Standard bike, straight out the showroom - Not road legal ?

Went to my local dealers today to check out the new Honda ADV 350 "urban racer edition" - A limited edition to get the model off  to flying start ....

I looked inside the "yoshimura" silencer and thought there is no way that can be road legal - I told the salesman my concerns, but he assured me that it was road legal - It is exactly how it was delivered from Honda, and the same as the advertising promo stuff - no way would the manufacturers sell a new bike that wasn't 100% road legal ....

Synical me looked for a "TIS" stamp, but there wasn't one ....

Someone who has bought one of the first ones registered, concerned about the noise, has taken it to his local MOT test centre for a DB test .... (legal limit is 95DB) .....

Imagine shelling out 200,000 baht for your brand new shiny bike and 100m down the road from the dealers getting a tug by the rozzers with a db tester, who take great pleasure in confiscating the bike and crushing the exhaust ....

276195642_268505508812919_8221553660223226708_n.jpg

a.jpg

277673793_5138024949588749_8070652116920275278_n.jpg

277769336_5138024806255430_3617918896804342881_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And the point of this thread is?

That muffler is listed by Honda as an accessory. So you can request to have one fitted if YOU wish. 

Also one can also buy dB killers for Yoshimura if YOU wish.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

True.

But it seems many of us forget that we were also young some time ago. I also had a small bike at that time. When I was 16 I wasn't allowed to have anything faster. So what did I do? I made it louder so at least I though it is faster.

I am not a fan of very loud bikes. But I think it is not too difficult to understand why mostly young guys do what they do - not only in Thailand. 

2021-Langen-Two-Stroke-First-Look-high-p

old sad farang also do it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always dreamed about those 4 pipes of the RD500. But I could never afford it.

I yearned for 3 but didn't have the courage to jump. Would have been even madder when ex-wife sold it.

spacer.png

She sold one of these instead 

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:57 AM, eisfeld said:

@properperson at what RPM was that measurement taken? Did they look at the specs to determine how the test needs to be done? I have not seen a single test being performed in Thailand in full accordance with the TIS regulations.

"I have not seen a single test being performed in Thailand in full accordance..."

How many tests have you actually witnessed being performed?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I have not seen a single test being performed in Thailand in full accordance..."

How many tests have you actually witnessed being performed?

Or read the full TIS regulations for that matter.

• Like 1

So many loud bikes in Thailand and they never bother, do you think BIB will bother to stop a brand new ADV350 and test it's exhaust to find it is 5db over the limit - even if their equipment is that sensitive..! maybe that shop showed 5db too much !? 

32 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Even sadder when adults use them

Different people like different kinds of music.

You can thank me for the ringtone later.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

To a certain extent, I'd understand a race can on a superbike (ZX10R, R1, etc.) or a powerful roadster (SpeedTriple, Monster, etc.), but honestly, I do not, really, see the point on a scooter!