How a 30 million baht Bentley went up in flames - and the super rich owner who walked away!

webfact

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

hit a roadside railing of some kind that caused him to spin and drag a whole load of straw onto the road surface

Wow

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

After they photographed the car it started to smoke and burst into flames

Ouch 

Who's the insurer?

Time to sell your shares in this insurance company. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Very handy flammable material lying next to a very, very expensive repair job.........?????

It's totalled mate. 

Going Bentley heaven. 

We will see it rebirthed.

The insurers will sell the wreck and a repairer will fit it out with unroadworthy parts, then onsold to an unsuspecting purchaser. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Rather have a 1 million baht car and 29 million of housing

Yes, agree.

It's so strange, 20 years ago when I bought my first house, it seemed strange that these houses were selling for around 3 or 4 million baht and in their driveways were cars of the same price.

In Australia, I'd say your car is around 10% (ballpark) of the value of your home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Very handy flammable material lying next to a very, very expensive repair job.........?????

Very handy flammable material lying next to a very, very expensive, certainly insured repair job.  I don't imagine for a minute that he chose to spin the car, with his friends as passengers, in the dry material.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps he didn't read Roman history or choose to ignore Julius Caesar's  quotes "Beware of the ides of March" ????

He did - they were 10 days ago on the 15th. And it wasn't Julius Caesar, it was the soothsayer's quote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you take the time to read both the Asean Now story from Thai Rath, and the one in the Nation, there are a few interesting discrepancies. Asean Now reported that there were a driver and a friend, that there was some type of impact to the front nearside, that the car span and dragged up some "straw", that the pair got out of the car and photographed it, then it caught fire and they watched it. That is what the photographs suggest and in itself raises several questions. However the version in the Nation is quite different. "Witnesses" say that the car lost control "at speed", flipped several times and came to rest in the middle of the road. Four occupants then exited the car before it burst into flames. It tends to highlight how unreliable witnesses can be here. The car in the photographs does not look to me like one which had "flipped several times", nor is it in the middle of the road. Where did the two extra passengers come from? The account also implies, but it doesn't actually state, that the "engulfing in flames" occurred soon after the passengers got out. The photographs in Asean Now suggest that there was some time to take these photographs before the fire occurred.

3 minutes ago, Dr B said:

Witnesses" say that the car lost control "at speed", flipped several times and came to rest in the middle of the road

No flipage damage visable, must have been a double summersault, backflip. 

4 minutes ago, Dr B said:

Four occupants then exited the car before it burst into flames

There are many ghosts in Thailand.

I see these ghosts all the time when my wife is watching the movie Channel. 

Screenshot_2022-03-25-18-48-44-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-25-18-48-03-56_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

He did - they were 10 days ago on the 15th. And it wasn't Julius Caesar, it was the soothsayer's quote.

Actually in fact, the Ides, according to the Julian calendar (13 days different to Gregorian), falls on March 27th and your comment regarding the soothsayer is dubious as that is simply what Shakespeare wrote. In fact no one knows who really quoted them, if indeed anyone did.

For info I found this interesting after your post and others may do so also.

"Unlike today, the ancient Romans didn’t number their calendar days in order from the first of the month to the last. Instead, they counted backward in relation to three days: the calends, nones, and ides.

• The calends (or kalends; Latin, kalendae) was the first of the month. Calends, source of the word calendar, is when debts were due.
  • The nones (Latin, nōnae) were the ninth day before the ides. This day was equivalent to the seventh day of March, May, July, and October, and the fifth day of the other months. Originally, the nones corresponded to the first quarter of the moon.
  • The ides (Latin, īdūs) were the fifteenth day of the March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day of the other months. The ides originally corresponded to the full moon, storied for its own omens.

So, the Roman day of the month was reckoned by counting the days (including the starting and ending days) before the calends, nones, and ides. March 2 was the Latin equivalent of “six days before the nones of March.” March 13 was the equivalent of “three days before the ides of March.” March 27 was the equivalent of “six days before the calends of April.”"

However I should think the Bentley driver cares little about that and no doubt to lose one car is of little concern to him and/or his wealthy family.