Retirement Visa by the 65K thb method

This option is little discussed and maybe it's because you need a 1 year track record of monthly deposits in advance of applying, living on short term visas and requires getting a bank account somehow.  

In my case I was on retirement visas for years in the days when my embassy provided a letter as proof of income.   I left Thailand buI had, and still have an active Thai bank account.  So I'm considering returning to Thailand, anew, using the simpler visa methods to stay in or in/out of the country and to start making the monthly deposits of 65K to my bank account, until a year has passed and then apply the retirement visa.  As I understand it you're not required to maintain a balance, so you can withdraw the money.  Just need the bank's proof of a year of 65K deposits. Can this work or there's 'a fly in the ointment'?

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, enter Thailand visa exempt.

Place 800k in your Thai bank to obtain your non O retirement.

Then obtain extension using money in bank method.

All very simple but requires you to have the funds.

If that's impossible use an agent.

Could I butt in and ask.....I am returning soon too after having been away for a while and I have a Thai account with over the 800K Thb needed to applu for a non O......However I am unclear as to whether the funds need to be shown from coming in from overseas, which in my case they haven't........ My funds have been there for years from savings etc within the Kingdom...Thanks......................

1 hour ago, timendres said:

The only real requirement for the income method is that the deposits show a clear indication that they are international transfers (which many people get stuck on because some transfer services do not appear as international transfers).

Thank you for that advice.  Would you know, assuming all the transfers are successfully logged as international, if the money once in the account is free to be withdrawn and there are no balance requirements either during the year of depositing or at the end of that period when applying for the retirement visa based on 65K method?

5 hours ago, bojo said:

Could I butt in and ask.....I am returning soon too after having been away for a while and I have a Thai account with over the 800K Thb needed to applu for a non O......However I am unclear as to whether the funds need to be shown from coming in from overseas, which in my case they haven't........ My funds have been there for years from savings etc within the Kingdom...Thanks......................

You would not be required to show that the funds came from o/s.

Having been in your Thai bank account for some time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

@SmokeandIce @timendres Many transfer companies use various methods to get your money into your Thai bank account which get designated as other than intl.

Which one do you use which labels the transfer as international?

My Thai bank is Citibank.  My transfers are bank to bank - Citibank US to Citibank TH

I'm currently on a Non O extension based on marriage, but already laying the groundwork for next year, I'm planning on going for the "retirement" extension using the monthly deposit method. 

As I understand it, you need to show monthly deposits of at least 65k and can prove it came from overseas, so I'm using monthly Wise transfers to my Bangkok Bank and make sure I get the international transfer code (FTT) in my bank book each month. 

I've never heard of Jomtien IO asking for proof of a pension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Yes, you are free to spend the money. The only requirement is you show evidence that at least 65k is deposited in the account Each Month and it originated From Outside Thailand.  I use this method for my annual extensions - previously used the Embassy letter until the USA Embassy stopped issuing them.

In my case I use Wise (formerly Transferwise) to transfer the money from my USA bank to my Bangkok Bank Account which the bank records with the FTT (foreign transfer) code.  This is not the case with many other Thai banks, they will record it as domestic because Wise uses one of their partner banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank) for the funds - if your account is with another Thai bank, the funds will come from a partner bank and they will treat it as a domestic transfer.  Even with Wise, there have been some hiccups, i.e. they sending money through Kasikorn instead of Bangkok Bank resulting in it not being recorded with the FTT account.  In such cases, I had sufficient funds available to make a second transfer by another means that did get properly recorded thus still had no problem showing I made the required transfer in each month.

As with many things dealing with Immigration here, the documentation requirements can differ between offices. I use Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration.  For proof of monthly transfers, they want an original bank letter listing the foreign deposits to your account for the 12 months preceding your renewal application (this is in addition to the usual letter providing evidence you have an account in your name which is also required for those using the 800k in the bank method).

Thank you all the details. Based on what you've said it looks like I'll need to take a closer look at how those Citibank transfers are registering at the Citibank TH side.  

And by the way this is looking to be a great work around to the, onerous in my opinion, 800K method.

Edited by LatPhrao

7 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Even with Wise, there have been some hiccups, i.e. they sending money through Kasikorn instead of Bangkok Bank resulting in it not being recorded with the FTT account. 

If/when that happens you can go to a Kasikorn International Trade Center (one in Pattaya on Pattaya Klang) and bring your passport, Bangkok Bank book, and they'll give you a letter showing the money came from outside Thailand for 1 or 2 hundred baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

to start making the monthly deposits of 65K to my bank account, until a year has passed

At which time you'll nearly be at 800,000. Admittedly 20,000 short and two months short of seasoning.

What will be your path to an extension of stay based on retirement? Especially the timing? 30-day TVE? 30-day extension, 90-day Non-O, 1 year extension?

The 800,000 MiB option is probably the most foolproof method. Some offices may not accept the income or combi methods for the first extension.

17 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

My Thai bank is Citibank.

Are you sure? Think Citi Bank is selling their SE Asia assets to UOB?

Get a Bangkok Bank account as soon as possible. Don't ask why now, just do it.

And start transferring more than 65,000 THB to that account via WISE. 

The income method is not a "work-around" it is an acceptable option  so designated by Immigration "decrees".

This option is greatly discussed here.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Thank you all the details. Based on what you've said it looks like I'll need to take a closer look at how those Citibank transfers are registering at the Citibank TH side.

If Citibank can provide proof that the transfers came from abroad. The rules state if you recently arrived with a non-o visa 2 or 3 transfers of 65k baht from abroad should be accepted. But the rules are a bit vague about doing it. The office where you apply could take in consideration your previous stay here and deny your application.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fredscats said:

Lots of flies......will not do just showing amounts   need confirmation letters of pensions coming in   plus plus plus whatever extra the imm dream up to get you to use agent

What are you on about? Are you saying that it´s only possible to live on income from pension on a retirement visa? So, that means you do not think they allow people to stay and live on their possible savings?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bbko said:

If/when that happens you can go to a Kasikorn International Trade Center (one in Pattaya on Pattaya Klang) and bring your passport, Bangkok Bank book, and they'll give you a letter showing the money came from outside Thailand for 1 or 2 hundred baht.

Sorry, I forgot to include, also needed is the Wise transfer details, and to print out all.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What are you on about? Are you saying that it´s only possible to live on income from pension on a retirement visa? So, that means you do not think they allow people to stay and live on their possible savings?

Taken from Siam legal

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

C6A9CDE1-FAF1-46F8-A76E-334B377D25C9.jpeg

Edited by Hummin

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The problem for me was to get the incoming 65k shown as overseas income. Many of the bank don't show it as such, then it's a PITA to get the necessary documentation.

Need to talk to someone in the bank who knows what they are doing.  A few taps on the keyboard, hit print & done.

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If Citibank can provide proof that the transfers came from abroad. The rules state if you recently arrived with a non-o visa 2 or 3 transfers of 65k baht from abroad should be accepted. But the rules are a bit vague about doing it. The office where you apply could take in consideration your previous stay here and deny your application.

The Citibank US to Citibank TH did work as proof for immigrations in the past, 3 + years ago,   when I was living Thailand and US embassy stopped issuing the proof of income letters and Immigration wanted documentation.  This has to be the first time ever I can't follow what you are saying.  Rules?  2 or 3 transfers? My plan would be a record of 12 monthly  transfers and independent of the type(s) of visas during that time.   Why would Immigration consider my previous stay and deny my application?  What would previous stay have to do with a new stay?  As I never had any issues with previous retirement visas - 6 years of them.