Travelling by train

Charlie

Next month (April or May) I plan to travel by train from Bangkok to Hatyai.

Then continue to Padang Besar to cross over to Malaysia.

Which train station should I choose from Bangkok ?

Is it still from Hua Lampong Station or I have to take the train from the

new Bang Sue Grand Station ?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

• Like 1

Here's my favorite site for Thai train travel, though I don't know how up to date it is.  Still a great resource with stories, especially if interested in following the Death Railway.  Also explains some of the idiosyncrasies and the historical changes that have made train travel in Thailand "interesting".

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm  (for info on travel past the border)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I wish you Good Luck, Sir! Please be careful about the bombs and all insurgents.

Regardless of your good intention and facts, I think such statement be kept away from public as many people might interpret it differently. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I wish you Good Luck, Sir! Please be careful about the bombs and all insurgents.

When was the last western foreigner killed by a bomb or an insurgent in South Thailand?

Your odds of falling off a high balcony in Pattaya are much worse.

Malaysian foreigner, maybe.  Because a lot of the Malaysian visitors participate in the type of businesses that make them targets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

When was the last western foreigner killed by a bomb or an insurgent in South Thailand?

Your odds of falling off a high balcony in Pattaya are much worse.

Malaysian foreigner, maybe.  Because a lot of the Malaysian visitors participate in the type of businesses that make them targets.

Sure Dude, and there is no chance at all to just happen to be in the wrong place when one of the, around, 30 - 40 bombs per year go off.

I was not saying that they target you, but always calculate with the risks.

Regarding falling off a high balcony in Pattaya, was one of the worst things ever the compare with. One you can control, and another one you can´t.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Husain Tula said:

Regardless of your good intention and facts, I think such statement be kept away from public as many people might interpret it differently. ????

BS! Why so? It´s already known that it goes off more bombs in the south areas of Thailand, then anywhere else in the country. It´s also well know that those areas have most of what is called insurgents. As a last thing, it´s also very well known that most insurgents have chosen to call themselves muslims. Not that they are anyway near the path in the good book, but they do a very good job of destroying for the good ones.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

You didn't answer the question.  How long since a foreigner died by bomb or insurgent?  How many a year?

I do not have to answer that question. I am just calculating with the risk factor.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Many years ago, when you could cross the borders on the train, I actually took the train all the way from Singapore to Bangkok. I did this partly because I wanted to take a lot of stuff with me that, with baggage allowances of the time, would have cost a fortune if I went by air. However, at that time, it was a wonderful trip, with an excellent dining car open for almost the whole two-day trip.

I think KTMB (the Malaysian rail operator) would like to run trains of the same standard today, but the State Railway of Thailand has been steadily degrading its own services for many years. The Bangkok to Hat Yai service is still just about worth taking, but it really makes no sense to try to do the complete route to Singapore now Trying to get down to Padang Besar, get across the border (which sometimes means trekking over to the road crossing (when immigration at the station is closed) and waiting for a connection up to Butterworth is just not worth it.

Train travel is great. I remember catching the night train to BKK in the early 80's. What a wonderful thing it would be to build a great world class service once again running all the way, for Singapore through Thailand and on to say China with great sleepers, viewing cabins, open-air cars.

• Like 2

I used to take the train from Bangkok to Butterworth and also from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Bangkok to Nong Khai back in the 90's.  Back then, the trains were quite a bit cheaper than flying, even the 2nd class A/C sleeper cars.  That has changed a bit now and flying isn't that much more than traveling by train.  However, I like trains so still like using them if I have the time.  The Malaysian trains, although more expensive, are a lot nicer.  

14 hours ago, orchis said:

https://www.railway.co.th/Home/Index
still running from Hua Lampong (station remains active) but you can also board at Bang Sue, the new central station.

Trains out of Hua Lampong can be boarded at Bang Sue but be careful! It's the old, original station -- called Bang Sue Junction -- not the new Grand Central. They are several hundred meters apart. If not familiar with the area I suggest the OP board at Hua Lampong.

The plan is for all interprovincial trains to leave from Bang Sue Grand Central in the future.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I do not have to answer that question. I am just calculating with the risk factor.

