with meeting willing girls, be it DeLand, Zephyrhills, Tampa, Flagler Beach, or Daytona.

And those I met in Florida, didn't bother to charge, except I picked up the check when invited to dinner date! 

22 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Yes you were lucky weren't you.....

"luckily my family were not very short of money although by no means wealthy, I went to a private school for many years and then to a grammar school, had a good job" 

At my school (state), it was considered an achievement if you stayed on past 15 years old! We lived in a council flat in a big old Victorian house where we shared the toilet and bathroom with two other families.

Ohhh.  You had a house...I used to dream of living in a house....

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes

Since I am about 25 my hobby is my job. I like to play with computers and get paid for it. So in a way I didn't work much in my whole life.

And I experienced when I was young that money is nice but not everything. I had a bet with a friend and I ended up having a red Porsche cabriole for a weekend. It was nice and fun and lots of people looked at me and that car. But life didn't really change. My conclusion was that I don't want to work hard to make money to buy expensive things which don't really make my life much better.

And a couple of years later I made holiday in Thailand and I liked it a lot. And then I decided why should I live 11 month in the cold with ugly women when instead I can live all the time in Thailand with many beautiful girls.

Some time ago I read this story (there are many versions all over the internet). I really like this story.

The Mexican Fisherman

One day, a businessman on vacation was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village. He looked out and noticed a fisherman rowing his boat to shore in the afternoon sun. The fisherman docked his boat and hopped out, resting his fishing pole on the side.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The businessman complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The businessman then asked why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The businessman then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a nice afternoon nap with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, señor.”

The businessman scoffed, “I am an American Investment Banker with a PhD in business management, and I could help you. You should spend more time fishing in deeper waters, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the money you make from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats; eventually, you would have a fleet of fishing boats.

Instead of selling your catches of fish to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor and eventually own your own production plant for canned food. You would control the product, processing, and distribution of fresh fish to thousands of people. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA, and eventually New York City where you would run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But señor, how long will this all take?” To which the businessman replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, señor?”

The businessman laughed and said, “That’s the best part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”

“Millions, señor? Then what?”

The businessman said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

The "Mexican Fisherman Story" (outside of academic brain twisters), is probably the most significant way to explain our economical "merry go round". (Formerly called capitalism).

I was born a poor black child in Baltimore.

My life turned around when I started to post here under "swissie". Thousands of "likes" and I won the title "poster of the year" 37 times. So, thanks to ASEAN NOW my life has been extremely rewarding.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree, but unfortunately my regrets can't be fixed.

However, I don't think that it's possible to not make mistakes if one doesn't risk regret.

Nobody wakes up in the morning, deciding to make a major mistake in his/her life. Today's mistakes were once percieved as "a good idea" at the time. Mostly.

Marriages, Investments etc etc etc etc. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would have been a winner if I'd not have had my cancer treated and passed over in my early 60s. Unfortunately it was too young to accept death, but it's been a downward spiral since.

Don't get me wrong; I do appreciate all the great years I had, but I've had a <deleted> life since for longer that I had a great one. I might be happier if I could actually remember the good times, but old age has robbed me of my memories as well.

Didn't know about your former (serious) health problems. But you came out all right, as I gather.

PS: One of the more interesting "live strories" here. Be careful, the "Walt Disney Productions" may knock on your door for the "movie-rights". Don't be "undersold".

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Ohhh.  You had a house...I used to dream of living in a house....

I dream of living in a house now. Rents in NZ are so absurd that a pension just doesn't cover it and food any more. Apparently due to new government regulations they'll be going up again soon, but I'm pretty sure pensions will not be increased, or at least by enough.

Roll on the next elections when they can all lie about the great things they will do to help pensioners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Didn't know about your former (serious) health problems. But you came out all right, as I gather.

PS: One of the more interesting "live strories" here. Be careful, the "Walt Disney Productions" may knock on your door for the "movie-rights". Don't be "undersold".

My 20s would indeed qualify for one of those made for tv movies, but I doubt having fun in Thailand in my 40s and 50s is what they are after.

However, I could provide information for a great expose of what was bad about nursing from the 1980s decade to the 2010 decade.

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Nobody wakes up in the morning, deciding to make a major mistake in his/her life. Today's mistakes were once percieved as "a good idea" at the time. Mostly.

Marriages, Investments etc etc etc etc. 

