Foreign tourist allegedly attacked by security guards after bill dispute in Central Pattaya

webfact

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

It is not as painful as having your head kicked in.  You should never tip on your bill either.  It will be taken by the bar owner in most instances.  If you like the service from an individual hand her the money directly.

Never had that problem.....

I certainly don't need advice on bar behaviour..... sadly! The tip is only administered after the change is returned, many places have a box for it to go into. 

47 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I had hoped with the POS systems that are commonplace, the padding on the old handwritten tabs would be a thing of the past... but the locals are 'creative'.....

I have a couple of mates who own a bar. 

One mate lives in Thailand and managers the bar and the other lives back home. 

The mate who lives back home tried to put in place a POS/electronic system, the other mate refused, tried his best not to because he would lose out on his selfish profits.

The electronic system tallies everything, outgoings, incoming, inventory etc. 

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I have a couple of mates who own a bar. 

One mate lives in Thailand and managers the bar and the other lives back home. 

The mate who lives back home tried to put in place a POS/electronic system, the other mate refused, tried his best not to because he would lose out on his selfish profits.

The electronic system tallies everything, outgoings, incoming, inventory etc. 

I guess the same bar......  not ideal if one has a partner that cannot be trusted.

Many years ago, one ended up with a bamboo bin packed full of single bills, but it was pretty easy to count them and get an idea what the total would be. Problem was remembering to do it before handing it in..... 

The media grapevine was pretty good way to find out where the dodgy practices were going on. 

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Never had that problem.....

I certainly don't need advice on bar behaviour..... sadly! The tip is only administered after the change is returned, many places have a box for it to go into. 

Yes you do.  In Thailand who do you think get all, or the lion's share of the money in the tip box.  More so if the owner is a Thai.

7 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Yes you do.  In Thailand who do you think get all, or the lion's share of the money in the tip box.  More so if the owner is a Thai.

No I don't......

I have put the money in the server's hand if I have been dealt with mostly by a particular one... if a multitude, it gets left on the little tray. I am certainly not going to be messing about paying and settling after each and every drink.... unless it is one of those dodgy places.

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No I don't......

I have put the money in the server's hand if I have been dealt with mostly by a particular one... if a multitude, it gets left on the little tray. I am certainly not going to be messing about paying and settling after each and every drink.... unless it is one of those dodgy places.

Up to you and I respect your choice.  After all it is your front teeth and skull.

But the downside is that you are trapped in the circuit of regular bars that you frequent and unable to explore new venues both in your town and other provinces.

Because how could you possibly know if a bar is dodgy when you first walk in?

6 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Because how could you possibly know if a bar is dodgy when you first walk in?

Particular types of places it can be guaranteed, a blatant example might be upstairs in Patpong (if they still even exist). . 

If I am in another province it is unlikely to be to cruise bars nowadays.... Bangkok maybe.

Nothing stops me visiting new bars in Pattaya, they often come with recommendations.... but admittedly, I favour the ones I know.... have to see if any are left when the place opens up.

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Bill disputes lead to multiple attacker beat-downs of tourists.  Good to see Thailand is getting back to normal.

<deleted> tourists forget their manners.in Thailand. Fairly normal too.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Particular types of places it can be guaranteed, a blatant example might be upstairs in Patpong (if they still even exist). . 

If I am in another province it is unlikely to be to cruise bars nowadays.... Bangkok maybe.

Nothing stops me visiting new bars in Pattaya, they often come with recommendations.... but admittedly, I favour the ones I know.... have to see if any are left when the place opens up.

Oh...I thought Pats had already opened up.  I have an expat mate here he has an interest in a gogo on walking street.  He told me yesterday they have been open for business for about 2 weeks now....as a restaurant.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Oh...I thought Pats had already opened up.  I have an expat mate here he has an interest in a gogo on walking street.  He told me yesterday they have been open for business for about 2 weeks now....as a restaurant.

