Phuket Restaurant Prices - Dual Pricing

Banana7

15 minutes ago, timendres said:

You can see the double pricing on the menu.

Seperate menus - Thai and English. If you don't know how likely are you to ask for the Thai version? It's not just a Phuket thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Seperate menus - Thai and English. If you don't know how likely are you to ask for the Thai version? It's not just a Phuket thing.

Good point. I imagined it being the same menu, which makes little sense now that I think about it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Don Dunkelblum said:

Dual pricing has been approved by Thai courts as legitimate:

If this is true, it is allowed to discriminate in Thailand.

I might be wrong but I thought there are laws against this. 

Anyone knows if this is happening as well in Cambodia?

Maybe time to make a move.

Lived in Phuket 35 years ( 23 in Kamala)  never ate in a restaurant that had dual pricing>
Cambodia  most of the food sucks and NOT cheaper and as their poor, cant afford to menus in 2 languages....  LOL
street food.....forget it!!!
+ its cheaper in phuket to eat than in cambodia and the quality is much higher.

FYI:
now have 7/11's in Cambodia , much of the same stuff BUT it costs ya 50-100% more!!!
they even have slurpee's

Edited by zzzzz
  • Confused 2

Not sure where you are from, but plenty of dual pricing in USA -- you are just more accustomed to it there...

I would expect that in Phuket they pay high rents and land costs, so prices will be higher than the soup in my village where the lady has a couple of picnic tables outside her home. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Rare, but we've been in restaurants with 2 different priced menus.  Usually find out when wife goes in, while I'm parking, then I'll arrive and pick out or be give an English menu .... oops.

We just order off the Thai menu, pointing to & keeping the menu, until the bill comes, IF we actually stay.  Last time was during the 'situation' above Kanchanaburi, and we stayed, as few other options.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just not true, food quality is the same (they use more peanuts and coconut milk in Cambodia, less chilli's). I had this nice curry in Siam Reap, with fresh bread rolls, if you have alcohol with your meal, Cambodia will be cheaper (sex on the beach $2). Although mostly I eat Indian food in Cambodia as they are good quality everywhere.

P_20190117_201937 (1).jpg

food quality  not nearly the same

I agree 100%, indian food in Cambodia is good and the only cuisine i have eaten here that is cheaper.

FYI: i'll take Homok Talay over Amok seafood anyday  ????

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

I've never come across this in LOS, but it was widespread in (northern at least) Vietnam in 2007/8 when I was there.

In one restaurant they refused to serve us what the locals were eating at another table even though we asked for it specifically. It looked great, but was not even on the menu they gave us. That was presumably the 'tourist menu' which was a list of stir fries with different ingredients - which was of diabolical presentation and taste when it came.

Several incidents like that (the last one in Hoi An where I'd progressed to from Hanoi) were why I left early and returned to LOS. Even getting correct change back was a constant hassle and in the end it wasn't worth it. That was a trip I'd looked forward to very much.

I'll give it another crack next year and try and roll it up from the south ... 

It was far far worse than anything I've ever experienced in Thailand, where you have to have your wits about you but most people and places are OK.

My experience in VT was exactly the other way round, much to the sadness of my charming Vietnamese colleague back home.

• Like 2