Agent stole me and wife passport! We need help!

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How were they lost?

You can do a police report for a lost or stolen passport without being arrested. You were given false info from the person that told you that would happen.

You need to contact the agency and get them to assist you with your problems.

But he says that their visas have now expired.

46 minutes ago, RetiredJohn said:

I got angry and said to her that I will go to the police and then the husband talked to me and said they know people and can arrest me if I go to the police

Perhaps he/they have experience being arrested?

Maybe because of a bit of "gardening"? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RetiredJohn said:

We are very scared and we do not know what to do because we are old people who wanted to be retired. What can we do now?

How did you enter Thailand.

Meaning tourist visa or.....etc?

When does your current permission of stay end? 

Did you deal with an agency with an office or just some random guy? 

If no progress can be made with agent then report your passports lost. 

Which country are you from?

You will need emergency pp.

Lot depends on your permission of stay status. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

His permision to stay status is irrelevent.

To get a new passport from his Embassy needs a Police Report.

Get it ASP.

If he still has a valid POS and entered on tourist visa or visa exempt he may have time to obtain emergency pp and apply for covid extension.

Problem is not sure how immigration treats emergency pp regarding extension. 

BTW I mentioned the passport and police report. 

4 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

So urgent he hasnt bothered to reply ...

yes, maybe the same ones who normally start threads with outlandish stories involving elite, then just disappear, once they see enough taking the bite, maybe its the turn of the retirement visa, it felt reading to be unreal, not that bad things can't happen, just a hunch on reading it, maybe after this, they be replies with lots of evidence, and I be eating humble pie, lets see

• Like 2

Sounds fishy to begin with, but why wouldn't  you report the theft or lost passport  to your Embassy  beig that every passport  is property of the perspective  countries Government.   If I knew who stole or had my Passport  I would go to the Authorities  and my Embassy.   Have you went to your Embassy  or is there a reason you haven't?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So someone joins and asks a question on a forum most likely to have people with useful answers......

Think that's bit over the top post.

Indeed nothing wrong with opening an account and starting a thread.

What's a little unusual is to exit AseanNow as soon as the thread is started. 

Then not a revisit in next 5+ hours.

It's a reasonable response from some to question the validity of this topic.

In any event if genuine uj (as usual) has given the op advice echoed by others. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's a fair assumption that the agent still has the Passports but is attempting to figure out how to extort more money, or simply wants to ‘cut the Op off’ so that they can keep whatever money they were given to process the retirement visa... 

Assuming this is not a troll thread, the chances are 80% that the passports have been mislaid (and cannot be located after a search); 19% that the passports were stolen, but not by the agent; and 1% something abnormal. Especially if the passports are sent to another province for processing, the passports will tend to pass through many hands. This provides many opportunities for passports to go astray. Some agents have appalling administrative skills, and are temporarily losing track of passports and applications all the time. There is a very good chance that the passports could still turn up, but unknown when this might happen.

If the claim that the OP was threatened to prevent reporting to the police, this suggests that the agent believes the passports may still turn up. This would be a best case scenario, as the couple might then not be on overstay if the extensions were issued before the passports went astray.

If filing the police report (safest IMHO) try to find out from the agent where the passports were sent for the extension, and whether the extension had been granted. Unfortunately, it might be necessary to travel to another province to get stamps reinstated in new passports if the extensions were processed prior to the passports going missing.

It is a mess.

• Like 1

If it were me I would just go straight to my embassy and forget about the police, tell the embassy it's lost (not stolen) have them give me a slip and pick up the new one when it arrives.

Then goto immigration and have the visa re-issued, they should have something on file.

If you really need the report first, 

Try reporting it to the police in another city, like Chiang Mai. Go for vacation.

Just tell them you lost it (not stolen) in Chiang Mai.

If the agent stole the passports they are going to get nicked anyway once you get a replacement if they try to use them, so does not matter if you report it as stolen or lost.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Must report as soon as possible and tell the truth how it is lost. If you gave it to the agent, give full info. I lost my passport in the hotel (I did not lose it but my GF took it and left after an altercation) and I immediately reported to the police and told them I left the hotel door unlocked and my GF was in the hotel but I have no way to know if she took it or not. I told the police where she lives and police went to her home. Her mother told that I have a baby with her. Police than told  me that it is a family matter and I should get it from her. But they wrote a letter for me to take it to embassy for a new passport and gave me a ride to the bus station for a bus to Ubon. It all happened in Rasi salai.

• Like 1