No not really... take a walk down soi 7 or 8..... but what a few former Go-Go bars are currently operating as now is not what I would like to visit. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No not really... take a walk down soi 7 or 8..... but what a few former Go-Go bars are currently operating as now is not what I would like to visit. 

He told me apparently they have set up a food cart across the road from the GoGo.  And that is how they meet the criteria for being a restaurant....what ever they are....

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Opened as restaurants with fully clad dancers waitresses.

Why would you pay inflated prices for that?

Same action as outside any 7-11, but the large beers half the price (55bht).

Edited by BritManToo

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you pay inflated prices for that?

I wouldn't.

The mate had interests in two venues on walking street.  He is in for about 400K USD.

One has already shut for good now.  Lost the lot.  And the other is clinging on by a thread because landlord deferred rent payments.  They are now in debt to the tune of 1 million.  Scary stuff I have seen people killed here (quiet literally) over 1 baht.

I am sure there are hundreds of similar stories at present.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I wouldn't.

The mate had interests in two venues on walking street.  He is in for about 400K USD.

One has already shut for good now.  Lost the lot.  And the other is clinging on by a thread because landlord deferred rent payments.  They are now in debt to the tune of 1 million.  Scary stuff I have seen people killed here (quiet literally) over 1 baht.

And it ain't even started yet.

This stuff will trickle down over the next few months and years. A lot of pain to come for many. 

On 3/18/2022 at 4:39 PM, jts-khorat said:

In case the padding is not too obvious (like the other example of literally thousands of baht), you simply pay up, then tell all your friends about this establishment and never go back. A tourist should have the money, but not the time to spend it uselessly worrying himself too long about this and an expat should have known better in the first place (eg checking his bills regularly, as many here suggested).

In case one feels really wronged, off to the nearest cop, bringing him back. Then arguing one's point might have a resolution (chance of it actually 50-50, so I still would not waste my precious time).

But never, ever, get into a shouting match with anybody here, because in the end it will be 15 against 1, with the obvious outcome. This is especially true in Thailand, with their issues of loosing face, but as a tourist in a foreign country this would be a good general rule to follow. As would be, not to get that drunk in public that you are unable to even just read your bill unaided.

I never run a tab.  I pay after each drink.  Never a problem that way.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, Adumbration said:

I wouldn't.

The Thai landlords didn't offer covid rent discounts out of kindness, or a an understanding of reality.

I am sure they were laughing at farang willing to pay them, albeit, at a discounted rate, for them to maintain their property, rather than it sitting going derelict, requiring the Thai landlord to pay for repairs in preparation for the next tenant. 

All the while, the clock is still running down on their lease.  

Basically, farang business owners were paying Thai landlords for the privilege of being a caretaker for their property.  

At least they had somewhere for their youtube live streams.  ????

12 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I never run a tab.  I pay after each drink.  Never a problem that way.

The bottleneck at most places is the cashier...... and of course you make the server do 2 unnecessary trips. I preferred paying once, just a single tipping instance required then.

On 3/25/2022 at 6:18 AM, jacko45k said:

The bottleneck at most places is the cashier...... and of course you make the server do 2 unnecessary trips. I preferred paying once, just a single tipping instance required then.

"2 unnecessary trips". God forbid that we overwork those servers. I only tip once anyway, as I am leaving after the last drink. Some people want to manufacture problems where there are none.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

"2 unnecessary trips". God forbid that we overwork those servers. I only tip once anyway, as I am leaving after the last drink. Some people want to manufacture problems where there are none.

You do talk nonsense...

I think people who pay for each drink independently are the ones causing problems, running limited staff around, ask a bar owner.... (the bottle neck is actually a single cashier... ). Some people imagine there are problems where there often isn't one. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:18 PM, jacko45k said:

The bottleneck is not an issue, because you have just been served your beer, so you will be hanging around anyway.  

As for the server and extra trips..........????

14 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Why would you tip more than once in the same establishment on the same evening?? That truly is a strange thought.

Why would you pay the tab multiple times in the same establishment on the same visit, that is a stranger thought. 

Sometimes the price is designed to force a tipping amount.