The death of music

sipi

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Glen Campbell great musician and singer, though I have to say I hated that song Gentle on My Mind, the melody did nothing for me at all.

But the songs Jimmy Webb wrote for him were really classics. And he was a Beach Boy at one time!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The Hollies, The Fortunes, Marmalade, The Ivy League, Harmony Grass, there were so many great British harmony bands in the 60s.

Yes, but I also think that some of the American west coast groups from the sixties had great harmonies, the Association spring to mind here.

• Like 1

It's a bit tame in here. Does no one have any energy left? ????

Incidentally, some of the musicians I found through Thai reviewers; so Thais aren't just listening to the ridiculous 'music' that you might hear in the mainstream.

That fact that you don't hear music that you like today says a lot more about you than it does about today's music. 

There are tons of great music coming out every year, sure it's not popular, so you will not hear it unless you listen to new music. I listen to music ranging from the 17th century to 2022 releases and there is great inspiration and innovation to be found in it all. I have equal appreciation for Bach, Coltrane, Led Zeppelin, Jay-Z and Masego.

Different? Yes. Incomporable? Yes. Genius? Yes. 

Now, I kind of have it out for hip hop over the last ten years or so. There are some (very few) new artists who blow my mind but the majority of what I hear (and I do listen), I just can't vibe with. Which, again, says more about me than it does about their music. 

Edited by TonySn0
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hence the rise of stations that play only music from past decades. I listen to one that is restricted to the 50s, 60s and 70s.

On tv there was a channel dedicated to easy listening vdos, but I haven't watched it for a while.

I don't care what anyone plays for themselves, but unfortunately, the younger demographic that likes electronic garbage seems to be deaf, so they play it so loudly that it annoys people 100s of meters away. All part of the antisocial hooligan element of society as we descend into a new dark age.

I sometimes drink in the same pub as young people, and the bar staff play 80s music, which I did not ask for.   The pub seems busy enough.  Maybe the staff think “Maybe if we play 80s music, everyone will drink as much as Cowboy”. Or maybe “He’s been coming here these ten years past, and I like The Undertones.”

There is no doubt that talented people exist, and the technology is highly advanced since the music era. The problem is the money grubbing overlords who prefer to promote celebrities over talent. It is so much easier to cash in on an easily replaceable star, then to invest in a supergroup that writes their own music and is pushing the boundaries. The music industry wants niche characters with stereotypical style to fit the role and speak the narrative of that demographic. The next Floyd or Zeppelin might be out there, but they will never get a contract.

Rock went the way of The Big Bands. Nothing lasts forever. Time whittles everything away. When I was young, Lou Reed was important to me. Now, Lou Reed is Angry Sunglasses Leather Jacket-Man. If he's remembered at all. 

Rock came out of a demographic groundswell and a lot of postwar affluence at the same time. Recall, that England was still coming out of WWII rationing when the Beatles first came out. Imagine that outpouring of exuberance.

Neither of these pre-conditions will be occurring again any time soon and if they happen at all, it won't be in the west.

I worked in a nightclub in NYC in the 70's and that carried with it guest list privileges. One memorable week had me seeing The Cure, Tito Puente, and Wayne Newton, with only The Cure wanting $10 -no guest list for persnickety Robert Smith.

Even in London and New York, you can no longer be spoilt for choice for live acts to go out and see on a Tuesday night. Count yourself lucky to have been in a bar with a million smokers and no cell phone with everyone on the same vibe. It was great.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Rock went the way of The Big Bands. Nothing lasts forever. Time whittles everything away. When I was young, Lou Reed was important to me. Now, Lou Reed is Angry Sunglasses Leather Jacket-Man. If he's remembered at all. 

Rock came out of a demographic groundswell and a lot of postwar affluence at the same time. Recall, that England was still coming out of WWII rationing when the Beatles first came out. Imagine that outpouring of exuberance.

Neither of these pre-conditions will be occurring again any time soon and if they happen at all, it won't be in the west.

I worked in a nightclub in NYC in the 70's and that carried with it guest list privileges. One memorable week had me seeing The Cure, Tito Puente, and Wayne Newton, with only The Cure wanting $10 -no guest list for persnickety Robert Smith.

Even in London and New York, you can no longer be spoilt for choice for live acts to go out and see on a Tuesday night. Count yourself lucky to have been in a bar with a million smokers and no cell phone with everyone on the same vibe. It was great.

There are numerous live gigs every night in London and all over the U.K 

Only last night i watched Orchestra Wives. I think the film was made in the 40s. Glenn Miller and his orchestra.  It rocked . Proper big band sound.  ' I've got a gal in Kalamazoo ' etc. Last time I saw it was in 1966 and I wanted to see more as I was getting distracted bu a blonde in '66.

• Like 1

I tend to agree. I think there were 3 great music periods in our lifetimes. 

