Foreign tourist allegedly attacked by security guards after bill dispute in Central Pattaya

webfact

Whatever next? They'll be telling us that he'd been drinking there without buying a meal, when we all know that's not allowed. Heaven forfend, some callous rumour-monger might even suggest that he'd been allowed in without a recent negative ATK test result, when we all know how strictly that measure is being enforced, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The report doesnt say that I am not the bar owner .

So that must mean that I am the bar owner .

You can be whoever you want to be in Thailand.

I am busy being young and handsome.  ????  

• Haha 2

Seriously, let's be good to each other out there.

Most are here to relax and let off steam after a couple of years of lockdown. Give some leeway. No one deserves a beating for overreacting to an unexpected bill. 

I've had far bigger provocations here and just let them go. 

Drunk people usually cannot fight; so there rarely a reason to engage with them physically when you are not drunk....unless you are on an ego trip.

Chances are just a harmless Irishman on a night out, feeling he was being scammed. Control and negotiate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

To be exact the Australian witnesses said they were not clear who started the fight. 

As to the guards story

Pattaya police admitted they were skeptical of the guard’s 

if he hadn't been in Thailand it wouldn't have happened.

It's all his fault.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Shocking. A tourist is claiming he was scammed in Pattaya then beat up when he refused to pay?

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen again after the incident in January when the Tree Town security guards beat someone, kicked him in the face, stomped on him for 10 minutes... then stabbed him to death.

It will not happen again as the incident will hurt the image of Pattaya as a safe family tourism destination and will be a top priority for police to resolve the situation.

Did you not read the full post? :-

"......................when he was stopped attempted to fight the guards and then accidentally fell.

Yeah - right! ????

4 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

What information do you have to create your hypothesis.  Isn't it more appopriate to hold judgement until sufficient facts are revealed.  Too quick to blame the farang and the security guards.

"Too quick to blame the farang and the security guards."

Erm? Which? The farang OR the security guards?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident took place around 11:30 P.M.

The way things are taken care of here, the government will soon instate a curfew after 11pm to prevent incidents.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Need to switch to that......had some horrendous bar bills.

Me too, but to be fair back in the days when I did drink, they were horrendous because of my own doing... didn't happen too often but when it did, it really did.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Though what you are suggesting is wise, there is an awful lot of padding of the bills that goes on here, especially as one get more and more drunk.

In case the padding is not too obvious (like the other example of literally thousands of baht), you simply pay up, then tell all your friends about this establishment and never go back. A tourist should have the money, but not the time to spend it uselessly worrying himself too long about this and an expat should have known better in the first place (eg checking his bills regularly, as many here suggested).

In case one feels really wronged, off to the nearest cop, bringing him back. Then arguing one's point might have a resolution (chance of it actually 50-50, so I still would not waste my precious time).

But never, ever, get into a shouting match with anybody here, because in the end it will be 15 against 1, with the obvious outcome. This is especially true in Thailand, with their issues of loosing face, but as a tourist in a foreign country this would be a good general rule to follow. As would be, not to get that drunk in public that you are unable to even just read your bill unaided.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Your statement of 'witness shouting loudly for minutes' .... really.  And no link simply stating that happened, let alone seeing a vid of.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was attacked by security guards at the same world class family resort, wrote of the experience on a couple of local social media forums and then read many comments by people who clearly weren't there and had seen nothing of what they described.

• Like 1

The guards claim he attempted to flee without paying his bill.  Which they have every right to stop him from leaving.  
They claim they blocked him . Then he shoved them.  They only said shove nothing else. They didn’t say he started throwing punches or violently attacked them. If he just shoved them, they could have just  restrained him.  
Im guessing these guys are not professionals.  In the states I have known a few bouncers.  These were big muscular guys.  And they diffused situations and even brawls.  But without throwing punches or injuring someone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think it fair to say most people would refuse to pay for drinks that they didn't order, but then faced with where they are, and the fact that police will make them pay anyway, they usually pay, despite not ordering the drinks.   It's the reason many pay as they go here.  It's an old scam.

It is an old scam, and it works for the reason you decribed.

But it is an old scam not just in Thailand. So everybody going to a bar will already know about it and there are really simple ways to avoid getting victimized.

Walking out of a place without paying, the bill being padded or not, could also lead to quite predictable results all over the world.

Of course it is very wrong what happened, *assuming* the guards had their hand in him "accidentally" falling. But imagine you would have been this guy, in hindsight, would you rather have paid up and enjoyed the rest of your holiday on the beach instead of laying in hospital?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The witness on the scene was stating categorically that the two security guards were responsible. You seem to be creating your own version of what you read. I am reporting what happened whilst I was actually there.

If you were actually there, why do you keep referring to 3rd party witnesses, just tell us what you saw? Funny you only started to mention you were actually there late in the thread. I am smelling a porkie pie or two.

• Like 2

but on the other hand..... maybe the award winners didn't include RTP/Security from Pattaya  555

RTP get international award for excellence - top cops in Dubai bask in glory but who has heard of "Smart Safety Zone 4.0"?

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have been drinking in dens of disrepute for 20 years in Thailand and never had a problem with a security guards.... probably as i am polite, play my bills and dont act like a complete <deleted>.

You forget to mention lucky!