Thai Airlines Urged to Conduct Inspection of Boeing 737-800

webfact

800px-Boeing_737-800_(Gol)_(8373690521).jpg

File photo //Wikimedia

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has said it will notify five Thai airlines that operate Boeing 737-800 aircraft to conduct thorough inspections and closely monitor flight operations following the crash of a China Eastern Airlines Boeing.

China Eastern Airlines immediately grounded its fleet of 106 Boeing 737-800s, in the aftermath of the incident involving flight 5735.

Suttipong Kongpool, director-general of CAAT, stated that an order will be issued to Nok Air, Thai Lion Air, K-Mile Air, Thai Airways International, and Thai Summer Airways to conduct a thorough investigation of their 26 Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

According to Suttipong, all operational aircraft must undergo safety inspections and obtain a Certificate of Airworthiness, adding that airlines must immediately notify CAAT if they discover any technical issues.

Additionally, the CAAT director-general suggested that the recent accident may have been caused by a technical malfunction, not because this particular model is defective, as is the case with the 737 Max, as the 737-800s have been in service for nearly two decades.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Just now, hotchilli said:

Lets wait for the cockpit recorders shall we... or just have a few more guesses.

I have yet to hear if the CVR or Black Box have been recovered and are of use, have you? There was fear early on that they could have been destroyed.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Meh, they all crash.

I assume suicide has been ruled out with the China incident to invoke CAAT to order inspections to be carried out.

I don't think it was suicide because of the "slow" decent of the plane. 6000 meters in a minute equals 360 kilometers per hour, which is essentially  terminal velocity for a plane falling nose down straight out of the sky, which makes me think that the engines must have failed because at full throttle that plane could've easily done 1000 kilometers an hour going straight down. Of course there's always the possibility that the pilot wanted to prolong the misery. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I have yet to hear if the CVR or Black Box have been recovered and are of use, have you? There was fear early on that they could have been destroyed.

Not as yet... [unless they don't want to be found].

46 minutes ago, sezze said:

I have seen images which might suggest , and a say this very carefully , since nothing of that is sure , don't even know if the pics are sure , that the tail of the 737-800 has fallen off . This might be a reason for a plane to drop vertically from the sky . Tail dropping off can have a few reasons also , 1 being massive overspeed when plummeting to the ground , other reason can me massive decompression of the bulkhead in the end of the plane or some other reason .

6000 meters in a minute equals 360 kilometers an hour, that's very slow for an airliner. It's essentially the max speed a plane can reach by just

falling nose down straight out of the sky, which makes me think engines failure, but it's definitely not being massively overspeed. 

13 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

6000 meters in a minute equals 360 kilometers an hour, that's very slow for an airliner. It's essentially the max speed a plane can reach by just

falling nose down straight out of the sky, which makes me think engines failure, but it's definitely not being massively overspeed. 

I thought I read it fell from 29000 to around 7000 in a minute, pulled out and then nosed down again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbenson said:

Saving face for the Chinese. The way the Chinese plane fell from the sky, experts suspect terrorism. So, yeah blame it on the American plane. The plane (737-800) that crashed in China is not the same one that had the two crashes (737 Max) that required the plane to be taken off the market.

How could it have been the same one as the two that crashed previously are in pieces ????   Think you mean the same type of aircraft.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not according to Flightradar24 that was posted elsewhere.  However from that chart I wonder if the passengers suffered a terrible end to their lives as it appeared to take just under 3 minutes from normal cruising altitude to the end. I can not imagine what those poor folk went through in those first few moments that the plane dived almost vertical.

Then what is this?

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1505856329994457092/photo/1

5 hours ago, alyx said:

Kindly act accordingly and swiftly as we are flying out in June

Flying to? Maybe not on a 737-800?

2 hours ago, mania said:

When the whole covid deal hit I told my wife....If it is a year+ of this I will not be the first to fly.

Reason being these planes are not meant to sit idle in hangars for 1 year +

I hope I was wrong

You were wrong. In so, so, so many ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I thought I read it fell from 29000 to around 7000 in a minute, pulled out and then nosed down again.

I believe that is feet, not metres, so that rate of descent would be around 250 mph/400 kph.

• Like 1