Is Thailand doing enough for Ukrainian refugees?

webfact

Picture5.jpg

file photo

Currently, according to media reports, there are more than 7,000 tourists from Ukraine and Russia and still in Thailand.

Thailand may not be getting the same numbers of refugees pouring into Poland, however, through no fault of their own both Ukrainian and Russian tourists are facing a number of difficulties just to return home.

Initially, there was anger towards many Russians, but as we now know many of them had no idea what Putin was inflicting on Ukraine and its citizens, as their own media was heavily censored.

At last, the Thai government has realized that they cannot just ignore this large number of helpless tourists, so they are now being offered to extend their visas without any application fee.

With many running out of holiday spending money the government is also working out measures to offer humanitarian assistance to those affected by international flight cancellations.

Last week the TAT said there are approximately 7,000 tourists from the two countries in four tourism areas, comprising Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya and Krabi.

For tourists who are unable to return home, whether due to suspended flights or political unrest and cannot afford to stay in Thailand, the government plans to offer them shelter.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Naturally many Russians do wish to return home to their families, but with closed air space, it will be up to negotiations with Thailand and Russia to arrange repatriation flights for their citizens.

It is a different situation for the Ukrainians who are here, as it would be unsafe for them to be forced to return home now. 

Thailand has stated that it will not deport any tourists back home without their consent.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has approved a budget of two million baht for humanitarian assistance in Ukraine, because of the ongoing violence in the country, which continues to cause death, injuries, and infrastructure damage.

I suppose the bigger issue is will Thailand offer stranded Ukrainians permanent refugee status and allow them to get work.

Also, will the Thai government offer more Ukraine refugees currently pouring out of their country, an offer of a safe haven and a new life in the land of the smiles?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, thelasthornet said:

Did this article really say people can't return to Ukraine because of political unrest? I thought it was only in Russia you couldn't call it a war. 

So right.  War: A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

For tourists who are unable to return home, whether due to suspended flights or political unrest and cannot afford to stay in Thailand, the government plans to offer them shelter.

Such compassion.

Camping.jpg

• Haha 1

Thailand has stated that it will not deport any tourists back home without their consent.

ANY tourist ?

I suppose the bigger issue is will Thailand offer stranded Ukrainians permanent refugee status and allow them to get work.

Mmm let me think for a Nano second  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Is Thailand doing enough for Ukrainian refugees?

Is Thailand doing enough for Burma refugees? ????

Is Thailand doing enough for there own people? ie following Cambodia and The Philippines example and opening the country up? Their own people need the tourists for their livelihoods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

They do not have to do anything.

If they are doing anything at all, then yes, they are doing more than enough.

I have donated with my friends more than Thailand did… Anyways, each for themselves what feels right. 

If you do, do not donate through leechees such as Red Cross or others that use suffering children in their advertisement. 

https://help.gov.ua/en

Not sure why Ukraine should be helped at all.  Amazing how their bad press of just a few years ago, has turned into, they are the victims now.

"the enemy of my enemy, is now my friend" comes to mind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6