Jump to content

Fleets of EVs Flock to 43rd Motor Show


Recommended Posts

screenshot_17177.jpg

 

NONTHABURI, (TNA) – The 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show is ready to welcome visitors at its venue, the IMPACT exhibition complex in Muang Thong Thani estate, from March 23 to April 3 on the theme of “Keep moving forward together”.

 

Prachin Eamlumnow, chief executive officer of Grand Prix International PCL and chief organizer of the Bangkok International Motor Show, said the automotive industry of Thailand started to recover this year after being affected by COVID-19 for over two years. 

 

Importantly the industry was shifting from internal combustion engines to electric power and manufacturers were enjoying support from the government for their production of electric vehicles for domestic use and export, he said.

 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

 

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-907865

 

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright TNA 2022-03-23
 

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone that lives in the real world believe that Thailand's electrical infrastructure could sustain millions of EVs?

Could ordinary folk even afford to buy one- that's probably the biggest disincentive to buy one in NZ, and the fact that the batteries are very expensive and will need replacing will impact the second hand market, IMO.

 

I wonder how many actually believe the advertising BS that they are environmentally "friendly", when the electricity to power them is often produced by burning fossil fuels, and the old batteries may be polluting to dispose of?

 

I used to visit the Bkk motor show every year, but it wasn't to look at the cars, nudge nudge wink wink.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to visit the Bkk motor show every year, but it wasn't to look at the cars, nudge nudge wink wink.

My wife flatly refused to buy the Race Queen outfit.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for my Condo complex and many others to install assigned parking stalls for the owners and residents and then if one of those has an EV to assist in hooking up an EV charging port..... 

 

I can just see it now the Condo's install a few EV charging station slots only to have those slots filled by numpties driving a petrol or diesel based car.......Thats just here in BKK.  If I owned a home outside of BKK like I will eventually do again I will install the EV charging station and purchase a new MG EV.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does anyone that lives in the real world believe that Thailand's electrical infrastructure could sustain millions of EVs?

Could ordinary folk even afford to buy one- that's probably the biggest disincentive to buy one in NZ, and the fact that the batteries are very expensive and will need replacing will impact the second hand market, IMO.

 

I wonder how many actually believe the advertising BS that they are environmentally "friendly", when the electricity to power them is often produced by burning fossil fuels, and the old batteries may be polluting to dispose of?

 

I used to visit the Bkk motor show every year, but it wasn't to look at the cars, nudge nudge wink wink.

Volvo parent Geely reveals $9,000 EV for China. 

China's $9,000 Electric Pivkup Truck is Coming to the US.

Chinese EV maker XPeng model P5 sedan starts at less than $25,000.

 

SFP (lifepo4-sulfur, iron, phosphate) EV auto batteries more environmentally friendly. Lithium-ion vs lead-acid batteries: higher charge rate, higher specific energy, better cold-temperature performance, lower self-charge rate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An entrance fee ... to look at cars.  Probably a recent C19 test also ... 😂

I don't think I'll ever be that bored.

Edited by KhunLA
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's what exhibition centres do, what is available to view is irrelevant!

I go to 'exhibitions' often enough, and never paid to enter.  Last house was almost completely furnished from a 'home exhibition' @ Impact.  

 

I don't pay to window shop. If you can't get me to enter, no hope in selling me something, and I'm in the market for an EV ... maybe.  Though I do seem to be talking myself out of the idea.  So a little eye candy would go a long way to motivating me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A rich, rich ground for finding some very nice new girlfriends ... a must visit for admirers of beautiful women

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the sums recently - how much money would i save if i went Electric and charged the battery via solar - compared with gasoline expenditure.  New car and solar panels, charging infrastructure, about one million baht. Petrol saved - 25,000 baht a year - wait - that will tale 40 years for pay back..... Hmm maybe not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I did the sums recently - how much money would i save if i went Electric and charged the battery via solar - compared with gasoline expenditure.  New car and solar panels, charging infrastructure, about one million baht. Petrol saved - 25,000 baht a year - wait - that will tale 40 years for pay back..... Hmm maybe not.

