Would you still want to visit Thailand with these new entry rules?

webfact

25 minutes ago, limbojunkie said:

I think visiting for a couple weeks with this hectic process is not worth it, but if you plan to stay a month or more then go for it.

The problem being , as has been pointed out by others , why jump through hoops to holiday in a destination that is still chock full of restrictions ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

I have family in Thailand waiting for me to visit, but unfortunately I won't be going until they drop the Thailand pass, quarantine, and the PCR on Arrival and 5 day test,

I have no problem doing a PCR prior to flight which makes more sense...

I'm with you. Booking for November.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cambodger said:

I'm unvaxxed and never even been tested and intended it to remain that way.

I definitely won't consider travelling whilst these restrictions are in place.

Getting nasal raped with one of those swabs is a nay thanks.

Might consider Vietnam if it's just a pre departure saliva test, actually prefer the place over Thailand nowadays anyway.

I doubt you will be going anywhere if unvaccinated , that restriction wont be lifted any time soon for most destinations.

11 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Whist the arrival test and 5 day test are in place I would be reluctant to travel to Thailand due to, as you stated, enforced quarantine in a hospitel, They have done it the wrong way around and seems clear the money talks from the potential quarantine. Would not be surprised if there are some influential figures making noises somewhere.

Spot on! All the while the "5 day test" is hanging over you, it's a mug's game for tourists (IMO)  Who wants to go on holiday to spend the first 5 days in fear of what might happen? Just insist that all visitors are fully vaccinated - that should be IT!

• Like 2

It appears fully vaccinated people are no more protected from catching the virus or passing it on.There are millions not vaccinated who may wish to visit here. will they be banned from coming forever? Time to drop the stupid mask rules.

• Confused 1

Can anyone explain the logic in this, it should be PCR prior to flying and rapid Antigen on arrival, negative and you are free to go. What on earth is the matter with these clowns. That way there is a 99.9% chance that arrivals are not infected. Everyone would be happy with the fact that they know they are boarding a plane with 300 others who have all tested negative. If they arrive with Covid then there holiday is screwed, it just makes so much more sense, or I am I missing something devious here that means $$$$$

Edited by paul1804
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Maybe because nobody but you cares about that?  I still find the exchange rate acceptable.  It hasn't changed that much.  

I agree. Approx 44 against the UKP is better than I've seen it many times over the years.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

they should have mandated that it cover all treatment

Very good, obvious and simple solution to help tourism , but of course reduce profits .

We hardly need to ask which comes first , equity, jobs for the poor or profits for the rich and their sponsors links into almost any pie with cash in, or opportunities for sharp practice, scam, exploitation of sick, vulnerable and of course all foreigners are fair game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

I had a number of America friends who came here annually.  None of them are coming back until the restrictions are completely lifted.  The ones that came here to vacation for a full month are now traveling to Mexico. 

Plenty of USA guys have a little more stamina.... talking to one recently arrived just earlier!

4 hours ago, Hoot said:

I am also an oil worker and commute back and forth to Thailand where I have lived for the last 24 years. I recently tested positive for COVID on arrival. The hospital connected to the SHA hotel contacted me and questioned me on my insurance my vaccination status and my symptoms which I had but mild. I refused hospital treatment and declared I would care for myself and self isolate for 10 days. They sent me a form which was a waiver of medical care. My wife left the car for me at the hotel. I drove home and self isolated away from my family for 10 days after 7 days ATK tests were showing I was negative however I stuck to the 10 day isolation. So I can attest that you do not have to get hospitalized if tested positive on arrival they are quite accepting to self care and self isolation.

That is good news, but a lot easier for residents than tourists wouldn't you agree? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

I have family in Thailand waiting for me to visit, but unfortunately I won't be going until they drop the Thailand pass, quarantine, and the PCR on Arrival and 5 day test,

I have no problem doing a PCR prior to flight which makes more sense...

Then go and take PCR test before flight. It is just not mandatory. If these covid restrictions are avoiding you to meet your family...No words.

Edited by Topah
  • Confused 1

No, I will not come to Thailand as long as there is
- any form of quarantine ("Test & Go" is considered as quarantine by me)
- any tests after arrival
- bars / pubs closed

Plenty of (better and cheaper) alternatives in Europe here in summer.
  • Like 2

I had every intention of spending a few weeks out in Thailand to catch up with friends and a few games of golf … Now … It’s Cyprus / Canada / Patagonia or Scotland salmon fishing…. They can have my money rather than going through the minefield and loss we all know has been setup for visitors

• Like 1

I had every intention of spending a few weeks out in Thailand to catch up with friends and a few games of golf … Now … It’s Cyprus / Canada / Patagonia or Scotland salmon fishing…. They can have my money rather than going through the minefield and loss we all know has been setup for visitors

• Like 1

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

rules were liveralised and will be every single month until 1 July, where no any restrictions.

