Has Online shopping had its day?

webfact

Almost all non food shopping is online for us.  Food, soaps, TP/PT is about it, from Makro. 

Appliances, electronic, toys/drones, RCs all online.  Even if from Central or HomePro, bought online, and picked up locally (Homepro) or delivered, as discounted if buying online.  Wife makes all my clothes, so can't think of what else I'd buy at brick & mortar.  Only pop in for hands on, before ordering online ... ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you are complaining about.

If online order is the only or cheapest possible way to get anything then the only alternative is not to order anything, or not?

You remine me a lot of my first wife, never stops nagging.

There are countless items I buy online here, that I cannot find retail. Alot of food products, such as dates, quinoa, supplements, organic rice cakes, etc., etc. The list is endless.

And in the US I buy anything from razor blades, to electronics, to coolers, camping equipment, clothing (a Hugo Boss suit that is listed as used, was worn once, cost $800 new, and $80 on ebay, my favorite brand of shirts cost $275 new, worn once and it is $30), the list goes on. I save a fortune shopping online and it is convenient. Retail shopping is my last resort. Nearly always more expensive. Basic groceries and hardware is about all I buy retail. 

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Where I live you can't drive to a shop to get what you want, so online buying is my only choice for things I may want. So if you are buying 5 to 10 items a week and there is freight on each one, the freight adds up.

Shouldn't that be "I (you) could drive to a shop to get what you want BUT the cost to get there makes it cheaper to buy online"?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I use Lazada a lot.  I got fed up going round a store, being told "no hab" when I KNOW they hab!  Sitting in my chair and browsing is so much easier, and with a better range too.

Plus you don't get the staff following you around as if you are a shoplifter.

29 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

I use it all the time, but it makes me feel like I'm living in E.M. Forster's story "The Machine Stops".

Great reference.  I have teenage kids, and have told one of them several times that the real world is not a place where everything you need or want just shows up on your doorstep with a couple of mouse clicks.  They don't believe me and in a sense they may be right.  But I want to raise them to see that as a luxury/convenience and not something they can be dependent on. 

That said, I think that online shopping is still in its infancy.  It's just way too much more efficient than big box brick-and-mortar stores as a means of distributing products and connecting buyers and sellers at all levels.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Peterphuket said:

Even that, mijnheer vandeventer, if I order 10 times something with an average transport costs of 45 thb, it is only 450 thb in total, in the Netherlands you'll get only 1 product at home, for 450 thb.

vandeventer is not Dutch. He's American, ran away to Australia and settled in Fang. He doesn't have any knowledge of Netherlands.

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, khunjeff said:

Is it just me, or does "Michael Bridge" sound an awful lot like Dan About Thailand? ????

I think he originally joined to set up the specific "golf" section of the forums just before Covid but appears to have branched out - especially as the golf section seems to be in a bit of a coma.....

Looks nothing like Dan and I think style is different.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:06 AM, vandeventer said:

It cost more with shipping but at least you can get want you want.

Actually shipping costs here are very low, often free through Lazada. But i think many are subsidised by the CCP. If we had to pay full delivery costs maybe not so keen.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:40 AM, webfact said:

Has Online shopping had its day?

It is BIG here in the USA as are most of the people ????

Don't get me wrong I use it a lot to buy things that are not available in this State for my hobbies etc

But now what seems insane to me is for instance Target parking lot

All the front rows of parking is reserved for drive thru order pickups

Folks are actually ordering all their groceries & have Target workers go with a wagon & pick their items

You give them X amount of time then go park in one of those spaces let them know order#xxx is here in space xxx & they come out

& get this....they put it in your eco bags in your trunk etc. The drivers usually large women never get out of the dang car

So for folks like us that do our own shopping now in the store is not crowded with customers much but always crowded with Target workers with their Giant red wagons speeding around doing multiple orders picking which their software consolidates etc. So if 10 shoppers want bananas they grab 10 bunches etc

Restaurants?  Same took my wife & daughter to a lunch yesterday at a Chinese restaurant...Ony one other table had people...While there at least 4-5 grab type drivers come in & pick up orders. Exceot here they use cars not scooters

Stopped at a Starbucks same things...a wall with ready to pickup coffee cups segregated by sections for the phone in folks....I mean where is the pleasure in that?

So yeah I do buy things online that I can't get locally or even used things from Ebay etc but this new wave of online everything is taking some already fat lazy people & turning them into real Jabba the Hun's

Edited by mania