Welcome back to Thailand! French husband has 400,000 baht headache after theft from house

webfact

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Fitted a lot 'dead' windows as the boss calls them. I would also go for inside decorative grills, if I go for anything.

Intend to fit 95dB programmable alarms in each plug socket.....that will give the ßastards a shock.

Bars..?? How do you get out in the event of fire ? Fee,ing safe and being safe are not the same.

• Like 1

SO no safe or even bars on the window as a deterrent?  Sure it could happen to anyone and yes it has before, this is not the first case.  Hopefully, they have more money saved and available....hard lesson to learn.

Anybody who had been to Thailand more than once, has enough savvy to put away their jewelry 

and money. I also would be wondering just what guest to that party is the thief. 

What is that saying.  No fool like an old fool.  Was it only the husband who came back to Thailand?

Hmmm.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I see properties around me with grills on every entry point, even 3rd and 4th floors.

I often wonder what they'd do if a fire broke out on the ground floor...

by the time help arrives extra crispy?

I used to stay in my brother in laws police apartment until he retired.   His balcony is barred but it has a gate secured with a padlock.   I asked where the key was.  Disappeared years ago I was told.

I bought two large screwdrivers and a good padlock, broke the old padlock off, installed the new padlock, put a sign under a nail in the wall telling one and all that the key was for the gate, all done the same day I was told the key was lost.

8 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So, leaving aside the €800 in cash, there was a diamond, a wedding ring and a designer bag worth in total, 370,000 Baht, ie more than €10,000 ……. Yeah, right

The bag could be worth that much.   My wife has a designer bag she bought, that in Thai Baht, cost more than 600,000! 
Me, I have one of two wallets I paid about 400 baht for, both.

Edited by radiochaser
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Could happen anywhere of you leave your valuables on view.

My nephew (Wolverhampton) left his (not inconsiderable) few hundreds of quid 18th birthday money lying on a desk in a room that was not part of the party he threw ... one of his 'friends' made off with it.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am 77, a Brit, and understood it straight away.

It could have been written.

The police are looking for 2 people who they believe are responsible for a theft at a farang's house.

Is that any better?

It was a reference to the style which is appalling for any halfway respectable publication.

And other than saying I don't need your esteemed assistance with comprehension I'll leave it at that.

• Sad 1

If you brought expensive things back look after them,have a party ok but don,t leave money  or anything else about.

Once in bkk a hotel I stayed in 2 young ladies wanted to stay the day.I said ok took there id cards and everything in the safe.no problems,they had fun by the pool,relaxed shower etc.all good  nothing missing,later in the night they went home.They got the their id,s back we said bye and meet later in the disco.Use common sense  is all I would say if you invite your neighbours to a party

11 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

One of the first things I bought on arrival in Thailand was a safe,try lifting that up to the level of that window,and getting it out that small window ????????

Yes, I have a safe. Also a lockable bedside table for those times you have people round, like a bug sprayer or AC servicers. The way not to get caught out, is not to offer opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me, doors and windows open all day, every day.

At home or not.

I don't think anyone is interested in a 10 THB soy burger.... now on the other hand if it was a $10 USD 100% pure beef burger it would be a different story.  ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

She must have gotten special and expensive lessons in France. This is an expert finger pointing. Straight, with an upper bend, as well as distinct and really marking the specific subject that is lost. Hmmm... however that now can be possible. Anyway, thanks for another pointing picture. It goes into my collection of more than 2 300.

8pm2.jpg

Here it isn't! :cheesy:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

8pm2.jpg

Here it isn't! :cheesy:

That poor table to be pointed at, in the name of all that's good for god sakes use two fingers when you point lady......

"And my lady bar bag was right there"

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes, welcome back to Thailand, put your valuables away when you are having a house party. 

Nothing to do with Thailand, it could happen anywhere, but I hope the police can do something about it.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Who leaves an unprotected, exposed window open these days. 

These unauthorized entries happen all over the world. 

You want to leave a window open get bars or camera's maybe a dog. 

Be accountable, don't be complaining when things go pear shaped because of your neglect. 

Pear-shaped? As in a "pear-shaped diamond"? Hmm...where were you on the night in question? ????

13 hours ago, radiochaser said:

The bag could be worth that much.   My wife has a designer bag she bought, that in Thai Baht, cost more than 600,000! 
Me, I have one of two wallets I paid about 400 baht for, both.

I think you may have missed the cynicism in my comment. I am fully aware of how expensive some bags can be; my wife has a clinical weakness for bags, and at the moment she is eyeing up a bag by Spanish designer Loewe, which has made my eyes water.

However, out of interest, what is the designer brand of the bag your wife paid more than 16,000 Euros for ……. thanks.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

I bought a house in a village 3 years ago,and took every one of those unsightly grilles off and binned them,and have never had a break in.

Why put them on,and look though the equivalent of a prison cell in your own home? "Get a dog and a baseball bat" ????

Does the dog the pitch or bat ??  ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BusyB said:

My nephew (Wolverhampton) left his (not inconsiderable) few hundreds of quid 18th birthday money lying on a desk in a room that was not part of the party he threw ... one of his 'friends' made off with it.

Serves him right for leaving the money lying on a desk, regardless of whether the room was part of the party or not. Just stupid.    ????  

1 hour ago, Wagga said:

Serves him right for leaving the money lying on a desk, regardless of whether the room was part of the party or not. Just stupid.    ????  

I was a bit more gentle with him - I told him that opportunity makes thieves.

Tuition fees basically.

Edited by BusyB
  • Confused 1

Inside job, check under the mattress....always funny with that one

with noobs looking to pay for their trip thinking....'cleaning staff nick stuff in Thailand in hotels'...haha....

Philippines and Vietnam bad for theft...Thailand not so much.

On 3/26/2022 at 2:32 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I think you may have missed the cynicism in my comment. I am fully aware of how expensive some bags can be; my wife has a clinical weakness for bags, and at the moment she is eyeing up a bag by Spanish designer Loewe, which has made my eyes water.

However, out of interest, what is the designer brand of the bag your wife paid more than 16,000 Euros for ……. thanks.

Yeah, I didn't detect the cynicism.     

Which purse?   Not a clue. I only know she said, I bought ..... and it costs .....  and I say, that's nice.   Only here in the U.S. not in Thailand.   But, everything here is also in Thailand.   

I just know that spends her money on them.   I buy tools, she buys designer goods.   She likes Swarovski too.  I admit I like those as well.  

But my tools don't cost as much as her designer items.