Visa exempt by flight after years in Thailand

Hi, I was married and stay in Thailand for years, I left Thailand middle of March and I would like to go there in July for 3 weeks vacation.

Could I be denied entry to Thailand because I stayed there long time before?

What are the requirement for the visa exempt? do I need to show proof of income or to have a minimum in bank? what about the insurance, can I take one just before to leave?

It's mostly the people who have been here for years on COVID extensions, ED/Volunteer visas that have a higher chance of being denied after only being away for a few weeks or months and returning on only an exempt. If you were here on a by the book marriage extension, very little chance that they will hassle you. 

22 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

It's mostly the people who have been here for years on COVID extensions, ED/Volunteer visas that have a higher chance of being denied after only being away for a few weeks or months and returning on only an exempt. If you were here on a by the book marriage extension, very little chance that they will hassle you. 

Not sur who to believe you or Ubonjoe. Would be interesting to see if there is reports of people being denied entry on visa exempt

• Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

Not sur who to believe you or Ubonjoe. Would be interesting to see if there is reports of people being denied entry on visa exempt

There have ben reports of people being denied a visa exempt entry after being here for a long time and only leaving for a short period of time after being here on the amnesty and 60 day covid 19 extension.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

So there is a risk I get denied. I stayed on covid extension for 2 years and want to come back after 4 months away for 3 weeks

No

Those denied a visa exempt entry only left the country for a few days and entered visa exempt to stay here longer.

You will be away for several months when you return and apparently did not make short trip to a nearby country just to enter with a new entry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

So there is a risk I get denied. I stayed on covid extension for 2 years and want to come back after 4 months away for 3 weeks

Can't see why you would be denied entry visa exempt given 4 months out. 

If your planned trip had been for say 5 weeks+ then tourist visa would be best option. 

For 3 week visit and return ticket in place you won't have an issue. 

34 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

You didn't initially say that you staid on Covid extensions. That increases your risk of getting scrutinized, compared with someone who staid on 1-year marriage extensions. What works in your favor is that you will have been away for 4 months. I think you'll be fine, assuming that you'll have a return ticket. 

• Thanks 1

I lived here on Retirement extensions for 15 years. Left for UK to set-up UK home. Returned on visa exempt after two months to sell property got 30 day stay. Along came Covid restrictions and our return flight cancelled. Applied, and was given 30 day Covid extension. Managed to rebook and departed to UK just before the extension expired. Two years later, entered Thailand on 'Test and Go' last Monday 19 APR 22. Smiling and efficient  IO at SUW stamped me in with 30 stay Visa exempt. No request for return ticket, funds or insurance  only PP and Thai Pass with QR Code. In fact, because the Thai Pass is issued only after the applicant has presented evidence of ticket, insurance, vaccination and accommodation it has everything the airline check in, arrival an Immigration require.

insurance or funds just PP and Thailand Pass with QR Code.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

There have ben reports of people being denied a visa exempt entry after being here for a long time and only leaving for a short period of time after being here on the amnesty and 60 day covid 19 extension.

One reason I am converting now to retirement extension.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lolothai said:

a friend of mine told me that we need to show 3 months of salary income (wage slip), is that true?

You don't need to show bank statements for visa exemption. This is when you get a "visa exemption stamp" when entering without a visa. You might be asked to show 20K or equivalent in cash, but not bank statements.

Single or Multi-Entry Tourist visa, obtained at an embassy, you probably have to show bank statements, with X amount of funds for your duration of travels.

If you have spent a lot of time recently in Thailand, immigration officials may scrutinise you closely as a "normal tourist" before granting entry without a visa. As part of that process, they can ask for all kinds of things (or nothing). It is up to the official. Wage slips and bank statements are not direct evidence that you are a tourist, but they might help in establishing that you are not working illegally in Thailand, having adequate income outside the country. If you have reason to believe you might be targeted, ensure you have 20,000 baht equivalent in Thai or a major currency. Also, have a good explanation as to why entering visa exempt is appropriate (i.e. you are a short term tourist) and do not consider an actual visa appropriate given your plans for the next month or so.

plan changed, I will go back middle of May so after 2 months only with my 2 daughters, I took a round trip for me of 30 days and one way trip for my daughters as they are Thai. I will say I bring them back to my wife, and I will visit her. Actually we are still married but separated and my daughter will stay with me, I got a job and my ex wife is ok to help me to get a marriage visa with 400k in bank.

Could I get any problem at the immigration and should I change my story?

Edited by Lolothai

1 hour ago, Lolothai said:

plan changed, I will go back middle of May so after 2 months only with my 2 daughters, I took a round trip for me of 30 days and one way trip for my daughters as they are Thai. I will say I bring them back to my wife, and I will visit her. Actually we are still married but separated and my daughter will stay with me, I got a job and my ex wife is ok to help me to get a marriage visa with 400k in bank.

Could I get any problem at the immigration and should I change my story?

Be reasonably well groomed, and I would be amazed if you ran into any major issue. You have a plausible narrative, and even the worst official would find it hard to justify leaving your daughters abandoned at the airport, as Immigration insist the airline removes their father from Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Be reasonably well groomed, and I would be amazed if you ran into any major issue. You have a plausible narrative, and even the worst official would find it hard to justify leaving your daughters abandoned at the airport, as Immigration insist the airline removes their father from Thailand.

Thank you, that's reassuring