Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I attended a couple of sustainability energy shows during my house build. They were less Business-to-Consumer (B2C) and more Business-to-Business (B2B) lots of Chinese manufacturers looking to sell solar panel racking etc.

• Thanks 1

EV cars are most likely to make a good impression on how the country  willingness to reduce pollution.

The battery are very fragile per say and what about the temperature doesn't cause a concern for fire ??????

I have seen EV cars on fire on main highway in North America and there is no miracles when it start to burn nothing could be done other to contain the fire from spreading and let it burn to the ground.

Using water on the battery re activate fire.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

EV batteries are not fragile - that are actually quite robust. Among other safety features, there's the fact that:

Myth # 7 - Batteries are dangerous and can explode in an accident or during charging

Overall, EV's are less likely to cause fires than other types of cars 

As the article below says it's a little difficult to get statistics at least in the US, because the official figures do not differentiate between vehicle types in fires. But statistics from Tesla show that their cars had:

Are EVs more likely to catch fire than gas-powered cars?

"Those data are a bit hard to come by. The National Fire Protection association keeps track of total car fires, about 200,000 a year, but it does not at this time differentiate by gas, electric, or hybrid. 

We can do some reasonable extrapolation..." 

49 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

"Those data are a bit hard to come by. The National Fire Protection association keeps track of total car fires, about 200,000 a year, but it does not at this time differentiate by gas, electric, or hybrid. 

We can do some reasonable extrapolation..." 

The insurance site Auto Insurance EZ compiled sales and accident data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the National Transportation Safety Board. The site found that hybrid vehicles had the most fires per 100,000 sales at 3474.5. There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.

Source Gas Vs Electric Accident and Fire Safety | NextBigFuture.com

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The insurance site Auto Insurance EZ compiled sales and accident data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the National Transportation Safety Board. The site found that hybrid vehicles had the most fires per 100,000 sales at 3474.5. There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.

Source Gas Vs Electric Accident and Fire Safety | NextBigFuture.com

I do not doubt it. 

On 6/30/2023 at 1:49 AM, Sophon said:

According to Plugshare 6.5 baht/kWh:...

Thank you, Sophon. I shall install Plugshare, and some other apps KhunLA kindly mentioned, to be prepared when I will buy an electric car in Thailand (probably the Tesla X, if it comes in  a right-hand drive version)

Edited by Puccini
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

AION Goes Global With Thailand Overseas Debut

https://www.thaipr.net/en/auto_en/3352676

AION, the Chinese electric vehicle (EV) giant, has signed its first memorandum of understanding for business cooperation with Gold Integrate, its first overseas distributor.

IMG_1006.jpeg.75ad13cb8825148df0ed05b2b1cf84b7.jpeg

“Thailand is the largest automobile manufacturer and exporter in Southeast Asia. It is also the region’s largest electric vehicle market, with the EV industry supported by positive government policies such as tax and fee reductions, consumer cash subsidies, and investment support. All of these factors make Thailand an attractive location for investment and HQ”

Not too much to get excited about over this model imo, nothing stands out for me.

The front light cluster looks OTT, more suited to the bigger front end cars like Haval.

The excessive wheel arch trim adds nothing either, in fact detracts for the aesthetics imho. The space age lighting and olde worlde trim seems very contradictory, but that might be just my viewpoint.

A roomy and light interior but perhaps at the expense of rear loading space though.

But , competition is healthy to keep prices down and if the proposed 610 km range combined with a competitive price tag comes to fruition then maybe AION will find some success here.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Neta V with the top spot for registered EV’s in Thailand for the month of June .

Could the announcement of a price increase for Neta’s cheap and cheerful have helped ? ……… just sayin’

IMG_0918.thumb.jpeg.9ab95141f34672470dedfcc46ffaac29.jpeg

How much are they raising the price by? I expect sales will fall off a cliff after...

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Seen a few on the roads.  Look way over priced already ????

IMG_1275.jpeg.d3cd0d787ffd8e899c9cadecce97441c.jpeg

฿549,000 for a full EV with free wall charger with installation. 

cheaper to fuel and service 

looks like a bargain to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

฿549,000...looks like a bargain to me. 

Definitely, and I'd take that over any ICE at that price point, if you can find any that inexpensive.

Low cost to operate & maintain, all and added plus, adding to the value.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, matchar said:

How much are they raising the price by? I expect sales will fall off a cliff after...

The only price rise our local dealer is talking about is an end to the Govt subsidies for ev's at the end of the year.

• Like 1

Just now, edwinchester said:

The only price rise our local dealer is talking about is an end to the Govt subsidies for ev's at the end of the year.

Given how much a better value EVs are and how only really stupid people still buy ICE cars, the subsidies have done what they need to do and it's time for them to end. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

A little (false) pressure sales, as I believe the incentives was a set amount, yet to be used up, or even close to, and I believe don't expire till 2025.

image.png.8afbb27d93779b5729ab414554dd9a6b.png

source

• Like 1