Deputy leader of Thailand’s Democrat party quits amid sexual harassment allegations

snoop1130

39FE3BA1-00E4-40BE-A330-81DA1F692389.jpeg

A deputy leader of the Democrat Party, Prinn Panitchpakdi, announced his resignation from all posts in the party today (Thursday), as he categorically denied multiple allegations of sexual harassment on social media.

In a press conference held this afternoon, Prinn admitted that he is shocked by the allegations, but insisted on his innocence.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

“This is not true. People who know me also know that I am not that kind of person (who sexually harasses women),” said Prinn.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/deputy-leader-of-thailands-democrat-party-quits-amid-sexual-harassment-allegations/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I thought this wasnt a big deal in the LOS.  I go to department  and home improvement  stores all over the LOS and see all kinds to harassment,  with both male and females grabbing  and touching each other.  How can the top be punished  for whats not a big deal to the rest of them.

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

By "not a big deal" you mean ignored, allowed, tolerated, not prosecuted?

You may be unfamiliar with the thai social contract?

You know this situation is really bad, maybe because of the ages of the victims, the acts, the quantity and the attempt to buy off a mother. 

Underlings, often the subject of assault, harassment and abuse, have zero power here. They cannot accuse someone higher than them for fear of retribution - trot out the Defamation charges.

That this one reached the surface indicates how unpalatable it is, and would be, if exposed further.

I'd be careful defending this chap here, or in general, heaping scorn on accusers. You may end up looking the fool later on.

Exactly!  If they dont deal with it at the inept level, then why hold the top accountable?  And I'm not defending,  I'm being sarcastic!  Of course it should not be tolerated women and men in all social  classes deserve the same respect  and protection.   It's justwhen this post came out I had just visited ahome improvement  store recently,  and have noticed on other visits to similar  stores and department stores, that they can act so inappropriately.  Its not like they are young teenagers,  though they act that way.  I have seen them very touchy feely and doing inappropriate  things to fellow employees. So I was saying its rampant all over in reality.  I mean the term "mia noi" isn't  supposed to be a real or legal thing, but they accept it, or lose face, money, stability, or something.   

16 hours ago, chuang said:

Innocent, why resigned.

"He said that the unfounded allegations have affected his responsibilities and activities in the party, so he decided to quit to spare the reputation of the party and that he will defend himself in the court of law."

With an election being mooted for the near future, perhaps he did what was best for the party?

On the other hand, maybe the allegations are true? Neither of us knows but resigning from the party doesn't automatically make him guilty.

• Thanks 1

Police vow fair probe of sex harassment claim against Prinn

Police have vowed there will be no bias in their investigation of sexual harassment allegations against Prinn Panitchpakdi, who resigned as Democrat Party deputy leader on Thursday.

Prinn is the son of former deputy prime minister and World Trade Organisation chief Supachai Panitchpakdi. He began his career in politics in 2019 as the head of the Democrat's economic team.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014562

• Haha 1

now some 20 women came forward.

Rape, not just sexual harrasment.

"EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Alleged Rape Victim of Democrat Party Deputy Leader Speak Out

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

BANGKOK -- Anna Vidhyaphum, 30, on Thursday became the first person to publicly accuse Democrat Party deputy leader Prinn Panitchapakdi of rape. As of press time Friday, about twenty people have made similar claims and some have reported to police accusing Prinn of sexual harassment, sexual assault or rape. Prinn held a press conference at the Democrat Party Thursday afternoon, saying he’s innocent. He resigned from all party posts and has assigned his lawyer to fight the mounting allegations."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/5396831753669046

• Like 1

He was previously detained in London on suspicuon of rape or sexual assault of two women when he was 25. Seems this lad might have a bit of an issue. At the very least he has not hidden behind parlimentary immunity or just started throwing lawsuits around. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

I thought this wasnt a big deal in the LOS.  I go to department  and home improvement  stores all over the LOS and see all kinds to harassment,  with both male and females grabbing  and touching each other.  How can the top be punished  for whats not a big deal to the rest of them.

No, you are probably in Soi Cowboy!

Edited by jacko45k

My God don't say we finally have someone whom considers his own sexual antics now unacceptable ? I mean throughout Thai society from the top to the bottom it is full of male sleazeballs who think it is their divine right to put pressure on Thai females to fulfil their own "tiny heads desires".  

• Like 1

Is he guilty?

I find it always interesting and sad how many people are sure accused people are guilty.

With the information from the article obviously I don't know if he is innocent or guilty. And I guess most other people don't know.

