Electric Vehicles in Thailand

17 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

More electric options coming to the Thai market.  Likely to be an interesting motor show this year, with a few new models being unveiled...

Screenshot_20231129-103630~2.png

I wonder what the battery chemistry is?

350Kw charging hints at NMC technology

I do feel it's overpriced, maybe they aren't going to make them here? and perhaps Korean EV's pay more import duty than China?

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

More electric options coming to the Thai market.  Likely to be an interesting motor show this year, with a few new models being unveiled...

Screenshot_20231129-103630~2.png

I like the Ioniq 5 - it's a cool looking car. But that is expensive for the spec!

Wonder if we'll get the 641 bhp Ioniq N............with fake gear changes and noises (the reviewer actually likes them)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'll check again over the next week or so to confirm it draws a high number of amps right up to the very end but I think it does...but I'll check again. 

The reason I say it does draws full power of my 7KWH wall charger up to the very end (i..e, 100% charge, charging cut off) is because when the wall charger is pumping out approx 225V/30A/6.85KWH the Atto displays approx a 6.2 to 6.3KWH right up to the very end of charging (i.e., 100% SOC/charge cut off)....I've seen this numerous time which checking the power draw of the Atto when it was reporting at least 99%.  OK, OK, what about between 99% to 100%.  Well, one time I just set in the car to watch it go from 99% to 100%/charge cut off and it was displaying 6.3KWH and just for approx 5 seconds before going to 100%/charge cut off the Atto jumped up to a 6.4KWH charge rate---then the charge was complete/cut off and the display no longer displays any charging rate and when looking at the wall charger it's charging light has went off as charging has stopped/completed.  

I also installed a AC watt/volt/amp meter on the input to my wall charger which allows to see how much power the wall charger it using/pumping into the Atto.  This has allowed me to determine charging efficiency of the Atto battery is 91%....this done by comparing what the wattmeter says it sending to the Atto and then what the Atto displays as the charging rate.  The missing 9% is charging losses from the Onboard Rectifier/Charger and other electronics, fans, etc., the car uses during charging.  I've checked this charging efficiency around a half dozen times and it varies from 90% to 92% which average out to 91%.

Below is a snapshot of my wattmeter while charging...when 6.85KWH is showing on the meter the Atto is displaying 6.2-6.3KWH.    When the Atto displays 6.2KWH with the wattmeter showing 6.85KWH that calculates out to a 90.5% charging efficiency....when the Atto displays 6.3KWH with the wattmeter displaying 6.85KWH that calculates out to 92% charging efficiency.  Since the Atto only displays KWH to one decimal point while the wattmeter displays to 2 decimal points that causes some minor variations in how the calculations work out.  And when the vehicle charging is completed/stopped the wattmeter shows less than 2 watts being used by the wall charger to keep it's own electronics/lights working.  Bottom line the charging efficiency is approx 91% which is pretty good.

Wattmeter while Atto is charging....bought off Lazada for a couple hundred baht.

image.png.7eb4e6aea80b15c4315a590354918a0e.png  

I suspect it's passive charging, but unlike MG which balances when the battery hits 100% SoC the BYD starts balancing at 8x% or 9x% the recommendation of charging to 100% once a week hints at passive balancing.

It would be good to know.

Incidentally, I fitted 2 of those watt meters in 2 houses we built, one of them still works, the other flashes on and off.  That's after 6 years, they are the DC type sourced on AliExpress.  I wired all the lighting circuits up for 24v DC, even table lights which used XLR wall sockets.  In the event of a powercut a contactor trips over to batteries.  One of those houses was sold, the other I rent out and it has 4 of 12v Lithium motorbike batteries (built in BMS) which will power the lights for a few hours.

39 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.bff6b21a9f14492afd1667239409b750.jpeg

Think this might have been previously called the Ora Grand Cat, also possibly known as the Ora Lightning Cat

It's clearly styled after the Porsche Panamera Mk1.  Generally I like it, but the problem is Porsche have marched on with that design and rear end in particular looks dated and bulbous.

However, if there wasn't a BYD Seal, it would be on my list to investigate.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I wonder what the battery chemistry is?

350Kw charging hints at NMC technology

I do feel it's overpriced, maybe they aren't going to make them here? and perhaps Korean EV's pay more import duty than China?

I'm guessing there are no 350kW public chargers in Thailand? That would solve the problem of condo living with no charging at home.

1 minute ago, matchar said:

I'm guessing there are no 350kW public chargers in Thailand? That would solve the problem of condo living with no charging at home.

I think Porsche are fitting a few 350Kw chargers, I believe the target is 8 in total, they should work with any car.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Melpomene said:

image.png.4e5c282c05ec447278254433d4175f05.png

And if I've got this right it's a 100k rebate on the Atto 3 ?

