COVID-19: Thailand reports 27,024 new coronavirus cases, 82 deaths, 23,721 recoveries

webfact

COV24.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (March 24) reported 27,024 new COVID-19 cases, 23,721 recoveries and 82 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,450,980 with 24,579 deaths.

In December and January, Thailand detected 73 cases of suspected “Deltacron”, a broad name describing variants of the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) that contain a mixture of mutations found in Delta and Omicron, but all the patients have recovered, said Medical Sciences Department Director-General Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Wednesday).

He said virologists at the department have decoded the genetic makeup of all the 73 cases and found they could be Deltacron cases, but results of the findings have been sent to GISAID, a global science initiative and primary source headquartered in Germany, for confirmation.*

*Thai PBS contributes to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update24MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Phuket marks 285 new COVID cases, two more deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 285 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Mar 23), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 44,384.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-285-new-covid-cases-two-more-deaths-83549.php

Image: PPHO

• Like 1

More interesting news on the Deltacron front.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/03/23/1088236568/when-2-coronavirus-variants-meet-inside-1-person-a-frankenstein-hybrid-can-be-bo

On February 16, Scott Nguyen went hunting. And what he found is a bit surprising: a coronavirus variant that looks like a Frankenstein virus. It has the head of the omicron variant stuck onto the body of the delta variant.

Officially, Scott Nguyen is a bioinformatician at the Public Health Laboratory in Washington, D.C. He tracks emerging coronavirus variants around the city.

But on the side, Nguyen and a handful of scientists around the world have an intriguing hobby: "We're variant hunters," he says. "I think that's a pretty cool way to describe it."

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I am surprised, I thought things would be getting better by the end of the month.

Unfortunately, Songkran may be a time bomb even with slight decreases before then, all the Thai people visiting families with elderly family members could be a disaster.

The cynic in me actually thinks this insecure government won't really fret over this time bomb. They will continued to use covid to maintain control and fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sense of smell and taste is starting to return this morning.  I can not express how that makes me feel.  As a symptom and effect of Covid it is the one thing I have never experienced in my life.  I can tell you folks that those senses are an important part of daily life and should never be taken for granted.  I know many friends who through radiation therapy for thyroid and throat cancer lost their taste buds and their appetites decreased because of it.....truly sucks.  I wish everyone the best.  I think today is the turning point for us with clearing covid.  we both, the GF and I, are feeling more energy, but will still wait until tomorrow to retest and then if negative we will go out and about.  

Talked with a doctor I see, he indicated that after having Covid and more likely the Omicron variant our immunities should be good for at least 6 months and we may or may not need a booster again at that point based upon current on-going research.

• Like 2

Newly reported official COVID cases rose to their second highest daily total of the year on Thursday at 27,024, while serious COVID hospitalizations (1,553) and intubations (583) both increased to again set new record highs for the year.

The Ministry of Public Health also reported 82 new deaths from COVID on Thursday, up two from the day before, but slightly down from the yearly record 88 set last Monday.

Overall, official new cases, new COVID deaths, serious hospitalizations and the combined total of official and unofficial new COVID cases via ATK tests all marked increases from their comparable figures from one week prior.

Total active COVID cases under care (including home quarantine and community care centers) increased to 240,249, just shy of the yearly record high of 240,339 set last Monday.

Thursday's report of 27,024 official new COVID cases fell just short of the year's record high tally of 27,071 set last Friday. Thursday was only the second time Thailand's official new case total has exceeded the 27,000 mark.

The new yearly high of 1,553 COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition with pneumonia type symptoms means such cases are now averaging 20 per each of Thailand's 77 provinces, though the government said its hospital bed occupancy rate was only 26.4%.

919016472_Daily2022-03-24a.jpg.2f8f2a57f4f54bcddc0f35eb726ed5fc.jpg

1608028173_Daily2022-03-24b.jpg.72ec3252fedd376eefb4df25a292af20.jpg

442378945_Dash2022-03-24.jpg.a9bdcc3c21ad5ea65a6b213c66d6f0d8.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

For added context, during the peak of the Delta wave last fall, Thailand's daily COVID case count topped out at 23,418, but the numbers of serious hospital cases and intubated patients peaked above 5,600 and 1,100 respectively, and daily deaths topped 300 for a brief period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

82 deaths from Omicron.

it wasn’t long ago that the Covid Deniers were telling us that nobody died from Omicron.

Shrouded in ignorance..... just got my booster...if I didn't get infected at the vac centre, which looked more like a market, I am good for a while! 

• Thanks 1

Annual prison report highlights inadequate COVID-19 response, sub-standard conditions

(Bangkok, Paris) The first-ever annual report on prison conditions in Thailand, released by FIDH and Union for Civil Liberty (UCL) today, highlights the government’s inadequate response to COVID-19 and sub-standard conditions in the country’s correctional facilities despite a decreasing prison population and encouraging steps towards policy reform.

https://www.fidh.org/en/region/asia/thailand/annual-prison-report-highlights-inadequate-covid-19-response-sub

• Like 1

Totally irrational response. Ruining the country for less than 100 deaths per day. Death is sadly inevitable to all of us but many many more die from cancer, heart attacks etc. Like many countries before them the people have been scared in to irrational thought and lost all sense of perspective and risk. How many are killed at songkran on the roads? 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is time for Anutin to admit failure and resign. Covid numbers are falling worldwide, and this incompetent has been beaten by Covid and cannot bring it under control. 

Was it the choice of the lowest efficacy vaccine on the planet? Was it the initial failure of the program? The highly selective shutdowns which favored the cronies? 

Man up Anutin. Resign now. 

Well if he were to resign and take his whole Bhumjaithai Party 59 MP delegation with him, the whole government might collapse.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wishing you well.  Just tested the GF, day 11 and she is now negative.  I will take my next test tomorrow as yesterday I just barely had a line at the T and my taste and smell are just starting to come back.

Well, it looks like its reached my daughter. Her friend at school who she sits next to in a couple of classes was confirmed with it last night, my daughter called me this afternoon from school saying she has a high fever and cough, just got her home and did 2 ATK's both positive. She's ok but high temperature and absolutely distraught as on Monday she was due to have a 3 night school residential trip scuba diving.

Now I need to test but no more left so will go to the clinic tomorrow and get them to do one there although I've already got a cough.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2