Thailand dives in World Happiness Report - now only 61st. Has the Land of Smiles become the Land of Scowls?

webfact

16 hours ago, Screaming said:

The word happiness is very subjective and I would think impossible to measure. The level of corruption in Thailand is so great that I do not understand how anyone here is happy. This corruption is ingrained in Thai society from the very top to the lowest levels. Of course one must adapt the adage of "Mai Pen Rai" in order to survive this corruption but underneath one's mental health is rotting away.

The level of corruption is one of the 6 factures used in compiling the rankings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have lived here 10 years.  Not just a Thailand issue, but most people here seem fake toward Falang.  Fake friendly to probably just to get people's money.  I actually think the Phils is less fake. More desperate but not seemingly fake about it.  It all seems mostly economics and jealousy of westerners I think.

Sad really, no one has a choice where they are born.  On the big picture of life,  those of us born in western countries are very very lucky.

i can see right through them.  does not bother me.  parallel universe.  they are welcome to my money.  very lucky to have grown up in Malibu

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Screaming said:

The word happiness is very subjective and I would think impossible to measure.

I agree, it's like most the livable cities, I look at them and the top #10 are never appealing. So subjective to be useless better to allow you to click a few thinks you place importance on and then a ranking pops out for you, rather then some bland thing that suits no one.

It's also tricky, corruption is one mentioned but the most corrupt nation to my mind is the UK, it depends who is defining what corruption is I guess  ? Some cop soliciting tea money so you don't have to pay for not wearing a helmet,  compared to the fine you'd get in Australia for the same thing and yet one is seen as corrupt and the other isn't ?

I also not sure what they are measuring ? An example,  NZ is #10 for example and has the highest youth suicide rate in the the OECD.  So the 70 yr old who has paid off there home and in a pension, with allowances may be happy in NZ< but the 17 yr old who sees nothing but a lifetime of debt for a poorly built house and terrible wages not so much ?

Good people can disagree endlessly over this but as long as we can make our own choices and go where we want that's an acceptable solution to me.

• Like 1