Seal Dynamic also now comes with two years free insurance.

Yea...it sure does says a Bt100K rebate/cash back.  I expect there is some fine print.  

The AutoLifeThailand article below has a line ( I marked with an arrow) saying that translates to: "There is a limited number of cars."   I don't know if this is just typical sales talk to pressure a quick buy decision OR maybe they are indeed only offering some many which they are keeping close hold regarding how many....OR maybe only in a certain color.....OR maybe only showroom models....OR maybe who knows what the fine print may say until going to a dealership and asking for all the details.  

https://autolifethailand.tv/cash-back-100000-byd-atto-3-ev-rever-thailand/  

image.png.87b2b8b32ecc7f85a1266ee5f39a6f66.png

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Update: in mid November when my BYD sales girl and her fellow sales girl took the wife and I to the Dept of Land Transport (DLT) in the Chatuchak area of Bangkok so the DLT could see/toouch my passport (a copy was not good enough) we asked our sales girl again about cost of a extra/replacement NFC card and this time after a brief discussion with her fellow sales girl the answer was it "use" to be approx Bt9,000  a couple of years ago, but it's much lower price now.   My sales girl who previously quoted approx Bt10,000 was going off what it use to cost approx 2 years ago and no one she had dealt with/sold cars to had ever actually requested one through her so that's why she initially gave that high quote.  But her fellow sales girl said the price is much lower now and will check the current price once we finish at DLT and go back to the dealership.  My sales girl then apologized to the wife and I about the earlier inaccurate price she quoted and she would confirm the "current" cost once we get back to the dealership.

Once back at the dealership and checking with the Service Dept the  estimated cost was Bt900 and a person needed to make a service appt to get the NFC card as they actually hook devices up to the car while making the second card, coding the card to the car, etc.   OK, I made an appt for 30 Nov.  

This morning went in for the appt.  They take the car into the service bay. About 20 minutes later they come ask for the original card...I give it to them...it's taken to the service bay where my car is.  Maybe they just duplicated the original card and then updated the car computer to also work with the 2nd card being made...or maybe they just wanted to ensure the original card still worked.  After about a total of 30 minutes the process is complete....I'm done...out the door....I now have a 2nd NFC card which I confirmed worked before leaving.

The actual cost was:

Labor: Bt650

The NFC card: Bt190

Tax: Bt58.80

Total: Bt898.80.

Summary: a second/extra NFC costs approx Bt900.

Maybe you can try starting the car with card 1 and setting a seat memory for driver 1, then doing the same with the other card for driver 2 and see if it remembers?

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Maybe you can try starting the car with card 1 and setting a seat memory for driver 1, then doing the same with the other card for driver 2 and see if it remembers?

I have an Atto and it don't have any of that seat memory stuff that I'm aware of and like the Seal has.

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

I have an Atto and it don't have any of that seat memory stuff that I'm aware of and like the Seal has.

Same with our MG ZS, and by choice. Although for mere 70k baht more, could have gotten a lot more 'electronics' (inc seat adjustment), and a sunroof.   Didn't want, or needed any of those, along with, most complaints of new auto owners, are the accessories, and seem to be the issues when having.   

Sure as hell didn't want a sunroof in the tropics, as see nothing positive about that, and quite the opposite.

Everyone seems to have the drivetrains down to a science, EVs (CH) & ICEVs (JP).  No real worries there.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here it says buy the car between Nov 29 - Dec 31 and then pick up the car before Dec 31 …… gotta get your skates on if you’re interested in this.

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.62f1f74d0a592be43b161b8ae62d6af2.jpeg

When I was at my Bangkok dealership this morning getting a NFC card made, I asked two different sales reps in the dealership about above promotion....talked to the two reps about 15 minutes apart. 

They both said since I picked up my car on 25 Oct although the DLT registration process is still not complete/I haven't gotten my white tags yet I could not get the Bt100K rebate.  It's all referenced to when you took possession of the vehicle.   Oh well, that was the answer I was expecting but still had to ask.

And the part about a "Limited Number of Cars Available" will vary from dealership to dealership.  At my dealership the reps said they had 12 white Atto's and 20 grey Atto's for a total of 32 cars that were eligible for a Bt100K rebate.  If you wanted say a red, green, or blue Atto at their dealership with the rebate you were just out of luck.   

Now when I think about it after leaving the dealership maybe another dealership may have red/green/blue Atto's eligible for the rebate OR maybe it will be limited to white and grey Atto's at all dealerships if BYD is overstocked  with those colors.  A person just needs to stop at a dealership and ask. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

When I was at my Bangkok dealership this morning getting a NFC card made, I asked two different sales reps in the dealership about above promotion....talked to the two reps about 15 minutes apart. 

