No increase for Thai based UK Pensioners: vote here to get this changed

webfact

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I still pay UK income tax ...... deducted direct from my pension.

Tired of explaining the same thing over and over. Copy it below.

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I was talking about were you are using your money after tax. If that is in a foreign country, your are not contributing to the circulation of money in the country that payed it out. Therefore, they will not give you a raise. Quite understandable. 

Let´s say like this. If you work as a software developer for Evolution Gaming, they will sack you if you work for Vivo Gaming at the same time.

6 hours ago, Tofer said:

They "injected" their money when paying NI contributions, just like anybody else.

It's not about a single increase of 5 pounds a week, you also need to consider the pensioners who have had no increases for decades.

Yes, I feel their pain. It´s horrible. ????????????

Get real! Try planning your life since you were 17-19 years old instead and understand what works and not works. This is not rocket science. It´s just to plan for your future life and not put your trust into other persons, organizations or systems.

Far to may people UKFC their brain as young and never realize the importance of planning.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, this is not right, I've no idea what you are talking about. 

That should have been 1000 pounds sterling a month you earned.

The rest? Forget it. If I have to explain it, it's lost on you.

One hint is that the average wage in the UK is more than double your monthly pay.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

That should have been 1000 pounds sterling a month you earned.

The rest? Forget it. If I have to explain it, it's lost on you.

One hint is that the average wage in the UK is more than double your monthly pay.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. 

Voluntary NI contributions are not related to your income.

You have no idea how much I earn.????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

For that to work in the west you'd need to never marry, never cohabit and never impregnate.

Otherwise all your planning would be at the mercy of 'other persons'

(said 'other persons' being the woman in your bed, the family court judge, and social services)

Is that a joke, based on your own mistakes in life? Why would you figure that you lose control of your life just because of marriage or children. If you marry and have children, then you must have that in your calculations. Besides that you can easily protect your financial situation with a prenup. As I say, either you are just joking with me, or totally clueless about how to structure and control your life.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bradiston said:

Agree, it's just bizarre.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

Below is an abbreviated list excluding the EEA and Switzerland:

If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year:

Barbados

Bermuda

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Gibraltar

Guernsey

the Isle of Man

Israel

Jamaica

Jersey

Kosovo

Mauritius

Montenegro

North Macedonia

the Philippines

Serbia

Turkey

USA

So quite a choice.

Mmmmm....Turkey or The Philippines for me.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Is that a joke, based on your own mistakes in life? Why would you figure that you lose control of your life just because of marriage or children. If you marry and have children, then you must have that in your calculations. Besides that you can easily protect your financial situation with a prenup. As I say, either you are just joking with me, or totally clueless about how to structure and control your life.

Giving birth invalidates prenups in the UK.

It appears it's not me that's clueless. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Giving birth invalidates prenups in the UK.

It appears it's not me that's clueless. 

Ok, didn´t know you had such lame regulations, but it just defines the UK to me once more.

However, I am pretty sure there is a way around that too, as people with money always finds a way. What about an account in Switzerland or Isle of Man?

48 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, didn´t know you had such lame regulations, but it just defines the UK to me once more.

However, I am pretty sure there is a way around that too, as people with money always finds a way. What about an account in Switzerland or Isle of Man?

And what defines your country? Really cool regulations? And an OAP with a Swiss bank account? Structure and control? Enough in the bank mate, that's all the structure and control I need.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Are you saying that an average of 100% every year for the last 12 years isn't a good investment? 

Bitcoin has done better than any asset over this time. I bought BTC with retirement money I got in 2019 for 220,000 baht each. They went to over 2 million baht a year later, are now over 1.6 million, and should be much more like 50 million by the time I retire. 

It's not an "asset", it's a delusion... Totally reliant on someone else buying it from you to artificially inflate the value, which I believe is as clear a definition of a pyramid scheme as any other. 

However, this is off topic, so draw a line.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Are you saying that an average of 100% every year for the last 12 years isn't a good investment? 

