Electric Vehicles in Thailand

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The CCP voice monitoring and cabin video recording should already be active just in case you criticize Beijing. Some Chinese cars just return a smile face 😀 if you say the word China.

How is the Fortuner taking the new family member, still feeling loved ❤️?

Fortuner coping just fine.  In fact it did our groceries run today....and got rained on.  Now waiting for the rain to stop so I can dry it off and put the tarp back on so it can hibernate for a week or so.  I plan to drive it about once a week to keep the battery fully charged, circulated the fluids, etc. 😜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

All MG EV's, Standard Range Ora Good Cat (not 500 version), base Tesla Model 3, all BYD cars in Thailand

LFP has another advantage, it has twice the charge cycles of NMC, it also safer especially in hot climates.

You will often find "Performance" versions of EV's use NMC because it has a higher energy density, but NMC is not ideal.

Could contain:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

On second thoughts don't bother you can't buy any of these cars in Thailand.

So pretty pointless posting it in the electric vehicles in Thailand discussion

Agree.   Also priced in countries where labor cost much more than TH.

Chances appear to be pretty slim, when it comes to the need to replace, the whole battery pack vs just a module of 2.   Too lazy to source TH sold EVs.  Choose wisely when buying.

"In the charts below, we show the number of owner-reported battery replacements in the Recurrent community of around 15,000 drivers":

641899569e395e3c4da5749b_Battery Replacements by Model - V3.webp

source

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Batteries don't last in Thai weather. If you get a proper warranty for life of vehicle,  go for it. But doubt the contract will be that simple.

Buy an evaporator cooler in Thailand along with your EV. See how well they both do.

Not sure why they sell the evap cooler in Big C when they don't work in humid weather. Same. Don't know why they have Battery EV when they know they won't work in 5 to 8 years.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

On second thoughts don't bother you can't buy any of these cars in Thailand.

So pretty pointless posting it in the electric vehicles in Thailand discussion

another point to consider is how the price will decrease in a few years.

i believe it will become much cheaper (ev battery warranty is typically 8 years).

Edited by motdaeng

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could contain:

Interesting.   Before seeing this I would have thought batteries would have been a larger percentage of an BEV cost. Seems to average around 21%. And I expect this percentages to drop significantly as more EVs are sold.   I expect some of the wild variations in percentage depends on how much of the battery electronics are enclosed within the overall battery pack or external to the battery pack....such as is the battery rectifier inboard to the battery assembly or external in the front drive motor area.  Varies among BEVs as to where it's located.

As mentioned, I expect battery costs to continue to drop significantly.   Below 2017 study showed BEV battery costs averaged around 35 to 50% of total vehicle cost.   Now around 6 years later it seems to be more like 21%.   In 6 more years will it be down around 10%?...have to wait and see I guess.

image.png.be1905b0b54fbfcc4ac25ba3fc52613c.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You know this as a fact based on a peer reviewed published study that you will now post links to, that EV batteries in Thailand last only 5 years.

@TimeMachine

Looking forward to reading it.

5 to 8, depending on owner usage habits and location.

Results posted after a bigger sample has been reviewed. Stay tuned.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, steve187 said:

what cars sold in Thailand are using LFP batteries, and are any EV cars built or planned to be built in Thailand

Not ignoring you - I think others have answered that point.

I still have my concerns on other matters (covered in a deleted post) but from what I've read about LFP batteries, provided they are mined responsibly, they seem to overcome the problems associated with other types.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I’m keen to know more about Mr @TimeMachine  and his theory. 

He clearly doesn’t own an EV himself because he said

Not the words of a man who bought an EV.

So his theory is not based on primary research, unless of course he has a friend who has an EV.

But surely if this man was his friend he would have reasoned with him against buying an EV.

No I think the friend theory is a bust. 

Maybe it’s something to do with the “evap cooler in Big C” which he seems to despise just as much as EV batteries.

Maybe there was a traumatic experience with the evap cooler from Big C which has led to an irrational mistrust of all technology 

Hoping Mr @TimeMachine replies with further insights 

Absolutely, the theory behind people wanting to sell you something to make money and not because it's good for you or the planet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bandersnatch said:

This is a call out to all EV owners in Thailand please look at the graph below and consider the battery degradation your EV has suffered so far and please post a reply stating which line most closely represents the battery degradation you have suffered.

I will go first. 

My oldest EV is now 2.5 years old and has suffered less than 2% battery degradation so better than the grey warranty line.

We now have one piece of real data for Thailand EVs

Anybody else?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1