Agree. Just like nobody gets married with the intention of getting divorced, except gold diggers. It just happens for about 50% of people that do.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes

Since I am about 25 my hobby is my job. I like to play with computers and get paid for it. So in a way I didn't work much in my whole life.

And I experienced when I was young that money is nice but not everything. I had a bet with a friend and I ended up having a red Porsche cabriole for a weekend. It was nice and fun and lots of people looked at me and that car. But life didn't really change. My conclusion was that I don't want to work hard to make money to buy expensive things which don't really make my life much better.

And a couple of years later I made holiday in Thailand and I liked it a lot. And then I decided why should I live 11 month in the cold with ugly women when instead I can live all the time in Thailand with many beautiful girls.

Some time ago I read this story (there are many versions all over the internet). I really like this story.

The Mexican Fisherman

One day, a businessman on vacation was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village. He looked out and noticed a fisherman rowing his boat to shore in the afternoon sun. The fisherman docked his boat and hopped out, resting his fishing pole on the side.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The businessman complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The businessman then asked why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The businessman then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a nice afternoon nap with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, señor.”

The businessman scoffed, “I am an American Investment Banker with a PhD in business management, and I could help you. You should spend more time fishing in deeper waters, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the money you make from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats; eventually, you would have a fleet of fishing boats.

Instead of selling your catches of fish to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor and eventually own your own production plant for canned food. You would control the product, processing, and distribution of fresh fish to thousands of people. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA, and eventually New York City where you would run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But señor, how long will this all take?” To which the businessman replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, señor?”

The businessman laughed and said, “That’s the best part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”

“Millions, señor? Then what?”

The businessman said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

I've read that story before, but it should be mandatory reading in school.

I've been the fisherman all my life, but it did come to haunt me in late life.

1 minute ago, stigar said:

Past is past.I looking at the future.

Need to have a future to look to it. When one is in the waiting room for the end all there is is the past. When the present sucks it helps to have a past that one can be satisfied to have had, and my Thai decades are very satisfying to look back on.

7 hours ago, Walker88 said:

So much of one's life is determined by the circumstances of one's birth. I knew at a very early age that the Universe was not the least bit fair. A person is limited by where, when and via whom one materializes on this Earth. Circumstances can run the gamut from 'better luck next time' to 'as you wish'. Birth Lottery 'winners' can feel guilty, because life can be so easy and pleasant. One can be bright or dumb, tall or short, athletic or goofy, attractive or butt ugly. All of that is random and determined by birth, and it sets limits on what one can achieve. Happiness comes from accepting one's limits and finding---within those limits---a place where one might be able to excel. That does not mean monetary success, but rather just general life success.

The only commonality between Birth Lottery winners and losers is both are limited by time. For some, limited time is a blessing, for others it's a curse.

Throughout most of human history the average life has sucked. Sure, almost everybody had some good days and momentary pleasures, but the reason all the different beliefs systems arose is because people needed to think 'this' wasn't all. Some beliefs arose when life sucked so bad that the goal was to get off the Great Wheel and not have to endure yet more iterations that suck. Other beliefs admitted that things suck now, but if one behaves, you get an eternity of pleasures.

As many lives became less sucky and more pleasant, focus shifted away from deities to a desire to just maximize the joys of this one existence.

The clock is always ticking. Bitterness and regret are a waste of that most valuable finite resource: time.

Agreed. I was lucky in that I was raised in NZ at a time when I could do any job I wanted to do, provided I turned up to sign up.

I do feel sorry for young people that some of the jobs I did without any prior qualifications now require a university degree to be accepted, as it must make it very difficult for those that can't afford a university education. Even the military now requires educational passes in certain subjects when I was accepted without any and was offered an apprenticeship.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

36 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

My Life has been guided and influenced by events that happened / did not happen , as everybody else's life has been.

Not a single person alive can say they have influenced their life entirely.

your dead right ,in fact my life changed completely ,by one thing happening ,that at the time did not seem a lot ,but in fact changed the direction of my life .

i find that sometimes the smallest thing can be a life changer ,i have always believed in fate and in some ways that our life is already mapped out for us .

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I dream of living in a house now. Rents in NZ are so absurd that a pension just doesn't cover it and food any more. Apparently due to new government regulations they'll be going up again soon, but I'm pretty sure pensions will not be increased, or at least by enough.

Roll on the next elections when they can all lie about the great things they will do to help pensioners.

Buy a small unit or townhouse before u go Thailand.