At least five passengers killed and 30 others injured in bus accident in Thailand

webfact

Take a walk around any of these Bus stations and have a look at the Bus  tyres, i noticed it because of the Creamy  colour  sticking out   on a particular tyre,     the  canvas  was showing through where the rubber had worn away      ..a death  trap  ........ then i remembered,   Thai's dont do maintenance

Ekami bus station,   i have seen regular daytime breath tests for bus drivers who maybe  had a few beers before driving

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There will be a lot of debate around the cause of this crash but I would expect the lawyers for the bus company to try to reduce their responsibility based on seat belt wearing, or lack of. Firstly they would clarion anyone not wearing a belt would be at increased risk of death or injury to themselves. Secondly as they are thrown around they may cause injury to other passengers. 

A sad loss of life and possibly life changing injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Do they ever reveal, after notifying family of course, the names and ages of those who've died, and been injured?

I don't recall this happening here, but then there is little follow-up on stories here.

Without names and faces victims simply become statistics we quote, often in a false-equivalent argument.

With names, faces and ages - one assumes at least one child was injured in this accident - there is no real public awareness, calls for accountability, and thus a stronger public demand for change.

The young couple who perished, lived in a small house about 200 meters from us. They had two small children at home with grandmother.  The victim had lost her 1st husband in a motorcycle accent a couple years ago.  Life can be hard in Isaan. RiP good folks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Regardless of anyone's theory for the cause of the accident, is there a dashcam? These buses are operated by the State and as such, liability falls ultimately to the State. Lack of video cams would be irresponsible in terms of ensuring public safety and security. 

No mention of a bus dashcam in the article. Hopefully nearby drivers with recording of the bus crash can offer more perspective of the accident.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombat said:

You being thrown in a cell for arguing instead of paying an on the spot fine if I was the copper?

But you were not the copper. And luckily for everyone you never will be a copper with that "I am the law" attitude.

Police dude was traveling in the opposite direction [according to the OP] and he, the copper, recons he can assess the guy was speeding. Total BS on the 'coppers' part. Unless the OP was traveling a sonic [sic] speeds there is no way he could have been ascertained as speeding whilst driving in the opposite direction, unless it is done with an legit speed detecting device.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, either way you are blaming the bus company. Bad driving or bad maintenance. Though would not be surprised if the state run bus company to say on further inspection all the passengers ran to one side of the bus causing the crash, to avoid the huge pending insurance payouts.

These types of VIP buses are also manufactured here by small businesses and not crash tested for safety at all, which is why, as we can see, they crumple like paper in a high speed impact.

There was a documentary on British Channel 4 about these buses some time ago, after three English lads were killed in a similar accident to this one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Made from corrugated cardboard these deathtraps?? 

Pretty much. On that docu I mentioned they observed wood being used in the construction of the bus frames. 

Cue the Thai official saying that "we have the engineers" and excusing the poor construction methods and almost complete lack of safety. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

I have been brainwashed by American safety video that reminded me constantly ... "Speed kills". This flashes thru my mind when i drive. I got going to fast yesterday on my bike and all of a sudden the road turned to gravel. ooops. Too fast but i stayed upright. Once i was driving and around the turn there was a door in my lane. just the other day there was a large auto part in my lane. i advise everyone to slow down. it is things like i mention that can be very surprising. ... and can cause horrible accidents. 

Lol, with your luck at finding things in front of you on the roads, I'd suggest you stop driving/riding while your ahead.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

From the video it is blatant he is driving too fast. He is also in the outside lane. 

What the hell has the 'outside' lane got to do with it ???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Ive seen the video and there doesn't seem to be anything indicating he was trying to brake. 100% driver error.

I beg to differ, maybe you fell asleep  watching it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Poor maintenance we have all heard is ripe here

There it is again, that "we all know/have heard" b0llocks.   

"We all" have not heard that from anywhere credible apart from hackneyed Thaivisa members' hearsay.   Unless you've got something that proves that poor maintenance is "ripe" [sic] (do you mean "rife") here, of course?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

you would see that either he is telling the truth and a tyre burst well before the pillar,

Yes it did but only after it looked like he hit a lamp post or something ... the guy was also doing helluva speed

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There it is again, that "we all know/have heard" b0llocks.   "We all" have not heard that from anywhere credible apart from hackneyed Thaivisa members hearsay.   Unless you've got something that proves that poor maintenance is "ripe" [sic] ( do you mean "rife") here, of course?

Obviously he didn’t literally mean every single person on earth - but you enjoy taking the <deleted>, clearly.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
1 hour ago, Wagga said:

What the hell has the 'outside' lane got to do with it ???

They are not allowed in the outside lane. But well, you know.......

Would that as per the Thaivisa Members' Traffic Act B.E. 2565?  The Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) doesn't seem to mention it but, well, you know...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TimBKK said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There it is again, that "we all know/have heard" b0llocks.   "We all" have not heard that from anywhere credible apart from hackneyed Thaivisa members hearsay.   Unless you've got something that proves that poor maintenance is "ripe" [sic] ( do you mean "rife") here, of course?

Expand  

Obviously he didn’t literally mean every single person on earth - but you enjoy taking the <deleted>, clearly.

Obviously, that's not what I meant, but you continue missing the point if you enjoy that. 

My point was not how many people "have heard" that but that what he claimed was not factual.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Poor maintenance and build quality of buses in Thailand is not a secret nor a conspiracy among members of this forum. It is a fact easily researched on the internet and demonstrated by scores of well documented cases involving fatalities. You would remember all the brake failures of buses on Phuket hills resulting in many deaths.

In your arrogant and insulting rants (and calling out typos) you seem to think people here need to prove to you everything they state. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There it is again, that "we all know/have heard" b0llocks.   

"We all" have not heard that from anywhere credible apart from hackneyed Thaivisa members' hearsay.   Unless you've got something that proves that poor maintenance is "ripe" [sic] (do you mean "rife") here, of course?

Your not suggesting ThaiVisa, now AseanNow members are not credible are you ????

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rtco said:

Yes it did but only after it looked like he hit a lamp post or something ... the guy was also doing helluva speed

I have to disagree, while it does look like he is speeding (he could well be), if you look at the 1st car when it's under the big sign post and count how long it takes to get to the pillar, it take about 3 seconds.

If you do the same with the bus, it takes 4, now they could all have been speeding, but to me they were all doing the same speed, whatever that was.

The above said, when I look at the 1st and 2nd cars they don't look like their speeding, maybe it's to do with the size of the object (bus).