Passenger bus driver who crashed in Saraburi on Saturday, killing 7 and injuring dozens, arrested for taking meth while driving

snoop1130

รถทัวร์พังยับ-1-728x546-1-696x522.jpeg

PHOTO: Dailynews

A double-decker bus driver who crashed into a foundation post of a bridge and killed seven passengers in Saraburi was captured today, March 14th, after being found taking drugs while driving.

Mueang Saraburi police chief Chetchai Sethasiri revealed that the officials and more than 15 witnesses had been questioned to seek more information and the cause of the accident. One of them was bus driver Narinsart Hongsa, 30, who was previously taken for physical examination and found substance abuse (Methamphetamine) in his body.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/14/passenger-bus-driver-who-crashed-in-saraburi-on-saturday-killing-7-and-injuring-dozens-arrested-for-taking-meth-while-driving/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-03-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's not so shocking that he was arrested for using Meth, its how many of these long haul drivers, Bus drivers who drive overnight stay awake. Looks like the bus company may be going out of business after it settles the bills for the deaths, the injuries and then further compensation to the uninjured who now have PTSD/mental anguish from being involved in a crash where people died.

42 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

But they tend to drive very fast so they can go back and forth as many times possible in one day instead.

Let’s hope so. These bus companies should be more controlled. BTW, haven’t those deadly (especially in the hands of irresponsible, reckless, untrained “bus drivers”) double deckers been banned already?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's not so shocking that he was arrested for using Meth, its how many of these long haul drivers, Bus drivers who drive overnight stay awake. Looks like the bus company may be going out of business after it settles the bills for the deaths, the injuries and then further compensation to the uninjured who now have PTSD/mental anguish from being involved in a crash where people died.

Won't all the passengers on the bus be insured. Yes I know. This is Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

of course nothing is or can remedy the losses of the deceased…

but I do think that going forward, one way that i think may at least help is to not only charge the employEE with the relevant crimes, but also look to hold the employERS as a possible co-defendant..

Did they know or have reasonable opportunity to know about this persons conduct?  Did they exercise due caution?  If not, then I can see a case being made for a co-conspirator or co-defendant.

…. hitting corporations with fines, asset seizures and in the most extreme, jailing individuals who - as officers of said company - contribute to these crimes, might help to add a layer of potential deterrence. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Of course, there should be mandatory drug and alcohol tests at the start of each shift....it's not rocket science...but TiT

I remember a a report on this forum where a bus company was derided by members of the forum for advertising that it tested all its drivers for drugs every day prior to starting their shift. Interesting how attitudes change, i wonder why?

33 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

In my 14 years experience here the silver, and others, mini vans are the worst of all. They drive flat out like maniacs, constantly drive centimetres from your rear bumper, regardless of safety to their passengers and other road users. Avoid.

I would say the majority not all . Otherwise I agree , avoid if possible . If i see them in my rear vision i pull over and let the van go . 

• Like 2