Bitcoin has done better than any asset over this time. I bought BTC with retirement money I got in 2019 for 220,000 baht each. They went to over 2 million baht a year later, are now over 1.6 million, and should be much more like 50 million by the time I retire. 

Gambling, wishful thinking, call it what you like. 

What about the poor sucker who bought off you at 2M and sold at 1.6M.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

And what defines your country? Really cool regulations? And an OAP with a Swiss bank account? Structure and control? Enough in the bank mate, that's all the structure and control I need.

Oh, yes of course it is! Just a question, Sir. Was I just attacked by the head master of the I do not care that I lose half my money brigade?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tofer said:

It's not an "asset", it's a delusion... Totally reliant on someone else buying it from you to artificially inflate the value, which I believe is as clear a definition of a pyramid scheme as any other. 

However, this is off topic, so draw a line.

Pretty much what my financial advisor said. All reliant on supply and demand. No intrinsic value.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Please develop you vast knowledge of how that so called pyramid scheme works.

Simple, BTC only increases in value when someone else buys it, and if no one else buys it, you have nothing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh, yes of course it is! Just a question, Sir. Was I just attacked by the head master of the I do not care that I lose half my money brigade?

I guess you're talking about inflation? I didn't say how long it had to be in the bank, or how much. Maybe I'll cash in half a Bitcoin every 6 months, stick the proceeds in a bank, and try and get by on that. Not sure about it though. A measly ~$50k a year wouldn't go very far, would it? ????

• Haha 1

Anyway, back on topic.

Wouldn't the Pension rules be deemed an unfair contract, in regard to the small print T&C laws introduced, particularly considering employees and the self-employed were never given a contract to sign, with said rules clearly displayed, before their NI contributions were automatically deducted / demanded from their income. In other words, it was not an option, nor clearly explained way back when, and the rules were never generally known / available before the internet was born, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I guess you're talking about inflation? I didn't say how long it had to be in the bank, or how much. Maybe I'll cash in half a Bitcoin every 6 months, stick the proceeds in a bank, and try and get by on that. Not sure about it though. A measly ~$50k a year wouldn't go very far, would it? ????

Eeeh?? Inflation???? You were aware of that we were discussing losing money in a possible divorce and the costs for raising children, right?

However, as you say, Bitcoin is a good choice to hide money in. Especially with an off-line wallet. Have gone that way for many years too. Then when you say that a measly 50K USD per year wouldn´t go far? That I do not understand. I reckon my standard living and family cost are not higher. I would say around 4K per month in general. Not need to spend more in Thailand.

Then off course, at some occasions I will have to spend more, like building something new, buying a new car or motorbike and so on.......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Same as gold then.

Not at all. Gold has many uses besides jewelry.

Your mobile phone has gold inside as do nearly all printed circuit boards (PCBs). In fact, it is pretty much in all electronics due to it's excellent conductive properties and lack of corrosion.

I don't think jewelry or, electronics are going away any time soon.

On top of that, is it's very long history as a hedge against dodgy fiat currencies and especially inflation.

Bitcoin is being used more and more by criminal enterprises. Totally marked for excessive regulation by banks and governments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Not at all. Gold has many uses besides jewelry.

Your mobile phone has gold inside as do nearly all printed circuit boards (PCBs). In fact, it is pretty much in all electronics due to it's excellent conductive properties and lack of corrosion.

I don't think jewelry or, electronics are going away any time soon.

Come TEOTWAWKI I seriously doubt anyone will be making phones or printed circuitry.

I'm putting my spare cash into solar cells/batteries and shelf stable foods. 

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Come TEOTWAWKI I seriously doubt anyone will be making phones or printed circuitry.

I'm putting my spare cash into solar cells/batteries and shelf stable foods. 

Err hold on, we've gone from a modest rise for pensioners to the end of the world as we know it! Such is forum life... Point being, which comes first? The government might think the one implies the other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1