Are all the appliances  and lighting in your home powered directly by fossil fuels? Most of the ones in mine use electricity.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are all the appliances  and lighting in your home powered directly by fossil fuels? Most of the ones in mine use electricity.

Set up a bicycle that powers the TV when your kids want to watch it they have to exercise as well.

Pedal Vision - Pedal Power Generator

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Set up a bicycle that powers the TV when your kids want to watch it they have to exercise as well.

Pedal Vision - Pedal Power Generator

I have one of them for GF's <deleted>.
I pedal.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are all the appliances  and lighting in your home powered directly by fossil fuels? Most of the ones in mine use electricity.

My ROI going solar at house alone will be < 5 yrs, without an EV. Though I abuse the AC  a lot more than Rick, and drive more kms per year, I think.

 

Extra cost of EV would pay for itself before the warranty is up, if doing the 180k kms in 8 yrs, using MG ZS ICE vs EV (฿400k) for calculations @ ฿30 / liter, not counting oil changes & tune-up & belt changes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, KhunLA said:

My ROI going solar at house alone will be < 5 yrs, without an EV. Though I abuse the AC  a lot more than Rick, and drive more kms per year, I think.

 

Extra cost of EV would pay for itself before the warranty is up, if doing the 180k kms in 8 yrs, using MG ZS ICE vs EV (฿400k) for calculations @ ฿30 / liter, not counting oil changes & tune-up & belt changes.

^ this !!!!!!!!!!

 

and I personally don't think you should include the price of the EV in the price what you pay for the solar install, because you can power your house with it as well!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I did the sums recently - how much money would i save if i went Electric and charged the battery via solar - compared with gasoline expenditure.  New car and solar panels, charging infrastructure, about one million baht. Petrol saved - 25,000 baht a year - wait - that will tale 40 years for pay back..... Hmm maybe not.

Fuel isn't the only metric in comparing EV to ICE autos.

 

EVs have less moving parts, no oil changes, sparkplug replacement, etc. That results in lower maintenance costs by 40-49% lower than for ICE models.

Then there is the additional benefit that a fully charged EV can serve as an electric source for a home in the event of a grid failure. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, JBThai said:

However, we totally agree that charging the EV with grid power that is made from gas and oil is not that environmentally friendly but under consideration of the efficiency of the combustion engine, the EV is the same burden to the environment. 

Difference is that if I buy a second hand petrol car I won't have to replace the batteries ( which is probably why the car is being sold ).

I can also do a seven hour journey with a 15 minute stop to fill up and don't have to recharge it before returning.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, vinci said:

they are selling the EV the same price as gas car, good luck selling it

Actually, EV cars with a range like this hold their resale values well. Of course, that doesn't speak to the quality of the build.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, rickudon said:

I did the sums recently - how much money would i save if i went Electric and charged the battery via solar - compared with gasoline expenditure.  New car and solar panels, charging infrastructure, about one million baht. Petrol saved - 25,000 baht a year - wait - that will tale 40 years for pay back..... Hmm maybe not.

I have home solar and an EV. The EV is purely powered by excess solar from the house system. My actual payback is 5 years as I don't have a PEA bill or a fuel bill for my car.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also ran some real life numbers, elsewhere, closed thread & worth repeating.  

If I change over from ICE to EV:

Top up a MG ZS EV 50KwH battery from 0-100% = ฿220 (50 X ฿4.4)

(Actually 'FREE' at MG charging station < 5 kms from house)

vs my MG EV (ICE) @ ฿1300-1500, and that's with cheap E85 

 

EV warranty @ 180k kms / 11 kpl X ฿33 = ฿540k for petrol (energy)

180k kms / 320 kms (WLTP) = 562.5 X 220 = ฿124k for charging (energy)

฿540k - 124k = ฿416k saved on energy cost alone

MG ZS ICE ฿700K

MG ZS EV ฿950k 

MG EP ฿761k ... as mentioned, same pricing as ICEs now.

Of course if spring for solar at the house <฿300k, then ROI for house use & EV comes fast.

Estimate 5-8 yrs depending on AC abuse & kms racked up.

Going solar and or EV is starting to become a no brainer.

฿4.4 based on average high rate:

image.png.0fa7092ac204fe8b7b8b985caf8229d7.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...