Advice on dealing with crazy taxi drivers?

Mikeheo

I use Grab for a little over two years.  Only once I had to report a driver for driving recklessly.  So maybe grab would be a better option for you. 
I have used grab taxi also but not often.  Those drivers didn’t drive recklessly.  But maybe because they were working for grab. 

Unfortunately it’s not only the taxi drivers what  you are describing.  

On 3/23/2022 at 12:03 AM, Mikeheo said:

Of course I could drive, but would rather not in Bangkok traffic.

I prefer to drive myself, even in Bkk traffic for the very reasons you described. 

I filter out the rest of the issues Of dealing with Morons by using GrabCar (not grabtaxi or anygrab).

I’m vocal if I have to be and tell them to take it easy… it works in most cases. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And if not tell them to stop so that you can get out. That should focus their mind.

I’ve had to get out a few times, but usually when they want to watch a video on their phone on placed on the instrument display and won’t turn off their phone. 
I just tell them to pull over and get out… it’s usually in the 1st 50m so easier than spotting a nutter driver. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 2:53 PM, Letseng said:

Grab never comes. Wait & they cancel for a better fare. Don't like their new booking system either.

You might be in a too remote location, in that case ask around locals, sometimes they have phone numbers or line accounts with a booking person, where you can let a taxi come that behaves better, they talk via radio.

I used to do that with my ex in nonthaburi, just a 20-30 baht additional charge.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve had to get out a few times, but usually when they want to watch a video on their phone on placed on the instrument display and won’t turn off their phone. 
I just tell them to pull over and get out… it’s usually in the 1st 50m so easier than spotting a nutter driver. 

do you pay them when this happens?

On 3/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

or a jungle blade, seen that in the south for just 100 baht, after be threw bricks.

They all have a self defense weapon under the front seat.

Send your complaints via SMS to 1584. Time, date, taxi color, and ID number. 
Best to have a Thai do it in Thai language. 
It will cost him when he renews his permit.