Thinking of getting a new A/C? Here's an interesting paper - Inverter vs Non-Inverter

Crossy

34 minutes ago, Tom H said:

….but the compressor needs power:). (vrv).

I'm a bit confused by this statement, particularly because it's the compressor which has the "inverter" bit controlling its speed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonray said:

I wonder if the same savings (or more) might be realized with an environment where the dewpoint temp is very high, such as Thailand.

Condensing water out of the air certainly gives up energy which must then be pumped away.

Just how much that would reduce the efficiency would be interesting to calculate. Task A. Measure how much water your A/C condenses in a 24 hour period ???? 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tonray said:

I did not look at the full data sheet but the graphic states this was done in Saudi Arabia, where the climate is typically very hot but also dry. I wonder if the same savings (or more) might be realized with an environment where the dewpoint temp is very high, such as Thailand. Interesting.....We have inverters in 3 rooms (about 3 years old) and I'm quite happy with their energy use profile, monthly bills are quite reasonable, in most months less than I was paying in a small condo with an older unit previously.

Interesting, as using 1 non, in bedroom now, on 16 ish hours a day, at least, and bill is 2500 usually, 2900 thing month, 5-600, almost 700 PEA units this month.   No real cool season, PKK.

Old house, 3 non, again, 16 hr a day, had a cool season (Udon Thani), and high bills, 1200 units / 5000 baht.

New house will be 2 inverters, and expecting to double the bill, at least, using 1200 units a month, though most will be solar, so ROI should be quick, 5 ish yrs.  Be interesting to see AC savings, and now, one 9 or 11k BTU unit.  New house, one each 18k & 24k BTU units, with both unit probably running 12 hours daily.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So since I record every visit to the petrol station with, mileage, trip mileage, car’s reported trip consumption, fuel price and volume, in a spreadsheet that then computes a bunch of other numbers like overall fuel cost and usage per km and exactly how much a the car costs per km driven (฿32.91) and for fuel (฿1.793) all that makes me an equally sad individual? ????

Yea, I'm constantly crunching #s also, especially when something new.  Crunched the #s for the MG ZS different fuels / driving, E85/20/91.  So happy designed for E85.  Drones, different batteries, flight time, battery C rating, different craft weights / modifications.

Can't manage money if you don't know where it's going.   People should keep track of every expense for 3 to 6 months, and they'd be amazed at what they actually spend it on.

USA, my dining out budget was more than most of my peers income ... ????  Where my mandatory living expenses, were probably 1/4 of theirs, since usually single, no kids, and rarely had to pay for housing, being a 'slum lord', paid the mortgages and afforded me a free apartment to live in.  Didn't make monthly income, but built equity really fast.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Crunched the #s for the MG ZS different fuels / driving, E85/20/91.  So happy designed for E85.

I’m currently checking between the 2 recommended fuels E20 & 95. It’s clear that 95 gives better fuel consumption but I don’t drive enough to have enough datum points yet to do the calculations for cost while smoothing out for different trips. It is looking as if 95 is actually cheaper despite its higher price. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 7:16 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

And the point you are making with that blindingly obvious statement is?

Compressor goes on off 30 times a day. On/Off is connected with a higher electricity:)…Read long commend below from other guy. Sorry for writing short.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Compressor goes on off 30 times a day. On/Off is connected with a higher electricity:)…Read long commend below from other guy. Sorry for writing short.

The whole point of an inverter unit is that the compressor doesn't cycle on/off. It dynamically adjusts its output as required by the needed cooling, very rarely actually switching off (most inverter units have a minimum cooling level at which they do power off the compressor).

Also inverters are "soft starting" so there's no large switch on surge, this is nice if you have solar or a genset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:46 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

We replaced four twenty-year-old Mitsubishi air-conditioners with new units that have inverter technology. The old units had been cleaned and maintained properly. There was a noticeable drop in our electricity bills after the switch.

Same for me and I pay 9 baht per unit for electricity. A big saving.

And the inverter unit is much quieter.

No science behind my comment. Just an observation.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Talking about an inverter, no it doesn’t, so writing both short and wrong? 55555

it goes on when you switch the AC on and off when you switch it off

So it is technically possible to switch the AC on and 30 times a day though that would be incredibly strange behaviour, negating the AC’s thermostat control.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

But they are more expensive buying (consider cheap Thai elec.) and the electronics more touchy , so in case of repairs more expensive they told to me.....so as always pro's and con's....????

• Like 1

I installed new Daikin Inverter A/C's to living room and main bedroom in 2019/20 to replace original non-inverter units that were over 10yrs old. Was able to get bigger BTU for same physical condenser size (compressor units a bit bigger though). Therefore the replacements inside fitted perfectly where the old ones had been. Upshot is that the extra capacity can cool the rooms faster and (by my thinking) is less taxing on the units. Therefore longer life perhaps? Either way the new units are much, much quieter and the energy savings dramatic. My electric bills dropped by about 30-40%. Now I'm thinking about replacing a 13yr old fridge freezer that is non-inverter and gets very hot on the side panel at times. Anyone here have any experience with the Samsung inverter fridge freezers and their efficiency?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Anyone here have any experience with the Samsung inverter fridge freezers and their efficiency?

Yes.  Large side by side bought 7 years ago.  Hardly shows up on energy meter.  Nothing gets hot.  Consistent temps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

I installed new Daikin Inverter A/C's to living room and main bedroom in 2019/20 to replace original non-inverter units that were over 10yrs old. Was able to get bigger BTU for same physical condenser size (compressor units a bit bigger though). Therefore the replacements inside fitted perfectly where the old ones had been. Upshot is that the extra capacity can cool the rooms faster and (by my thinking) is less taxing on the units. Therefore longer life perhaps? Either way the new units are much, much quieter and the energy savings dramatic. My electric bills dropped by about 30-40%. Now I'm thinking about replacing a 13yr old fridge freezer that is non-inverter and gets very hot on the side panel at times. Anyone here have any experience with the Samsung inverter fridge freezers and their efficiency?

