Bangkok’s Bumrungrad Hospital ranked country’s best in global survey

webfact

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is fair enough that some government hospitals is up to date, especially army connected hospitals, but normal Thais are not transfered there from their local hospitals unless they have some priority (Government employed or other Vip). To be transfered from a village hospital to a  provincial government hospital, means you are dying, and most likely to late.

My experience is similar to yours.

No it doesn't. I was transferred immediately from my local rural hospital to the Provincial hospital in Chiang Rai when I presented with a sceptic foot which required immediate surgery.

The surgical and post surgical care was excellent, although the food was awful.

Payment was not even discussed until I was ready for discharge. The amount was reasonable and I was able to pay over three months.

Subsequent treatment at my local hospital has been excellent. It too is painted in a virulent shade of electric green.

I have to report that I didn't die, at least not that I noticed!

There is a steady stream of ambulance vans which transfer patients from all over the province to the very large and well equipped provincial hospital.

I will admit that waiting times for follow up appointments with the surgeon can take up to three hours or so - take a book!

On balance, I think the government hospitals are good. The system works, and all treatment throughout was provided on the basis of clinical need and not my ethnicity or presumed financial resources.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Hahaha.......rushed to hospital awhile ago out in the sticks.

Told the doctor I had insurance....the doctor turned to the nurse and told her to put me in the "VIP room".........

A room with a bed, blood all down the walls (to be fair, probably from squashed mosquitos)......it was en suite in that it had a squat toilet and handbasin. The handbasin was hanging off the wall with so many ants crawling all over it you could hardly see any porcelain.......how we larfed.

Well if you could "larf" you could hardly have been that ill to be rushed to hospital or were you suffering from serious delusions and it was in fact a psychiatric hospital? ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am glad you have had such positive experiences..... but I assure you there are many complaints too. 

He most likely never really been sick perhaps a over charge sponge bath sadly majority of Thai can't afford even my burger downstairs was overcharged!  Once maybe but the main priority is $$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$

17 hours ago, sungod said:

As there are in just about every hospital in the world...........

It's not purely the number of complaints - it's the system for complaining. In Thailand complaints are ignored and there is no system for dealing with them.

17 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

There's always complaints...at every level of any service industry.

Unfortunately the situation in Thailand, including the defamation laws probably makes it even LESS likely that people will complain and the way they are dealt with will also suppress this sort of problem.

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Stood outside I see Bentleys, Rolls Royce, Ferraris, Lamborghinis.

I can find no medical papers anywhere that suggest these vehicles have any influence of the efficacy of medication - unless you are implying that doctors reduce their care for those with less money. ... or they own the cars.

15 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Wrong. Was that a guess?

I attend Samitivej Hospital soi 49 for all my medical needs in Thailand, it's also a private hospital, and provides an excellent service at a lot lower cost than Bumrungrad Hospital.

Personal choice

As a patient at both Bumrungrad and Samitivej over the years, I prefer Samitivej for a number of reasons. 

For me, in particular Bumrungrad's handling of the Moderna vaccine last year was extremely disappointing. Samitivej did a much better and more transparent job.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sungod said:

You get what you pay for, had some excellent surgery on some long term sports injuries enabling me me to stay very active.

I would imagine most on here with negative comments are more down to jealousy.

"you gt what you pay"? - that is a highly provocative comment that raises all sorts of questions of ethics etc.

As for "jealousy" - hardly an argument, is it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Thunglom said:

"you gt what you pay"? - that is a highly provocative comment that raises all sorts of questions of ethics etc.

As for "jealousy" - hardly an argument, is it?

You clearly get what you pay for, many of the techniques /equipment are not available at ordinarily hospitals. Again, not limited to private hospitals in Thailand.

Whats up, you sound jealous, ever had a procedure at Bumrungrad, its very good you know.

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

You are the perfect customer for the Thai healthcare system (and the American one too). Very little understanding of how a healthcare system can work and an innate fear of illness and a forlorn hope that money and technology can save you.

“You get what you pay for” is a very ill- founded premise. As I said earlier that is a perception based in the inequitable nature of healthcare in Thailand. Itself a serious fault in the system.

One of the many problems inherent in the system is the Thai obsession with “face” – as I said “This situation leads to serious questions about the ethics at Thai hospitals. Treatment of patients can be dictated by finance rather than genuine needs” – “Thailand’s hospitals follow a long Thai tradition of attaching great importance to “face”. Just because they are clean with Corbusier style furnishings and fish tanks, it doesn’t mean they are “the best”.

It is part and parcel of this “face” that patients are impressed by the presence of shiny chromium plated machines that go “beep”.

Why?

What are they for?

How often do you need them and are people trained properly to use them and how many people?

True healthcare is not solely reliant on technology and much of the “high-end” machines are in fact only relevant for a small number of conditions.

Government hospitals which are lower cost in general, have a wide range of technologies available. Whereas, private hospitals often have limitations to the treatments they offer. There are occasions where a seemingly luxurious private hospital has to pass patients over to government care as they don’t have the facilities to deal with it. Passing patients from one hospital to another is a particularly unsavoury feature of Thai healthcare.

The key to good healthcare is diagnosis. The ability to pinpoint an illness quickly and accurately and then proceed on the most appropriate treatment – unaffected by financial considerations or questionable ethics. This doesn’t come with twinkling digital displays or money, it comes with well-trained, ethical doctors. . and we already know that doctors rove from one hospital to another.

