Vaccine holdouts are jeopardizing Thailand’s hard-earned Covid gains

webfact

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

'comorbidities'

There's your most likely culprit, people with poor health die easier it would seem.  See those weasel words I used for the internet ?

People with poor health are more likely to succumb to any desease than healthier individuals.

Imagine that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Ugh.

The usual anti vaxer spewing garbage.

Vaccines are proven to help prevent hospitalizations and even death.

Exactly as the vaccines did for myself and my GF.  just near the end of the 2nd week of being infected and we are both feeling pretty good.  The GF tested negative on an ATK yesterday and I have the faintest line at the T showing I am still positive but the viral load is lessening.  Double vaccinated and a booster done in Mid January.  GF double vaccinated and supposed to have her booster this week but now that has been put on hold for awhile...we shall see what occurs with more information coming out as far as how long the immunities from being infected with omicron last......

• Like 2

Most the in-laws (10-15 people) family now have had Covid here in Thailand and being healthy half don't even feel sick and the rest were over Covid in a couple days.  My whole family back home and all their children have had Covid with the exception of my sister.  25-30 people and  many didn't feel sick in the slightest.  The rest had mild coughing and other minor issues for 2-3 days.  Again, all are healthy.  My parents are over 40 and were tired for a couple days.

I'm fully vaccinated or think I am having received three shots.  It will be 4 soon enough.  In stead of blaming the unvaccinated, would it not be more productive to lose some pounds. 

I'm tiring of all the hate shown on this forum towards people that disagree.  A discussion is nice but rarely happens.  Spending less time hating and take ownership of your unhealthy habits that have contributed to the severity of this pandemic would be my recommendation for many.

Edited by onthedarkside
misinfo comment removed
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly as the vaccines did for myself and my GF.  just near the end of the 2nd week of being infected and we are both feeling pretty good.  The GF tested negative on an ATK yesterday and I have the faintest line at the T showing I am still positive but the viral load is lessening.  Double vaccinated and a booster done in Mid January.  GF double vaccinated and supposed to have her booster this week but now that has been put on hold for awhile...we shall see what occurs with more information coming out as far as how long the immunities from being infected with omicron last......

Nice to hear a little good news.

Are you in Bangkok?

We're actually putting up one of our favorite cousins in quarantine in our guest house.  She's had two pfeizer. 

Despite the possibility of still getting Omicron/COVID-19 it's good to know she's been been vaccinated.  She's doing fine binging on Netflix.

49 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there's a big difference between getting omicron and getting seriously ill and/or dying? Why is it so difficult to understand that vaccines are very effective in keeping people from becoming serious ill and/or dying?

Yep for the already sick and fat people and 70+. Then let this group take a vaccine and leave the rest out of it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Yep for the already sick and fat people and 70+. Then let this group take a vaccine and leave the rest out of it.

Problem is... 67% of Thailand's overall population has yet to receive a third dose booster shot that is needed to best protect against Omicron.

And because this being Thailand, the not fully vaccinated kids go to school, catch the virus and bring it home. They don't get too sick, but they give the virus to the not fully vaccinated mom and dad... and they may get a little to moderately sick, but then they give it to the not fully vaccinated grandparents, who end up in the hospital and potentially dead.

And as a specific most at risk subgroup, similar to the general population, 66% of Thailand's senior citizens (age 60 and up) have yet to receive their booster dose.

vaccine.jpg.049fdfd4b2a6f2197064697111cfe519.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/528681432083519/?type=3

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garyk said:

Something is out of wack somewhere in Thailand, in the US where I am now it is back to normal 100%.

It's certainly gotten better lately than it was before in the U.S... but...

I'd hardly call 1,000+ new COVID deaths per day and 2,000+ new COVID hospitalizations per day as "back to normal 100%"

The U.S. is steadily heading toward a world pandemic record of 1 million cumulative COVID deaths from the pandemic.

Total Deaths Reported

Current 7-Day Average*

New Hospital Admissions

The current 7-day daily average for March 9–15, 2022, was 2,298.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nice to hear a little good news.

Are you in Bangkok?

We're actually putting up one of our favorite cousins in quarantine in our guest house.  She's had two pfeizer. 

Despite the possibility of still getting Omicron/COVID-19 it's good to know she's been been vaccinated.  She's doing fine binging on Netflix.

Yes sir in BKK, live here and have for quite awhile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes sir in BKK, live here and have for quite awhile.

Never boring in the Big Mango!

Sounds like you and Your girlfriend have weathered COVID very well.  Perhaps you will have Super immunity.

"Super Immunity' Same Whether COVID or Vaccination Is First"

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220127/super-immunity-covid-vaccination

I'm sure you're aware of this already.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

"Super Immunity' Same Whether COVID or Vaccination Is First"

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220127/super-immunity-covid-vaccination

You've left out the full message of the article you cite above:

""Because vaccination protects against severe disease and death, it is safer for individuals to be vaccinated before rather than after natural infection," they wrote.

"One big message is that our work shows vaccines still can and should play an important role in protection," Messer says.

"Vaccination raises all boats -- if you have been previously infected or if you experience a breakthrough infection. In both cases, your immunity will be closer to complete."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Vaccines are proven to help prevent hospitalizations and even death.

There is not an overly excessive number of COVID related deaths in Thailand at the moment.

I wouldn't even classify it as an emergency.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Australia would freak out. I guess that's the old "Asians don't value life as much" chestnut.