I bought this one 3 month ago , works fine , anyway when doing his non frost defrosting get warm too , is needed to defrost .

Bought because my Toshiba " played dead " ????...., but was not    ???? as a few days later i tried him (i disconnected Toshiba when not cooling anymore ...... but seems he had an overwhelming ice behind the inside back part .... so fooled me , having 2 working fridges now and leaving Thailand in 4 months to go live home country again  ????

Anyway the Samsung has sliding 70 cm shelves on wheels and vegetable container also on sliding wheels , perfect fridge and as inverter low consumption , and 5 in 1 possible positions , separate circuits , all specifications what some latest Samsung inverter fridges can ..... it is all listed  in the attached  PDF, making one big fridge , or 1 small fridge out of the freezer , holiday mode , etc

If go buy  lotus or Big C   check several days different as those fridge prices change up and down  by day , just like the airlines ???? ..., Samsung  was 500 cheaper than when i bought few day before that Hisense i returned .....so be aware when buying !!

Had first bought a Hisense ..... but changed it to this one by Lotus , as  Hisense cooling not accurate i found 

Samsung RT43K6230S8 Interior layout.jpg

SAMSUNG Normal price RT43K6230S8_ST 15.6Q.pdf

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, david555 said:

But they are more expensive buying

Proof please. That used to be correct, it isn’t now.

consider cheap Thai elec.

Thai electricity is only cheap if you are a very low user, otherwise it certainly is not cheap.

and the electronics more touchy

Apocryphal, please provide proof of that statement.

Possibly in the early days it was true, today, proof please.

in case of repairs more expensive they told to me

And the cost of a main PCB for both kinds is?

• Confused 1

But they are more expensive buying (consider cheap Thai elec.) and the electronics more touchy , so in case of repairs more expensive they told to me.....so as always pro's and con's....????

Prices are rapidly approaching parity with non-inverter types, as is the cost of repair and the works are significantly more robust than in the past.

Ask me 5 years ago and I would think twice about an inverter, now I would only consider an inverter.

The manufacturers really love making inverter A/C units:-

• Once the development costs are recovered the electronics is cheap.
  • The electronics allows them to use much cheaper motors (they can be designed right to the line as the smart bit protects the motor).
  • They do actually save energy so they have a built in selling point for the masses.

So, they have a product that's less costly for them to make that they can (could) sell at a premium, or at least the same price as a conventional unit that costs more to make and the public actually wants the new product.

One of those rare occasions where everybody wins, including the environment!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Proof please. That used to be correct, it isn’t now.

Thai electricity is only cheap if you are a very low user, otherwise it certainly is not cheap.

Apocryphal, please provide proof of that statement.

Possibly in the early days it was true, today, proof please.

And the cost of a main PCB for both kinds is?

could be they are now more common , and so almost same price , but i can only compare with what i experienced in price difference  when buying my A.C Panasonic non inverter who served me until now without problems for more than 10 years ....

Not tearing down your inverter love ....???????? no more comparing info  for me as my oldie system keeps working fine ....., probably  my eventual next one would be inverter as no other ones could become available......,

but 10 years ago i could have many Thai Kwh. for the difference in price  at that moment 

About Thai electric price i pay 428,35 Thb for 111 units direct from PEA so 3,86 Thbt a unit ,......no middle man / woman  involved jacking up the money for his / her pocket ????

3 hours ago, david555 said:

I bought this one 3 month ago , works fine , anyway when doing his non frost defrosting get warm too , is needed to defrost .

Bought because my Toshiba " played dead " ????...., but was not    ???? as a few days later i tried him (i disconnected Toshiba when not cooling anymore ...... but seems he had an overwhelming ice behind the inside back part .... so fooled me , having 2 working fridges now and leaving Thailand in 4 months to go live home country again  ????

Anyway the Samsung has sliding 70 cm shelves on wheels and vegetable container also on sliding wheels , perfect fridge and as inverter low consumption , and 5 in 1 possible positions , separate circuits , all specifications what some latest Samsung inverter fridges can ..... it is all listed  in the attached  PDF, making one big fridge , or 1 small fridge out of the freezer , holiday mode , etc

If go buy  lotus or Big C   check several days different as those fridge prices change up and down  by day , just like the airlines ???? ..., Samsung  was 500 cheaper than when i bought few day before that Hisense i returned .....so be aware when buying !!

Had first bought a Hisense ..... but changed it to this one by Lotus , as  Hisense cooling not accurate i found 

Samsung RT43K6230S8 Interior layout.jpg

SAMSUNG Normal price RT43K6230S8_ST 15.6Q.pdf 569.06 kB · 1 download

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for and similar in size to my old Toshiba. Suppose it's too early to say if there's any energy saving. 

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

but 10 years ago i could have many Thai Kwh. for the difference in price  at that moment 

But, we are not talking about 10 years ago are we???

What was the correct decision then (it likely was) may be not be the correct one now (it probably isn't).

If your current units are functioning OK and your bills are not excessive why change anything?

Just now, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for and similar in size to my old Toshiba. Suppose it's too early to say if there's any energy saving. 

i guess there is...., as my consumption is only 111 units  now at  this season , cooking .....,light ..,big Sharp fan almost a 20 hours a day on  whole day time and evening big Television ( 49 inch ) which i also use as computers screen  , as with this corona time i am almost whole days home ...

Hot season is more as then AC in use