Steam Train Fully Booked

snoop1130

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Did Hua Lamphong shut down?

Maybe this is sort of a requiem for the old station.  When I first came out here in the 1970s used to stay around there, loved the area.

Still open and running trains daily.  Has not shut down yet like they had hoped and that is because the new station is not fully up and running yet.  Just took a train up to Ayutthaya and then back so the GF's daughter could ride on the train.  Looking at a trip on the overnight to Chiang Mai in the near future.

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

Is it a coal fired steam train?

Reference to Pacific loco Number 824 (I presume the same for 850):- 

• Maximum weight of engine: 58,000kg
  • Maximum weight of tender: 38,900kg
  • Water capacity: 15,000L
  • Fuel capacity: 4,200L
  • Length over buffer: 19.3m
  • Steam pressure: 13kg/cm²

This suggests oil fired.

https://www.gregtodiffer.com/taking-steam-train-bangkok/

Photo of Number 850 clearly shows no coal or wood in the tender.

THAILEX - Thailand Travel Encyclopedia

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Reference to Pacific loco Number 824 (I presume the same for 850):- 

• Maximum weight of engine: 58,000kg
  • Maximum weight of tender: 38,900kg
  • Water capacity: 15,000L
  • Fuel capacity: 4,200L
  • Length over buffer: 19.3m
  • Steam pressure: 13kg/cm²

This suggests oil fired.

https://www.gregtodiffer.com/taking-steam-train-bangkok/

Photo of Number 850 clearly shows no coal or wood in the tender.

THAILEX - Thailand Travel Encyclopedia

Many "tender moments" on the old sleeper to Georgetown, sadly no longer a direct service. However high speed corruption completed on time and budget.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still open and running trains daily.  Has not shut down yet like they had hoped and that is because the new station is not fully up and running yet.  Just took a train up to Ayutthaya and then back so the GF's daughter could ride on the train.  Looking at a trip on the overnight to Chiang Mai in the near future.

Go to Wong Wian Yai and take the train to Samut Songkran?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It would be a good idea to not tear the place down as it could be brought back into play, like Don Muang.

I think the thing that will be most appreciated by Bkk folk when the station goes out of operation is that there will no longer be the RR crossing at Phetchaburi.  If you've been around there during the evening commute hours you'll know what I mean.  When I was staying in the Bobae area I could walk from the Wireless Rd area and get there faster than the bus I would have taken. 

One time at that crossing I saw an impressive train, painted dark green and of nearly pristine appearance.  I looked it up and it was a high-falutin' thing done up in 19th century grandeur, it had a name like 'Orient Express' and ran Bkk to Singapore.  And it cost a ridiculous amount of money.

If I was around Hua Lamphong I would take the train one stop to get to Bobae, cost 2b.  The price of the ticket was part of the novelty.

Edited by bendejo