From around 1965 to the early 1970's. An explosion of amazing music, lyrics and social awareness. 

From the late 70s to the late 1980s. Incredible funk, old school hip hop, and great British music from bands ranging from Joy Division to Depeche Mode to the Cure (the ballads), Morrissey, Tears for Fears (the ballads), New Order, and so many more. 

Then Electronica from around 1996 to about 2003. Amazing creativity. DJ Shadow, Tosca, Faithless, Lamb, Red Snapper, DJ Krush, Coldcut, Zero 7, N.E.R.D., Yogi B and Natchatra, Boards of Canada, etc. Brilliant stuff. Amazing lyrics, progressive music and powerful, profound stuff. 

Since then? Not much. I have heard from contemporary Thai hip hop which is decent. But mostly dreadful hip hop, way too much lousy pop (K pop especially), boring and lifeless lyrics, and not much content. Even the jazz is marginal. Reflective of Gen Z? Who knows. Just not much there. 

Edited by spidermike007

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And obviously that wouldn't have happened 40 years ago...

Yes, but they couldn't annoy people in their daily lives because the small but very loud speakers hadn't been invented yet. Now any moron can annoy people half a kilometer away with cheap super loud speakers that don't require massive power components to do so.

15 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You are sooooooo wrong. You are just stuck in a small space and see only that which is around you.

There is so much good music and great musicians out there that you will not ever hear; because you are the one not searching. You hear mainstream pop and act as if it represents to what everyone is listening.

Are you waiting for it to be played on the radio or in a nightclub?

Indeed that's how most of us ( I suppose), of the older age group heard music we liked for the first time- on the radio. If we liked it we went to the record store and bought the 45 and if we liked that we bought the LP.

Some of us actually have lives that don't involve spending hours on google to find stuff we like. Some of us actually have more important things to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

way too much lousy pop (K pop especially),

Isn't K pop, J pop etc all about the girls dancing on VDO? I think the music is just an excuse to get visuals of cute girls in very short dresses doing routines.

I believe it started in Japan for computer nerds that had loads of money but couldn't get a girlfriend and was on a small scale with the guys in the same room as the girls.

I saw it on a tv show about Japanese culture way back in the mid 90s. There was even a special name for the nerds, Otaku.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

There is no doubt that talented people exist, and the technology is highly advanced since the music era. The problem is the money grubbing overlords who prefer to promote celebrities over talent. It is so much easier to cash in on an easily replaceable star, then to invest in a supergroup that writes their own music and is pushing the boundaries. The music industry wants niche characters with stereotypical style to fit the role and speak the narrative of that demographic. The next Floyd or Zeppelin might be out there, but they will never get a contract.

Like everything today, it's all about money. The days of musicians like Ray Stevens with "Gidget the midget" and "Gitarzan" will not be seen again IMO, as just don't make enough money.

I like the VDOs on U Tube from the 50s and 60s when uncool and sometimes unattractive people stood still and sang great songs in black and white.

Seems to me the music industry sold it's soul and got a lemon in return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are numerous live gigs every night in London and all over the U.K 

Not a patch on what is was. NME doesn't even publish a hard copy of their magazine anymore. 

England is a great place to see a show if a tribute band is a show to you.

I recall a Phillipino guy above FoodLand on Soi 7 who would be Elvis and Tom Jones on alternate nights.

33 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Not a patch on what is was. NME doesn't even publish a hard copy of their magazine anymore. 

England is a great place to see a show if a tribute band is a show to you.

I recall a Phillipino guy above FoodLand on Soi 7 who would be Elvis and Tom Jones on alternate nights.

You can understand why the NME doesn't publish a paper copy these days .

Newspapers are rather outdated , live music is also rather outdated , saying that , there are live venues all over the UK where original bands play 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, but they couldn't annoy people in their daily lives because the small but very loud speakers hadn't been invented yet. Now any moron can annoy people half a kilometer away with cheap super loud speakers that don't require massive power components to do so.

I am not sure sure about that. When I was a teenager everybody loved big speakers and big ghetto blasters. Now it seems more people use headphones and/or little Bluetooth speakers.

zQBZFTrQdLekxtI0zu0dfB3rl9e0n3OUwJf4VoAt

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I can just imagine you walking through the Bronx one night , and a 6 foot 7 Black guy steps out the shadows and says "Hey Transam, have you heard this latest Rap  song  by J.Z and the crew , its really good, give it a listen *

My wife used to live in the South Bronx in the mid-80's.   When I went to visit, the Black guys just said "What YOU doin' here, white boooy?"

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:12 AM, Salerno said:

Every now and then I try and find a certain episode on YouTube but to no avail. I'm 99.9% certain Pans People where braless with see through tops ... or it might have just been the vivid imagination of a horny 12 year old ????

Ah, that's why they were one of Alan Partridge's favorite bands!   Along with Abba and Wings (after the Beatles were his backup band).