So vietnam, and some other countries in the region, are slowly opening. Just now.

Thailand has sandbox since June 2021 and T&G since November. Million travellers already entered, some of them multiple times.

Some travellers enter every month since T&G (bar January, when it was suspended). As as they were doing pre-covid.

For people travelling after work, for business, for serious family reasons, nothing would be a barrier - a one pcr test for 2000b, hotel stay for 1000b, yearly insurance for 4000b, risk of asymptomatic 10 days hospitel, are little expenditure and deterrents.

Tourism is dead for more sometimes. Another year or two. For many different reasons. When China and all the other countries in Asia would fully open, tourism would bounce.

there are covid restrictions. Not omicron restrictions. There many covid strains and there well might be many more strains, light and serious, coming this year.

Some countries opened and went "back to normal" multiple times, to shut down and put serious restrictions, when the next wave came. Every country put restrictions in face of omicron, including thailand. Despite of it, daily death rate went from some 20, to some 80 daily. And that rate well might be rising for weeks, speeded up by songkran mass exodus across provinces

So prey tell. Where did you get insurance for 4000,baht per year .

4 hours ago, BayArea said:

Doubt is the operative word in your post.

Apparently not much doubt...unless it's a very looong flight: On average, symptoms showed up in the newly infected person about 5.6 days after contact. Rarely, symptoms appeared as soon as 2 days after exposure. https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#:~:text=On average%2C symptoms showed up,were sick by day 14.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

6 hours ago, BayArea said:

Well since you're talking about limited time on earth,  I chose not to worry or whine about unnecessary tests/ restrictions and dysfunctional apps set by this inept government.

Government?? More like a circus with all these clowns and midgets.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If one caught the virus while on a flight to Thailand, I doubt the incubation period would be long enough to test positive on arrival.

That's a good point, anyone care to dispute this?

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Now, this may all sound fine and dandy, but a friend of mine who works on the oil rigs in South America and travels to Thailand regularly is not convinced it will encourage tourists

This is absolutely true.  Heck keeping the incoming PCR tests makes more sense than requiring one after coming to Thailand. 

If you tested positiive before the flight, at least you get to stay where you are, likely your home country.  If you arrive in Thailand and are tested positive you go into quarantine. 

Personally, I would covid test before I boarded.  Even then, I would worry that if somehow I got a positive PCR test in Thailand I would be placed in that 27 square meter confinement area for a good portion of my vacation, at my expense. 

The uncertainly alone will cause people not to come. 

This pointing at incoming tourists as the incubator for Covid is just plain stupid.  Tourism has gone downt a trickle and yet the Covid numbers are up.  So the virus is spreading domestically.

Thailand has far less to worry about from a double or triple vaxinated tourist then it does from the domestic population many of whom are either not vaccinated, or have been vaccinated with only Sinovac. 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

if your first flight started maybe two days prior and you had a long enough layover it is possible, but highly unlikely as the incubation period for Omicron can be between 2 and 5 days, still there is a chance.  My first flight left from the US on the 24th of March at 3pm and I landed in Bangkok on the 26th at 11:50 pm, but then its a 14 hour time zone issue there, so I was actually under 2 days, but my layover in Korea was only 2 hours and not 12 like it could have been.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If one caught the virus while on a flight to Thailand, I doubt the incubation period would be long enough to test positive on arrival.

Nope - its a good point. 

But its the same point for the Pre-flight PCR test. 

IF a test taken the day before travel was negative, the arrival test could still be negative and a person could still test positive a few days after that. 

It's impossible to create a water tight system and the existing pandemic situation no longer calls for such restrictions. 

If the pre-departure PCR test is not necessary, neither is an arrival test.

The only test which makes sense to me would be a day 3 ATK and if someone finds themselves positive they are asked to isolate at home (unless they feel they need medical attention). 

Test & Go no longer seems necessary at all - the government (CCSA) obviously thinks so, but doesn’t want to be seen to be taking ‘large steps’ and thus is slowly stepping down requirements. 

Of course, once it does, there will be a few outspoken doctors and governors who want to introduce or maintain their own measures !...   such announcements will continue to contract each other of a while to come. 

• Thanks 1