Whats up [sic], you sound jealous, ever had a procedure at Bumrungrad, its very good you know.”

I find this line particularly telling. You clearly don’t know anything about healthcare or putting forward an argument. How do you figure “jealousy” as a factor in the evidence I’ve presented?

Secondly I’ve already outlined how pointless anecdotal or personal experience is and a comment like “its [sic] very good you know.” Just shows how tenuous your grasp is of the issues if you think that is a valid remark.

Complete drivel

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:09 AM, ozfarang said:

At what out of pocket cost to you?

If you want to pay through the nose Bumrungrad Hospital is the place to go.

My UK heath insurance company have a list of hospitals they will not pay any claims from ,in Thailand it is Bumrungrag ,just too expensive for what they do .

I had a hip replacement done at a locale privet hospital ,they made a very good job no problems , a lot cheaper than Bumrungrad.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

It means you are talking tosh, simple really.

Goodnight.

Yet you still fail to explain yourself.

I realise it must be annoying when the flaws in your post are displayed for all to see and it is probably a dent to your ego. But rather than outline your case you just resort to invective and ad hominem. It just makes your posts look even more insufficient. But then you are flogging a dead horse.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Yet you still fail to explain yourself.

I realise it must be annoying when the flaws in your post are displayed for all to see and it is probably a dent to your ego. But rather than outline your case you just resort to invective and ad hominem. It just makes your posts look even more insufficient. But then you are flogging a dead horse.

I read your posts, not least because your first post was in part commenting on what I had said. I didn't reply initially because I really didn't want to get into what had all the makings of a "willy waving contest".

But I have to say  @sungod is pretty much on the mark. You talk about evidence, but you don't really present any, just a mismash of opinions and (your) observations covering staffing, their training, language skills and uniforms with nothing really to substantiate them.

of course mere "laypeople" are bound to have their views formed by their experience. It is inevitable. My impressions of Thai Hospitals, formed as I explained by considerable personal experience, are overwhelmingly positive. If you are, or were, a clinical healthcare provider then come clean and say so. It would perhaps give your opinions some weight. If not then really your opinion carry the same, or less weight than those of  anyone else.

Incidentally, I did have cause to complain. About one thing. A "nurse aid" ( health care assistant - yellow tunic and black trousers) who was an obvious "Tom" ( butch lesbian) made some very offensive and lascivious remarks in my hearing about my teenage daughter. I speak enough Thai to understand them. I complained about it to the head nurse, and the "nurse aid" was moved from working in the bay of the ward I was on.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I read your posts, not least because your first post was in part commenting on what I had said. I didn't reply initially because I really didn't want to get into what had all the makings of a "willy waving contest".

But I have to say  @sungod is pretty much on the mark. You talk about evidence, but you don't really present any, just a mismash of opinions and (your) observations covering staffing, their training, language skills and uniforms with nothing really to substantiate them.

of course mere "laypeople" are bound to have their views formed by their experience. It is inevitable. My impressions of Thai Hospitals, formed as I explained by considerable personal experience, are overwhelmingly positive. If you are, or were, a clinical healthcare provider then come clean and say so. It would perhaps give your opinions some weight. If not then really your opinion carry the same, or less weight than those of  anyone else.

Incidentally, I did have cause to complain. About one thing. A "nurse aid" ( health care assistant - yellow tunic and black trousers) who was an obvious "Tom" ( butch lesbian) made some very offensive and lascivious remarks in my hearing about my teenage daughter. I speak enough Thai to understand them. I complained about it to the head nurse, and the "nurse aid" was moved from working in the bay of the ward I was on.

You are the evidence! You demonstrate exactly how and why people are unqualified to make valid criticisms of healthcare - you don't even understand the inherent flaws and lack of value in personal and anecdotal evidence. Nor do you recognise the evidence I've presented. You do however take the classic non-argument of "sealioning" an argument that you don't like but can't disagree with. It would be impossible to have a discussion with you as you don't even speak my language

Edited by Thunglom

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

It would be impossible to have a discussion with you as you don't even speak my language

We agree on something, I told you it was drivel ????

You try and belittle people by your self proclaimed superiority over others, no different from throwing insults.

At the end of the day you are just a troll looking for a fight.

Goodbye.

Edited by sungod
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, Hummin said:

How do you know this? 

Just one example. I needed a MRI at Bangkok Hospital Korat. I was put on a hospital bus, driven to the government hospital, put in the front of the line for the MRI and then driven back.

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

You are the evidence! You demonstrate exactly how and why people are unqualified to make valid criticisms of healthcare - you don't even understand the inherent flaws and lack of value in personal and anecdotal evidence. Nor do you recognise the evidence I've presented. You do however take the classic non-argument of "sealioning" an argument that you don't like but can't disagree with. It would be impossible to have a discussion with you as you don't even speak my language

I had to look "Sealioning" up. It is defined (Wikipedia) as: "Sealioning is a harassment tactic by which a participant in a debate or online discussion pesters the other participant with disingenuous questions under the guise of sincerity, hoping to erode the patience or goodwill of the target to the point where they appear unreasonable." 

You seem to have extended the definition to include merely disagreeing with your views.

You are absolutely right - it is quite impossible to have a discussion with you.

Sungod is also right, it's drivel, pompous drivel!

• Like 1