Say goodbye to Big Carl as Carl’s Jr leaves Thailand by the end of March

webfact

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You must not be from the US or ever visited the US at least on the west coast.  Carl's Jr. is amongst the big 6, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in The Box, Taco Bell, and KFC are the others.  On the East coast They have different names for Carl's.

Carl's jr. is called Hardees in the South. Similar menu with some southern options added.

• Like 2

Ate twice at Carls in Mega Bangna. The 1st time it was alright, 2nd time horrible. Staff unresponsive, soggy fries, burger tasteless. I never returned. The problem that many foreign chains have in Thailand is the quality of the staff. If you pay peanuts  ..........

• Like 1

I really hope Tim Hortons stays. I was surprised 2 years ago when they opened their branch near Canadian embassy and they seem to have expanded really fast. A bit too fast for my liking, but the one inside mitrtown seems to be always busy.

???? for Timmies!!!!

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

On the East coast They have different names for Carl's.

They are called Hardees in Dubai iirc. 

The Carl's Jr. outlets in Singapore are of such better quality and value, that it is no surprise to see the Thai outlets which paled in comparison, closing down for good. In Singapore they have the famous Thickburger which is like a quarterpounder and they have the salsa bar. Two of the best things which were not available in Thailand. However I did occasionally enjoy a Carl's Jr.

Last time I went to a Carl's in Central Pattaya about three months ago they served me a milkshake with no cream, the plastic cup was only half full and they expected me to just accept it with no explanation. I went back to the counter and asked why the milkshake was not the usual and they shrugged their shoulders and said, "machine broken," so I demanded a refund for my full meal and left. Staff appeared not to be bothered. No apology was forthcoming. If they had explained at time of purchase I would have had a coke and been fine. Little things. 

If I remember Sunbelt were selling the franchises about ten years ago...?

Been on the slide for a while now and no surprised they are gone. The management and control of staff and processes seemed to be non-existent. Outlets appeared unkempt and not as clean as competitors. If there were any farang in upper management they have probably been too busy with their trousers down at their ankles (two branches quickly opened in Pattaya would suggest this to be the case) to oversee it properly, or they were too confused or befuddled with the local way of doing things. 

It's very hard to do business here, as I continually am learning after 31 years. They are almost impossible to work with. Most farang will and do fail. 

5 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Ate twice at Carls in Mega Bangna. The 1st time it was alright, 2nd time horrible. Staff unresponsive, soggy fries, burger tasteless. I never returned. The problem that many foreign chains have in Thailand is the quality of the staff. If you pay peanuts  ..........

That is a big problem. Poor management is another. 

A wise and successful Thai businessman once told me you don't pay more for workers, as they will still be as useless, lazy and incompetent if you pay them more.

He said, "Just hire more of them."

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Don't know, Ive never eaten Burger King.

Popped over to Aus last year and my friend brought me a takeaway Mega Jack meal, it was lush.

Do Burger King here do the Mega Jack ?

Hungry Jacks is just the Aussie version of Burger King owned by Jack Cowin (hence the name) and they do not do the Mega Jack here in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hopefully Hungry Jacks replaces them, love me a Mega Jack burger !

Hungry Jacks is Aussie version of Burger King because of their name dispute with some local company. So basically, it's Burger King, but has some of their own offerings. Like most, they have some local offerings which are not available in the rest of the World. Obviously BK doesn't have Mega Jack nor Country baguette, but instead of Mega Jack they have a Whopper.

• Like 1

Well, sorry to see their Asoke branch going then ......... in all fairness, their food was less oily but due to high rents and franchise fees as overpriced as all the other stuff in the same category. 

The top end is Burger King at Swampy airport; two sets of inedible kitchen accident at 878 Baht - I mean there is a limit to everything. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hopefully Hungry Jacks replaces them, love me a Mega Jack burger !

There are many Hungry Jacks in Thailand. They are called Burger King here, as they are everywhere else in the world apart from Australia and New Zealand. Wikipedia explains why. I knew the man who owned the franchise in NZ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

No I am not, nor the majority of the people in Thailand it seems.  We are talking Thailand here and I would imagine they were not basing their business model solely on American expats.

Seems you missed the point, but oh well no loss for you

• Haha 2

Aussie Wagyu cheeseburger at Roadhouse BBQ on cnr of Rama IV & Surawong is very nice imho. worth a look if you're in the area.

I've never tried Carl's Jr so I guess I'll have to get in before the end of March to see what all the fuss is about.

14 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Thailand should get rid of all Western Fast Food or else in 10 years they will be obese like Americans!   FACT!

It isn't only the diet to blame, it's the size of their meals. I often used to have just a starter and dessert and that was easily enough. No-one really needs to eat such huge portions as Americans seem to.

Big Carl? I thought it was JR!

I am not a big fast food guy, but if I do indulge, I generally prefer Carls, which is a better product than the junk served at McDonalds or Burger King. At least they put some real toppings on the burgers, and serve some decent alternatives. The few times I indulge at the others, I am astonished at how low quality the food is. One would think with the low labor costs here, the lack of workers comp and other benefits paid to employees, that they would turn a profit. But, the economy is decimated here, thanks for the "great sabotage", so this is not surprising. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

You find many good small cafés which roast their own coffee. No need to get coffee in Horton's or Starbucks.

No argument here. I drink my coffee straight black...nothing in it. While there are many small cafes with decent coffee...for B29 Burger King is best overall IMO, especially for the price. Rich & bold, but not bitter. As good or better than any I've tried and half to one-third the price. :coffee1:

33 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Thailand should get rid of all Western Fast Food or else in 10 years they will be obese like Americans!   FACT!

Having yourself a laugh now aren't you....obesity is already here and so is diabetes. The washing machines repairman that fixed my leak under the front loaders seal yesterday was at least 140kg and only about 165cm......with what he charges for just a house call, and no its not because I am a falang, it appears he eats very well.

Only tried them once many years ago, their burgers were more expensive and found better value at Burger King.

Surprising they lasted so long, most times did not see many customers eating in their stores in Bangkok.

Edited by userabcd

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are many Hungry Jacks in Thailand. They are called Burger King here, as they are everywhere else in the world apart from Australia and New Zealand. Wikipedia explains why. I knew the man who owned the franchise in NZ.

Rubbish burgers

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I actually liked eating Jollibee's when I was in the Philippines. Better than some of the other food down there.

"better than some of the other food down there" - that, my friend, is a low bar in the Phils. For starters, chicken pagpag, anyone?

Back to Carl's Jr ... went once to the curious outlet near Nana after hearing their burgers were supposed to a cut above McD, BK etc. Thought it was dire.