They both said since I picked up my car on 25 Oct although the DLT registration process is still not complete/I haven't gotten my white tags yet I could not get the Bt100K rebate.  It's all referenced to when you took possession of the vehicle.   Oh well, that was the answer I was expecting but still had to ask.

And the part about a "Limited Number of Cars Available" will vary from dealership to dealership.  At my dealership the reps said they had 12 white Atto's and 20 grey Atto's for a total of 32 cars that were eligible for a Bt100K rebate.  If you wanted say a red, green, or blue Atto at their dealership with the rebate you were just out of luck.   

Now when I think about it after leaving the dealership maybe another dealership may have red/green/blue Atto's eligible for the rebate OR maybe it will be limited to white and grey Atto's at all dealerships if BYD is overstocked  with those colors.  A person just needs to stop at a dealership and ask. 

Do not despair @Pib you are not the only one who has narrowly missed out.

After buying a Seal Premium today i spot this :

IMG_1988.jpeg.4e03a285be964ec9cda84f0ece723fe6.jpeg

Missed a second year of insurance by the skin of my teeth !!

5 minutes ago, leclec said:

So glad i did not commit for the Volvo EX30! so many new EVs available next year. Ioniq 5 interest me the most.

Yeap....new EV models/bigger batteries, price reductions, promotions, etc., are popping up very frequently especially from the Chinese manufacturers.   But at some point you just have to grab one of those pop-ups fully knowing a future promotion "might" (probably) offer a better deal. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Do not despair @Pib you are not the only one who has narrowly missed out.

After buying a Seal Premium today i spot this :

IMG_1988.jpeg.4e03a285be964ec9cda84f0ece723fe6.jpeg

Missed a second year of insurance by the skin of my teeth !!

As I understand it the 2 year insurance promotion is only for the Seal Dynamic, the Premium doesn't qualify. I could be wrong though...

55 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

As I understand it the 2 year insurance promotion is only for the Seal Dynamic, the Premium doesn't qualify. I could be wrong though...

Yes, i didn’t really miss out i just bought a different model, but as Atto, Dolphin and now Seal Dynamic have all got some freebies maybe my turn will come ?

I do qualify for the chance to win a Dolphin Standard in the 19,999 giveaway though 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems to me the Chinese EV companies are going full throttle to establish market dominance / build customer base as quickly as they can. I'd go so far as to say this is an unprecedented level of disruption in the Thai auto market. Good news for prospective buyers. Maybe not so good for existing owners who'll see their purchases undercut both on price and spec ... although I'd say that's inevitable anyway with EVs, thanks mainly to battery/charging technology advances.

Is there a 'Moore's Law' equivalent for EV batteries?

20 hours ago, Pib said:

Update: in mid November when my BYD sales girl and her fellow sales girl took the wife and I to the Dept of Land Transport (DLT) in the Chatuchak area of Bangkok so the DLT could see/toouch my passport (a copy was not good enough) we asked our sales girl again about cost of a extra/replacement NFC card and this time after a brief discussion with her fellow sales girl the answer was it "use" to be approx Bt9,000  a couple of years ago, but it's much lower price now.   My sales girl who previously quoted approx Bt10,000 was going off what it use to cost approx 2 years ago and no one she had dealt with/sold cars to had ever actually requested one through her so that's why she initially gave that high quote.  But her fellow sales girl said the price is much lower now and will check the current price once we finish at DLT and go back to the dealership.  My sales girl then apologized to the wife and I about the earlier inaccurate price she quoted and she would confirm the "current" cost once we get back to the dealership.

Once back at the dealership and checking with the Service Dept the  estimated cost was Bt900 and a person needed to make a service appt to get the NFC card as they actually hook devices up to the car while making the second card, coding the card to the car, etc.   OK, I made an appt for 30 Nov.  

This morning went in for the appt.  They take the car into the service bay. About 20 minutes later they come ask for the original card...I give it to them...it's taken to the service bay where my car is.  Maybe they just duplicated the original card and then updated the car computer to also work with the 2nd card being made...or maybe they just wanted to ensure the original card still worked.  After about a total of 30 minutes the process is complete....I'm done...out the door....I now have a 2nd NFC card which I confirmed worked before leaving.

The actual cost was:

Labor: Bt650

The NFC card: Bt190

Tax: Bt58.80

Total: Bt898.80.

Summary: a second/extra NFC costs approx Bt900.

When and how do you envisage using the NFC card? I can’t think of a situation whereby it’s more convenient and practical than the actual car keys  themselves.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

When and how do you envisage using the NFC card? I can’t think of a situation whereby it’s more convenient and practical than the actual car keys  themselves.

If you always carry a wallet, as I do, I think keeping an NFC card with your credit cards is a much neater solution than also having to carry a key.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1