Thai Airlines Urged to Conduct Inspection of Boeing 737-800

webfact

7 hours ago, mania said:

When the whole covid deal hit I told my wife....If it is a year+ of this I will not be the first to fly.

Reason being these planes are not meant to sit idle in hangars for 1 year +

I hope I was wrong

The China Eastern aircraft that crashed has never stopped flying since covid began. China minimized disruption by closing the borders. Domestic flights were operating normally the whole time except to a few cities that had short lockdowns. 

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

And the two 737-MAX crashed by nose-diving (arguably not 90 degrees) due to software and an overruling little switch which got - apparently - omitted in training flight deck crew.

MCAS does not have an on/off switch, That would be the reason it was omitted during flight crew training.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not as yet... [unless they don't want to be found].

With respect;-

"One of the two main "black boxes" from a Chinese flight that crashed earlier this week has been discovered, investigators say. ..................................the black box that was located appears to be severely damaged so it's unclear if it will include the CVR (cockpit voice recorder) or FDR (flight data recorder)."

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/23/1088186174/a-black-box-from-the-fatal-chinese-plane-crash-has-been-located-officials-say

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I don't think it was suicide because of the "slow" decent of the plane. 6000 meters in a minute equals 360 kilometers per hour, which is essentially  terminal velocity for a plane falling nose down straight out of the sky, which makes me think that the engines must have failed because at full throttle that plane could've easily done 1000 kilometers an hour going straight down. Of course there's always the possibility that the pilot wanted to prolong the misery. 

Of course, there's always the possibility that you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Not according to Flightradar24 that was posted elsewhere.  However from that chart I wonder if the passengers suffered a terrible end to their lives as it appeared to take just under 3 minutes from normal cruising altitude to the end. I can not imagine what those poor folk went through in those first few moments that the plane dived almost vertical.

Hopefully unconsciousness fairly fast 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WingFat said:

And of course, the Chinese pilots are fully competent and China Eastern Airlines kept up with the required maintenance of these airplanes...yeah right, B***S***. I've flown China Eastern Airlines before years ago...and decided never will I do again.

'Chinese airlines generally have a good safety record - the last major accident took place 12 years ago.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60819760

Just another waffler I suspect!

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Not according to Flightradar24 that was posted elsewhere.  However from that chart I wonder if the passengers suffered a terrible end to their lives as it appeared to take just under 3 minutes from normal cruising altitude to the end. I can not imagine what those poor folk went through in those first few moments that the plane dived almost vertical.

Doesn't bear thinking about. May their souls rest in peace. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WingFat said:

And of course, the Chinese pilots are fully competent and China Eastern Airlines kept up with the required maintenance of these airplanes...yeah right, B***S***. I've flown China Eastern Airlines before years ago...and decided never will I do again.

I'd bet that the Chinese flight crew and maintenance teams are a lot more competent in their area of work than you were as a passenger years ago.   Chinese airlines have a good safety record.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Watched two different programs and programme segment via satellite from both Australia (my home soil) and a German one, both with sets of aviation engineers, ex National Transport and safety Board (NTSB) and other experts (ex captains etc) a short while back (maybe a month or two back ), and they all said that this particular Boeing platform was tried-and-true, reasonably long serving and proven to be very stable. The programs were talking about a range of Boeing issues arising out of the Max tragedies and (as they were reporting and giving expert opinions and knowledge about) debacle.

I have to admit I now always look for Airbus planes since the Max issues a whole back. 

My reticence to fly Boeing planes now has been assisted by and from these programmes and other newsfeeds I have since seen) in which Boeing responded to the Max crashes, in concert with the disclosure of serious quality control and other manufacture, procedural, and attitudinal issues disclosed about Boeings manufacturing and corporate culture which indicated an unsafe, lackadaisical, cover-up/avoidant compromised environment.  

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

As I - for one - have no clue what went terribly wrong (and it went terribly wrong) I'll stay away from both aircraft until the source is identified, addressed and solved. Everything else is speculative and unprofessional - including the "urge to conduct"

"Everything else is speculative and unprofessional - including..."

...your comments about the planes and their safety.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Having all of those planes around the world sitting idle has made me weary of flying for at least a year to allow those cobwebs to clear up, so to speak.

Now that they have found the 2nd black box, hopefully the cause can be revealed and not covered up like Malaysian flight MH370.

RIP to all on board.

Depends a lot on the carrier and where the planes were mothballed.

The much maligned legacy carriers parked them in deserts because of the low humidity - Arizona is most famous. 

In Spain a small maintenance airfield at high altitude suddenly became the parking lot for most EU airlines and expanded rapidly.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-banishes-planes-to-the-desert/a-53433298

The planes were regularly maintained precisely because you can't simply park up something that complex with no attention.

Dunno where they parked them in Asia or how they were maintained ... but airlines have operators' certificates to keep current ... anyone any ideas, links?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mania said:

When the whole covid deal hit I told my wife....If it is a year+ of this I will not be the first to fly.

Reason being these planes are not meant to sit idle in hangars for 1 year +

I hope I was wrong

You were. They were parked outside.... ????

8 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I thought I read it fell from 29000 to around 7000 in a minute, pulled out and then nosed down again.

That's news to me, although I haven't been following up. If that was the case then this would certainly speak for engine problems.

6 hours ago, chiman said:

737 (minus the Max, which Boeing should never have launched like they did) is one of the safest planes every built.  

What, with an unexplained crash killing 132 only in the last week..... probably not no more it isn't.

Did see this..

One of the plane’s so-called black boxes—the cockpit voice recorderwas recovered Wednesday, according to reports. The flight-data recorder hadn’t been located as of Friday afternoon Eastern time.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

One can rule out engine failure straight away. A double engine failure is a very rare event and even if it did happen, aircraft can and do glide. Pilots train for such an event in the simulator. In addition there was no 'mayday' call.

In fact there was no communication at all from the cockpit once the aircraft went into its 'death dive' which leads me to suspect that this was a deliberate act on the part of one of the aircrew.

They have found the cockpit voice recorder which should shed some light on this tragedy. 

The engines were definitely off, otherwise the plane would've decended a lot faster than at a speed of 360 kilometers an hour. 360kmh is literally the plane falling out of the sky nose down with no engines. Hopefully the voice recorder will shed some light.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

One can rule out engine failure straight away. A double engine failure is a very rare event and even if it did happen, aircraft can and do glide. Pilots train for such an event in the simulator. In addition there was no 'mayday' call.

In fact there was no communication at all from the cockpit once the aircraft went into its 'death dive' which leads me to suspect that this was a deliberate act on the part of one of the aircrew.

They have found the cockpit voice recorder which should shed some light on this tragedy. 

But why the very slow decent rate then? As I've said before the plan traveled at a speed of 360 kilometers an hour. That's literally engines off, nose down!

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What, with an unexplained crash killing 132 only in the last week..... probably not no more it isn't.

Can’t draw any conclusions about this plane until all the evidence comes in.  Could be a pilot problem—no one knows yet.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Quite clearly the poster has literally zero knowledge of aviation, nearly 100% the thing he speculates is probably the most 100% most unlikely scenario one could ever consider, given you just do not get double engine failure and even in the 1 in a 100 million chance it did happen the plane would not nose dive like it did. Quite simply one of the most uninformed posts i have ever read on this forum, which is quite an achievement in itself

Thanks for the flowers! ????

Of course instead of educating me on the subject matter in your reply to me, you chose a ride on your high horse and now you offer the explanation to someone else. I guess you get a kick out of ridiculing other people! Your mother must be so proud of you! Speaks volumes about your character!