I'm speaking as someone from the UK, if it goes lower than 100 in the UK it doesn't even make the news apart from a couple of articles mentioning how low it is.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I'm speaking as someone from the UK, if it goes lower than 100 in the UK it doesn't even make the news apart from a couple of articles mentioning how low it is.

UK is not the poster child for how to deal with covid.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Doesn't need to be a 'poster child' - it's not a competition.

well, UK daily deaths are rising and the 7 day average is now 180. Upward trends don't need to be ignored. Thailand's daily cases and deaths are rising as well. Something needs to be done.

Edited by ozimoron

8 hours ago, cantdrive55 said:

Perhaps the good doctor should look at how South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Gibraltar, Israel etc. are faring with the vax rates  around 90 or higher including those with boosters and forth doses.  It doesn't look good to say the least.

Germany, France,, UK is not doing any better. USA is under control now but some states in USA, mostly governed by the seditionists party, have stopped collecting/testing data unless some counties do it proactively. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In a country the size of Thailand it's almost nothing.

It (Thailand's current levels of daily COVID deaths) is more than Thailand's average number of daily road fatality deaths..... And people seem to get pretty worked up on that topic when it arises.

Thailand is nowhere near the worst when it comes to COVID deaths. But it's also nowhere near the best either, on a per capita basis (deaths in the last 7 days per 1 million population) as shown in the two far right columns below, which only show the 20 countries in the world with the most COVID cases in the past week.

deaths.jpg.804d8b75fed24606c9d7d56074b23207.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/528680938750235/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It (Thailand's current levels of daily COVID deaths) is more than Thailand's average number of daily road fatality deaths..... And people seem to get pretty worked up on that topic when it arises.

deaths.jpg.804d8b75fed24606c9d7d56074b23207.jpg

Interesting that S Korea, which is 86.9% fully vaccinated has a death rate almost 6x as high as Thailand, which is only 72% fully vaccinated.  Austria, at 74% fully vaccinated has a death rate 3.5x Thailand.  Greece, at 71% fully vaccinated, has a death rate 4x Thailand's

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

Edited by impulse

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there's a big difference between getting omicron and getting seriously ill and/or dying? Why is it so difficult to understand that vaccines are very effective in keeping people from becoming serious ill and/or dying?

Because they spend their time scouring the web trying to find  obscure tin hat conspiracy theory to support their "idea" that covid is some giant world wide conspiracy and that vaccines do nothing.  They also like to pretend that they, with very likely zero medical training or real world experience in treating covid patients in hospitals, know more about infectious viruses than scientists and doctors who have spent decades studying and treating real people with covid and other viral diseases.

Whether this refusal to acknowledge the obvious that vaccines do not totally prevent anyone from getting covid they have been hugely effective at reducing and preventing hospitalizations and death in those who have the basic common sense to get vaxxed and quit spreading lies and misinformation. 

After all Noi's second cousins friend's brother in law told Noi's girlfriend that she thinks covid is the same as the flu for unvaxxed people....and we all know that Noi and all her friends attended Harvard where they studied diseases and treatment for decades.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garyk said:

Something is out of wack somewhere in Thailand, in the US where I am now it is back to normal 100%.

Same here in UK its rarely even  in the news now 

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

Interesting that S Korea, which is 86.9% fully vaccinated has a death rate almost 6x as high as Thailand, which is only 72% fully vaccinated.  Austria, at 74% fully vaccinated has a death rate 3.5x Thailand.  Greece, at 71% fully vaccinated, has a death rate 4x Thailand's

Research has clearly shown that so-called "fully vaccinated" -- meaning two doses -- is not very effective against Omicron, and the third booster dose fares much better in terms of protection.

"The mutations in the omicron variant of the virus that causes Covid-19, first detected in November 2021, make it the most contagious version of the virus known to date and allowed it to evade immunity — both from vaccines and from previous infections — better than other variants."

https://www.vox.com/22977354/covid-19-outbreak-omicron-ba2-hong-kong-south-korea-china-asia-vaccine

Regarding South Korea, they had begun relaxing COVID prevention measures prior to their spike in cases. Also, about 37% of SK's population has not received the booster shot as yet, despite the higher share for two doses:

"In recent weeks, South Korea has relaxed social distancing rules by pushing back a curfew on restaurants to 11 p.m. and easing the cap on private gatherings to six. Critics said the government underestimated the highly contagious nature of the omicron variant and eased the social distancing rules too soon, contributing to a surge in cases. Local media outlets reported that the curfew and the gathering cap be would be further relaxed, but Son said it is too early to tell."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/17/south-korea-coronavirus-record/

"A government analysis of some 141,000 Omicron cases reported in the country over the past year showed that there were no deaths among people under 60 who had received a booster shot, Son Young-rae, a health ministry official, said on Wednesday,"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/17/south-korea-reports-record-covid-deaths-as-daily-cases-surge-past-600000

Especially with the latest version of the Omicron variant (BA2), everything I've seen suggests that fully boosted PLUS public health intervention measures together provide the best defense. Relying on vaccinations alone, especially with sizable portions of populations not fully boosted, isn't seeming to cut it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
40 minutes ago, impulse said:

Research has clearly shown that so-called "fully vaccinated" -- meaning two doses -- is not very effective against Omicron, and the third booster dose fares much better in terms of protection.

All 3 have boosted rates higher than Thailand, at a whopping 32%. 

Along with much higher Covid death rates.