Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Must be fake news.

Many of our good friends in this place have told us that ev just don’t work, let alone when it’s chilly…

🤦🏼‍♂️

Do you think they let them sit outside the week before the testing? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Potential EV newbie here:

• Is having an at-home charger essential?
  • How much does at-home charging add to the domestic electricity bill?
  • Are there numerous charging points all over Thailand?
  • How much does it cost to charge at a public charging point?
  • For a budget customer, is BYD the way to go?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

- Not essential but very desirable.  Makes charging your EV as easy as charging your smartphone at home.

- Depends on how much EV charging you need to do....and how much you need to charge depends on how much you drive the EV....it's not like it's a set amount charged each month.  If you have your residence PEA/MEA electric service in your own name vs paying some inflated landlord electricity price, you will be paying approx 5 baht (actually a little less) for each additional KWH you use to charge your EV.   Now I know that still probably does not mean much to you because you also need to know how many kilometers your EV gets per 1KWH used.   But I'm here to tell you it's a lot less than what you will be paying for fossil fuel per kilometer driven. Like in my case I have a 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0L Diesel which gets 10.4Km/liter and a BYD Atto 3.  For the same kilometers driven the Atto is 77% cheaper fuel cost wise to drive than the Fortuner.  See partial snapshot at bottom from a personal spreadsheet I have comparing fuel costs between my ICEV an EV.  Now if you don't have a wall charger and must use a commercial charge you will be paying in the Bt5.5 to Bt9.5/KWH ballpark....still cheaper than fossil fuel...plus, you need to spend time at the charger.

-  Lots of charging points....now in rural parts of Thailand the chargers are few but in cities/towns, especially the larger towns, there are plenty of chargers.

- Bt5.5 to 9.5....it varies depending on the charging company.  PEA chargers are usually the cheapest.

-  BYD is good but other EVs like the Neta, Ora Good Cat, etc., are good also.  LOTS (and more everyday) of BYD dealerships.  

image.png.0d638861958baaa1f52c0f8b842e50fe.png 

I think the Atto 3 is more comparable size wise than it is to a Fortuner, so let's compare those two:

Atto.png.5e59cff98a47ed3ac8bdfe0f4a52e838.png

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

Naw....little compact cars with large lawn mower petrol engines in them like the Mitsubishi Mirage is not my style.  

What gas-burner do you want to compare it to? 

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

If a person is only interested in the pure transportation part/cost of getting from point A to B at the lowest possible cost then go with the cheapest petrol vehicle they can buy....or better yet maybe a Honda Wave 100cc motorcycle...the motorcycle shop may even include a free helmet and plastic rain suit.  Then again a person could go with a Neta V EV for $549K in lieu of buying a $509K petrol Mirage since those two vehicles seem to be of very similar size. 

Even better, get one of the DECO E-MC, <30K baht, and charging no problem, as the battery is removable with the 1000w motors, and can charge in your condo/apartment.  Perfect for knocking around locally.  I don't even need a car locally, except if raining.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Mirage (entry level POS) is way out classed by the Atto 3, not even close.

Mirage

,,, maxi output of 78 horsepower at 6,000 rpm

... peak torque of 100 NM at 4,000 rpm

Atto 3

,,,  201 hp

... torque of 310Nm.

Compare the Atto 3 to something at least close to the performance, or even the same size (dimensions).

Mirage ... H 1345mm, W 1585mm, L 3790mm

Atto 3 ... H 1615mm, W 1875mm, L 4455mm

As I remember, I ran the numbers with the MG EV you have vs the ICE version of the same model and the results were pretty similar. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Minor change coming for the Atto 3 (2024)

IMG_2921.thumb.png.87ddd991e445cab3a279b6675d8be12b.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-atto3-my2024-ev-bev-thailand-22feb24/

Changes include :

New Cosmos Black exterior colour 

New Blue , with hints of Black, interior colour 

Possible dropping of the Standard model.

12.8” screen upgrades to 15.6”

Build Your Dreams logo becomes BYD.

It will be interesting to see if there is any price adjustment when they start building them in Thailand around June of this year

I think the Ora Good Cat GT Thailand version was B187,000 cheaper than the Chinese version

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Minor change coming for the Atto 3 (2024)

IMG_2921.thumb.png.87ddd991e445cab3a279b6675d8be12b.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-atto3-my2024-ev-bev-thailand-22feb24/

Changes include :

New Cosmos Black exterior colour 

New Blue , with hints of Black, interior colour 

Possible dropping of the Standard model.

12.8” screen upgrades to 15.6”

Build Your Dreams logo becomes BYD.

Black interior would make the atto 3 look more sensible 

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the Atto 3 is more comparable size wise than it is to a Fortuner, so let's compare those two:

Atto.png.5e59cff98a47ed3ac8bdfe0f4a52e838.png

Many others have commented but you know the saying, apples and oranges? 

59 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think the Mirage is closer to a Neta V, similar size and similar price, Mirage 509k and Neta 499K

Years to break even = 0

The Neva V outclasses the Mirage, and isn't exactly small (relative).  Mirage really was a poor choice to compare to any EV, except the 'minis', and I'm not talking Mini Cooper.

Mirage ... 78 hp & 100 Nm

Neta V ... 94 hp & 150 Nm

Neta V ... H 1540 mm, W 1690 mm, L 4070 mm

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The Neva V outclasses the Mirage, and isn't exactly small.  Mirage really was a poor choice to compare to any EV, except the 'minis', and I'm not talking Mini Cooper.

Mirage ... 78 hp & 100 Nm

Neta V ... 94 hp & 150 Nm

Neta V ... H 1540 mm, W 1690 mm, L 4070 mm

As I remember, I ran the numbers with the MG EV you have vs the ICE version of the same model and the results were pretty similar. 

• Haha 1