Are you really calculating? In general humans are terrible at evaluating risk. Emotion overrides logic. As far as the risk of travelling to Sothern Thailand is concerned, the main risks are the same as travelling elsewhere in Thailand (actually a little less than some other areas). In particular, traffic accidents kill far more people than bombs, even in the worst affected insurgency areas. Based on current data, I would have no qualms about travelling through Southern Thailand. I would choose the train, when possible, in preference to road travel (though I would risk the latter if necessary). I would avoid crowds in certain areas, not because the risk of bombs is high, but because it is possible, and it makes sense to mitigate the risk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Are you really calculating? In general humans are terrible at evaluating risk. Emotion overrides logic. As far as the risk of travelling to Sothern Thailand is concerned, the main risks are the same as travelling elsewhere in Thailand (actually a little less than some other areas). In particular, traffic accidents kill far more people than bombs, even in the worst affected insurgency areas. Based on current data, I would have no qualms about travelling through Southern Thailand. I would choose the train, when possible, in preference to road travel (though I would risk the latter if necessary). I would avoid crowds in certain areas, not because the risk of bombs is high, but because it is possible, and it makes sense to mitigate the risk.

Yes, I am calculating. After that I only post what I would do and not do. Everyone for themselves.

In February I took the 1st class sleeper from Hua Hin to Hat Yai on my way to Koh Lipe for some diving. If you are traveling alone, you run the risk of having a cabin mate. If you pay an extra 800B, you can reserve the cabin to yourself, but you can only do that in-person at the station. You can not reserve the entire cabin online. I did that on the way down, but was unable to do so on the journey back. I was dreading the strange cabin mate, but it never happened. I had the cabin to myself and did not have to pay extra. And the cabin was very nice, and it was fun to sleep on the train. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Charlie said:

Next month (April or May) I plan to travel by train from Bangkok to Hatyai.

Then continue to Padang Besar to cross over to Malaysia.

I did a border run to PB just as the pandemic started, fairly straightforward. You can get a train direct from Bangkok to PB but it is the old rolling stock. You are better getting as you suggest the overnight to Hat Yai and then get the shuttle to PB. Second class in the new rolling stock is reasonably comfortable. If I remember right you need to get the earlier overnight in order to catch the shuttle, only goes twice a day.  Much easier than going the last bit by road.

There are 2 stops at PB, one each side of the border, you get off at the second and pass through immigration on the platform. You can then get a Malaysian train or there will be taxi drivers hanging about the entrance.

Be careful with the train times, some times will be Malaysian, one hour in front.

https://railtravelstation.com/state-railway-of-thailand/southern-line/hat-yai-padang-besar-shuttle-train/

On 3/31/2022 at 11:34 AM, dekestone said:

Trains out of Hua Lampong can be boarded at Bang Sue but be careful! It's the old, original station -- called Bang Sue Junction -- not the new Grand Central. They are several hundred meters apart. If not familiar with the area I suggest the OP board at Hua Lampong.

The plan is for all interprovincial trains to leave from Bang Sue Grand Central in the future.  

I am grateful to yourself and orchis for this info.

When was Hua Lamphong originally due to close.?

When is it currently due to  close.?

Many thanks. 

23 hours ago, rott said:

I am grateful to yourself and orchis for this info.

When was Hua Lamphong originally due to close.?

When is it currently due to  close.?

Many thanks. 

Originally due to close in late December 2021. But there was a lot of pushback from the public about closing the Hua Lampong station. The government has been quiet about it since then. I have not seen or read anything about when they intend to shut down Hua Lampong for good.

• Thanks 1

Hubby and I took the train from Bang Sue Junction to Hua Hin two weeks ago.  The new Bang Sue Grand station isn't serving trains yet.  We took Train 31, a new, excellent train with wonderful modern 1st class cabin.  As said, reserve the entire cabin for yourself.  

Right now, there is no food service on board, although some hawkers come on at stops.  But, they focus more on the 2nd class cars, where there are more people.  We got friendly, i.e. gave a tip, to the porter serving our car and he scored some food for us at the stops, fortunately, because we were on the very last car of the train and weren't getting much love from the hawkers.

This situation was tolerable for the 4.5 hr trip from Bang Sue Junction to Hua Hin, but it would have been bad for a long trip all the way to Hat Yai.  Bring food and drink.  They just provided a couple of little bottles of unchilled water.