Why not take the approach: We have to watch this guy and the police and make sure the case is not forgotten. Is there evidence? If yes, prosecute and possibly convict him.

And if there is no evidence then there is no evidence.

Why is it that many people are always sure about lots of things even if they have only little information?

some development.

"BREAKING: Police charged former Democrat Deputy Leader Prinn Panitchapakdi with rape and two counts of indecency Saturday morning. Three women have lodged complaints. Police will ask the prosecutor to seek court's temporary detention on Sunday."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/photos/a.848518215167112/5399423896743165

this guy has a long history:

"Trade chief son faces rape charge              

Prinn Panitchpakdi, 25, son of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation, appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday accused of raping a woman, 18, at his riverside flat in West London, and at another address in Westminster, and of the rape and false imprisonment of a woman, 27, in November last year.
His father is Supachai Panitchpakdi, 56, head of the Swiss-based trade watchdog and a former Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand.
The defendant, who runs a restaurant in the City of London, was granted bail with a condition of residence. A provisional trial date was set for September."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/news-in-brief-r09fv8cwx5r?fbclid=IwAR05YDSfFt60OQEvDfTPUfE8OvpNWTIVTprbGa1-8Dwpy35FWukuBXZEhus

On 4/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is he guilty?

Who implied that he was guilty?

On 4/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is it that many people are always sure about lots of things even if they have only little information?

Kind of answered your own question there didn't you?

I think we can all agree that he is innocent until he confesses, or is otherwise proven guilty.

The most surprising aspect of this is that it has made it into the public eye. The father/family is VERY prominent. In the days of olde this would have been swept under the rug. 

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

A very effective way to removing an opponent.

Sorry, for those of us not following at home, who is his "opponent"?

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Just strange that these cases appear just prior to an election.

Which cases do you find "strange"?

And when is this election you speak of?

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

this guy has a long history:

"Trade chief son faces rape charge              

Prinn Panitchpakdi, 25, son of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation, appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday accused of raping a woman, 18, at his riverside flat in West London, and at another address in Westminster, and of the rape and false imprisonment of a woman, 27, in November last year.
His father is Supachai Panitchpakdi, 56, head of the Swiss-based trade watchdog and a former Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand.
The defendant, who runs a restaurant in the City of London, was granted bail with a condition of residence. A provisional trial date was set for September."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/news-in-brief-r09fv8cwx5r?fbclid=IwAR05YDSfFt60OQEvDfTPUfE8OvpNWTIVTprbGa1-8Dwpy35FWukuBXZEhus

I can't find any info on the proposed trial date. I wonder if it went ahead or if the case collapsed for some reason?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Why should we give him the benefit of the doubt. If it was one woman id do that. But now there are so many its a pattern. 

We normally don't wait condemning but for some reason when crimes are sexual with a male perp or if a farang is in the picture we should hold back. I can't say for sure if he is guilty or not but the amount of complaints gives a good idea. 

Why is it that guys keep defending these things, worried they themselves will be next ?

I don't really get it looks like a lot of guys want to go back to the times before me2 and stuff like that when women kept quit and accepted it.

He is prominent and that brings a couple of "complications".

Let me say first that what I write here is independent of political party, gender, etc.

I am sure there are enough people who would like to see the accused in jail - or at least away from politics. And obviously some people will love it when this drags down his political party.

That part might already be motivation enough for some people to accuse him.

And then there is possible compensation. Why not join the money train and get a million for not going (too much) public?

MeToo showed us that if one person comes out with accusations then often others come out as well. How many of those prominent people who were accused were also prosecuted and convicted?

And when I write prosecuted and convicted I have a real court in mind and not facebook and twitter and all that.

Lots of men had their lives totally ruined by accusations. And once that life is ruined it is impossible to bring it back. 

Personally I think it's fair if the press publishes accusations. And if there is any evidence then please publish that as well. But if it is something like "he did this years ago and nobody saw it and I didn't mention it until now" then I think we should be careful to jump to conclusions.

If he is guilty and if there is evidence and if the public makes sure the investigation continues then there will be a conclusion at some stage. Why not wait a little longer before ruining someone's life?

And about why some men, including me, don't trust accusations from women: Over the years I knew a couple of guys who's life was made miserable by women. Just accusations about what they allegedly did to the women and/or children was enough for that. And when later the truth came out that the women were lying what happened? Not much. The guys lives were still ruined and there was little to no consequences for the women. Sad - and unfortunately it happens too often.

Obviously some accusations are true and they guys should go to jail. Let a judge decide!