Thai authorities to meet Monday for proposal allowing water-splashing activities in tourism heavy areas for Songkran after business owner complaints about ban

webfact

'including the permission to splash water at the next meeting of the Communicable Disease Committee on Monday'

Lucky committee! Can I join this committee please! 

Edited by MaiDong

This Songkran looks like it will be the turning point. They're gonna have to throw in the towel. Everyone's fed up, it's been too long.

Look at the recent Pattaya vids on YT. Nearly all the bars have reopened. Oh yeah, they're following the Covid "safety measures", all have alcohol gel in front, signs reminding you to social distance, and have now become "restaurants" since Covid is less contagious around food or something. Heh.

Yet from what I can tell we're back to the good ol' Amazing Thailand with hands on gyrating waists and behinds in skimpy mini dresses, the same older blokes in their Chang tank tops, and nowhere to be seen is that new wave of high rolling five-star quality tourists talked much about.

• Like 1

Thai authorities to meet Monday for proposal allowing water-splashing activities in tourism heavy areas for Songkran after business owner complaints about ban

Listen mate, I doubt it will make any difference to business. 

1. Foreign tourists are not about to suddenly book a holiday and go through hoops for a water fight.

2. The foreigners still here are like me, are old, grumpy and will avoid the area like the plague.

3. Thais have already been exploited enough to bail these idiots out, only business they will help are likely to be the local 7/11's or bring their change and grub  !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

2. The foreigners still here are like me, are old, grumpy and will avoid the area like the plague.

Basically it will keep me out of town for the holidays ,when I was considering a few nights in a hotel there. I don't mind others enjoying themselves, but it is the randomness of it... will I get drenched, my phone potentially damaged....?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to propose a plan for Songkran celebrations including the permission to splash water at the next meeting of the Communicable Disease Committee on Monday, March 28th.

Make an area a "water splash area" and thousands will flock there and increase the infection rates... absolute buffoons.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter in the slightest what the authorities decide. People will do whatever they want to do, with zero enforcement of the 'rules'. Anyway, what has chucking water over people got to do with Covid? Absolutely nothing. Just more control control control.

• Thanks 1

Well the good news can't see many foreigners arriving in Thailand for the Songkran  2022

The ones here know what's expected  so if you want to enjoy go ahead others like me stay away especially from areas like  Khao San Road and Pattaya 

Enjoy ????

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

buckets of Klong water is not clean.  doubt if you would want to drink it?

The authorities have never concerned themselves with klong water before. Just look at the state of it. This is about the potential transmission of Covid. From buckets of water. Or beer. Or wine. Or riding a motorbike. Inane. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A. No thank you.

B. No thank you.

C. 'Targeted' suggests bullying, and that is what it often is.. sadistic people doing it maliciously.

D. Is 'very fun' even English? Anyhow, it is fun for many but perhaps not all. Just a band of drunks picking on other people like a football mob. Infantile.....

Nope. You speak of those who have not participated in many years but keep perpetuating lies.  In Bangkok on Silom Songkran from 2015 to 2019 was a great place to enjoy.  They do water play three days. It's very rare to see anyone  drunk. It's very fun and it's actually therapeutic! There's always a mob on this forum who really know nothing. Spare me the pics.  I was there and thousands of others were also.  No klong water either!  Just tons of fun. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Basically it will keep me out of town for the holidays ,when I was considering a few nights in a hotel there. I don't mind others enjoying themselves, but it is the randomness of it... will I get drenched, my phone potentially damaged....?

I used to put my mobile and glasses in a zip lock bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Nope. You speak of those who have not participated in many years but keep perpetuating lies.  In Bangkok on Silom Songkran from 2015 to 2019 was a great place to enjoy.  They do water play three days. It's very rare to see anyone  drunk. It's very fun and it's actually therapeutic! There's always a mob on this forum who really know nothing. Spare me the pics.  I was there and thousands of others were also.  No klong water either!  Just tons of fun. 

After a few years playing Songkran during the mid 1990s and 2000s it tends to get boring and not really worth bothering with any more.

I used to play on Sukhumvit 22 and 93. After I was married I also used to play for a few years in the big village near where I live up country, in Kamphaeng Phet and father afield so  guess I DO have the experience of Songkran and probably a little more than you.

Having said that neither I nor my family played last year or in 2020 nor will we this year because of Covid.

I do make an exception for young children though.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You are correct, my last experience was in Pattaya and it may well have been different. But perhaps if you never experienced that, it is you who could also be referred to as a mob on this forum who really know nothing. After seeing a gang fight and beating, and soon after a fight between 2 farangs, where one had been deliberately targeted by another with malicious intent, I decided it was not kiddies playtime any more. 

Grow up....

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I used to put my mobile and glasses in a zip lock bag.

My plan was usually not to get drenched, and for that reason, as many do, stay home for a few days. I recall doing that, and having a post songkran ride around Pattaya early in the morning, it was like some tumbleweed derelict town. I of course got caught on my motorcycle on the way home by a kid on a street corner, my first and only drenching that year...oh well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are correct, my last experience was in Pattaya and it may well have been different. But perhaps if you never experienced that, it is you who could also be referred to as a mob on this forum who really know nothing. After seeing a gang fight and beating, and soon after a fight between 2 farangs, where one had been deliberately targeted by another with malicious intent, I decided it was not kiddies playtime any more. 

Grow up....

Zzzzzzzzz

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Grow up....

Why do thousands of adults participate? Even people in their 60's and 70's?

On 3/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, spidermike007 said:

The authorities have never concerned themselves with klong water before. Just look at the state of it. This is about the potential transmission of Covid. From buckets of water. Or beer. Or wine. Or riding a motorbike. Inane. 

well i should get some of it analyzed at CMU and post the results.

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 5:46 AM, alex8912 said:

Silom, 2017.  Lumpini Park was packed, and this crowd went on for blocks and blocks.  Generating all kinds of spending, if only on super squirters.  I took the photo from the BTS Skywalk, but spent a lot of time in the crowd in Lumpini Park.  It was a great time, and I only got wet when I motioned people it was okay to squirt me.

P_20170413_173515.jpg

• Like 1