Couple return home after Songkran trip to discover 10 million baht robbery from safe

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A married couple in Bangkok have gone to the Huay Khwang police after a ten million baht burglary at their home.

Juthasit was following up with the police yesterday after arriving back in Bangkok with his wife Wannida following a Songkran trip to Chonburi.

A safe had been dragged into their second floor bedroom at a house in Soi Ratchadaniwet 9 and been forced open via the back.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

9cabf3781b5184622a6a2dea7f38c9334f5a4229b9a4bb78e42ba7fbb43c4540.jpg

The safe contained 60 baht weight in gold jewelry, 90 baht weight in gold bars, 4.5 million baht in diamond jewelry and three Rolex watches and a Tag Heuer watch.

It all came to 10.35 million baht, reported Siam Rath

The owner said that the only people who knew where the safe was were

the people who installed it. Even relatives did not know of its existence.

In addition valuable items downstairs at the house were not touched. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

689a14c596f4607d2d3eb3d379cc658b1d48a20cee2a21e31e52d36bc9099f79.jpg

7dbf342ece58b0aacb2149939cff387148d8f5f94a2e90082869e7ddc3af63ca.jpg

• Haha 1

They say a fool and their money will soon be separated.  Why in their right mind would keep a small fortune inside their home.  Have they never heard of a safe deposit box, or buying gold bullion from investment companies that store the gold for you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, vinci said:

I bought a small safe, dig the hole by myself to put the safe in, wife ask why didn't you hire somebody to do it, told her what's the point of hiring somebody when you have a safe, until this day she's still confuse ????

Tell her not to tell her brother about.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Well how about they did have insurance and the robbery was "arranged" . The insurance pay out and the "thieves" fence it for 25% of the value splitting it 50/50 with the owners ?

Insurance rarely pay for such goods unless they were separately and individually valued and insured and the premium would be hefty too and they were satisfied with the steps take to secure said items...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Moral? If you have a safe make sure no one else knows. 

My money is on the maid or the AC service guys?

no, the moral is to buy a safety box only to distract the thieves, put some less valuable items there to satisfy them, and store the real values in a metal or plastic box hidden in a wall or anywhere else.

Edited by falang07
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

"The owner said that the only people who knew where the safe was were

the people who installed it. Even relatives did not know of its existence."

Another tip—never let anyone else to install it, and never have it ordered/delivered it to your address. Buy anonymously and deliver it yourself. 

25 minutes ago, falang07 said:

no, the moral is to buy a safety box only to distract the thieves, put some less valuable items there to satisfy them, and store the real values in a metal or plastic box hidden in a wall or anywhere else.

That's exactly what I did when I had some cash. Only a few hundred and documents in the safe as a distraction and the larger amount hidden safely elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Insurance rarely pay for such goods unless they were separately and individually valued and insured and the premium would be hefty too and they were satisfied with the steps take to secure said items...

All my articles are individually listed so that is not unusual and perfectly normal procedure for high value items.  However that is irrelevant to what I am suggesting as a possibility.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Should not be too difficult for plod to sort this one.

Don't be too sure on that.  I provided them with clear photos and videos from my IP Camera following a break in.  I'd bet a pound to a penny that the burglar was a 'professional' with his details on the police database - not a peep out of them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

OMG, 10 million baht gone and by looking at the picture the robbers took their bed sheets as well.

His shirts for his back, were still pressed and in the wardrobe -  so not all lost ???? 

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

These people have obviously never heard of safety deposit boxes at their local bank.

It's not so easy to get this.

Some years I try to get from my SCB bank, but no way

later I went to Hong Kong, and have there a safe but.....unreachable for more than 2 years, and maybe even this year impossible.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

These people have obviously never heard of safety deposit boxes at their local bank.

My thoughts exactly.......why on  earth would you risk keeping all that at a domestic property?......Even if it were 'hot' the bank wouldn't ask questions or care.

• Like 1