Thailand confirms accurate reporting of positive COVID-19 antigen tests

webfact

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

As the great majority are self-tested, they would not report it and just don't turn to work or send to school, because of 10 days self-isolation and social stigma coming with it. 
They would give some other excuses for absence. 
There was suppose to be much higher ratio between atk and pcr tests. 
government knows weekly sales of atk's, so they can estimate how many positives are not reported. Just by compering to rate for pcr positives, which are always properly conducted and reported by hospitals

My wife just bought 20 ATK kits in Thailand but the very small print shows manufactured in China.  So is that automatically 20 positives since they have never been used?  I kept a previously purchased ATK made in the Netherlands for myself, if I ever get any symptoms.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

UK tests - 505,000,000

Thailand tests - 17,000,000

Fact the UK has tested it's populace about 8 times each, whilst Thailand has failed to test , what 70% of its population altogether should be more than anybody needs to know about what a complete failure these numpties have made of the covid testing

Yes, UK a total success. Only spent 37 billion so far, that's what you call value for money!

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/150988/unimaginable-cost-of-test-trace-failed-to-deliver-central-promise-of-averting-another-lockdown/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I often wondered if anyone takes a blood sample when someone in the villages die before they cremate them, some on the same day.

It is not my experience that they are cremated on the same day. Often rest in the Wat for a few after being released from a morgue facility. 

Is it so different in these Covid times?

If you don't know what happens you can hardly claim statistics are being swept anywhere. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is not my experience that they are cremated on the same day. Often rest in the Wat for a few after being released from a morgue facility. 

Is it so different in these Covid times?

If you don't know what happens you can hardly claim statistics are being swept anywhere. 

Do you live in a village ?

I am just going off what my Thai wife tells me, i.e. when people die in the village there are no autopsies carried out, and of course the one's that get cremated on the same day are the poorest of the poorest families who cannot afford the wake and use the money that the village has donated, usually 150 baht per family to cover the cremation costs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Do you live in a village ?

In a way I do, but close to the City. The realty is I went to quite a number of funerals in my wife's village over the years. 

I agree an autopsy would be unlikely, but surely a death certificate is issued.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

"Meanwhile, the COVID-19 Information Centre reported 28,029 new infections today (Saturday), diagnosed through RT-PCR tests, and 96 deaths in the past 24 hours."

...which does not include positives from ATKs.

And this was the point that many people have been making - that while you can find ATK numbers if you look for them (however accurate or inaccurate those might be), they aren't included in the headline figure that's announced every day, even when they number in the tens of thousands.

Officials could reasonably argue that including them could result in double counting, since many people who test positive on the ATK subsequently get a confirmatory PCR (for insurance, if nothing else), but the headline figure is still misleadingly low.

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The only person I know who died of Covid in a village died at night and was cremated the next morning, due to local policy. I have no idea whether they would have had the same express cremation if Covid hadn't been confirmed.

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In a way I do, but close to the City. The realty is I went to quite a number of funerals in my wife's village over the years. 

I agree an autopsy would be unlikely, but surely a death certificate is issued.

Not sure about death certificate's, however will ask wife when she wakes up.

Who knows, could put down died of old age, drowned, too muk drink.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

If they tested 5 million people in a single day I wonder how many would be positive?

I believe the correct answer in Thailand is "How many would you like it to be, sir?" or possibly "How much do you have with you?"

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

My wife just bought 20 ATK kits in Thailand but the very small print shows manufactured in China.  So is that automatically 20 positives since they have never been used?  I kept a previously purchased ATK made in the Netherlands for myself, if I ever get any symptoms.

I have a pack of antigen tests I brought back from the UK -  Made in China.

Obviously explains why the UK figures are so high.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

We had it, self isolated, and almost everyone in town got Covid at one stage. The fear of 2 weeks in an expensive hospital, even children alone,  kept people from going to  the authorities. Well done Health Authority Thailand (Anutin). The official numbers must run in the hundred thousands.

Better than the UK then with a smaller population, they are talking in millions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

UK tests - 505,000,000

Thailand tests - 17,000,000

Fact the UK has tested it's populace about 8 times each, whilst Thailand has failed to test , what 70% of its population altogether should be more than anybody needs to know about what a complete failure these numpties have made of the covid testing

The testing numbers are quite irrelevant in the bigger picture.

What a is a lot more important is what percentage of the Thai population are queuing up for routine hospital procedures, how many are dying from treatment delay and how many excess deaths has there been during the pandemic.

3 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Bought on LAZADA perhaps?  The advertisers on the LAZ -e-commerce platform include a great many scammers, especially among those that 'ship-from abroad'. Generally, Thai based suppliers are more trustworthy, but 20% of the orders are received broken due to inadequate packing, or even the wrong product.  Getting a refund from LAZ is a minefield of excessively complicated administrative procedure but if you can wade through it, they will collect the return product for free - and then the waiting starts...

Lets face it, in Thailand there are anecdotes, stories, tall stories, lies, damn lies and statistics.  The statistics use data that either are at best only partially relevant to the topic, are collected in such a way as to ensure the outcome is as desired, or have been selected appropriately.

In the past in France it was all about "cherchez la femme" (of course now in western Europe this is called rape) while in Thailand it is "where is the money" or "who loses face".

• Thanks 1