Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Currently Bidirectional Charging or V2V ( vehicle to vehicle ) is limited to some vehicles but is high on the list of improvements for ev’s.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/bidirectional-charging-and-evs-how-does-it-work-and-which-cars-have-it/

Do you think 00 will click your link or the one for the company I posted…? 

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can do it with your V2L adaptor and your granny charger.

That what I thought, am sure I saw someone in Australia do it on an Atto 3 but couldn’t find it.

For the unitiated:

V2L and Granny chargers are supplied FOC with EV’s , V2L enables running electrical appliances from the car and Granny chargers allow charging from a standard socket  which is on the V2L cable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

:cheesy:

"How Common Are Electric Car Fires?

Electric car fires are exceedingly rare. There will be only three electric car fires per 1,000 vehicles over the vehicle’s lifetime. Fuel-powered vehicles will experience fires 35 times more frequently over their lifetimes.

Since 2010, researchers who study vehicle fires found 200 fires in electric cars over the last 12 years. That research also studied the whole world and not just the United States. The U.S., however, had the most fires of that, 200: 52. The researchers also stated that in 20 years, the percentage of electric cars that experience fires might go up after two decades of wear and tear.

The number of fires has stayed constant since electric vehicles jumped from experimental status to a viable choice for people buying vehicles.

Are Electric Cars More Prone to Fires?

Electric cars are not more prone to catching fire than their fuel-powered counterparts. Hybrid vehicles often catch fire because they, in essence, have two engines. It’s still not common even when considering hybrid vehicles, which catch fire about 130 times for every straight-up electric car. That’s still only roughly 3,000 per 100,000 or one in a hundred vehicles over the vehicle’s life.

A new lithium battery is also even less prone to fires than lithium-ion batteries. It’s called the lithium iron phosphate battery. Recently, Tesla, Volkswagen, and Ford are switching to these new batteries for their newest vehicles. This will make a rare event even rarer. Still, the risk is so low that there are no plans to recall and retrofit already-produced electric vehicles. The same holds true for hybrid cars, whose fire incidence will also be drastically reduced.

Improvements are “coming down the pike” more and more quickly these days, so changes to the power plants of electric vehicles are inevitable. As the market changes, safety measures for these electric vehicles are bound to change along with it."

Fires 🔥 per billion miles is a better metrics.  Can we agree to the below numbers?

ICE: 56 fires/billion miles

EV (Tesla): 5 fires/billion miles

Tesla is reporting 1 fires/205 million miles. Should be easy for you to verify. 

Screenshot_20230904_151120_Word.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mikebike said:

So GREAT, we have definitively determined that neither ICE or EV owners should be worried about fire.

Next.

EVs rare, and getting rarer, especially BEVs, and if you maintain you ICEV, you really shouldn't have a worry.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Your report from motortrend is only on one country a cold climate country, Sweden, and is behind the times... recent reports are more indicative that ev fires are more common and more deadly... especially in warm countries where the batteries overheat and burst into flames.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

so you did make your claim up, just to take one of your posts Hangzhou in China in January the weather is typically around 5°C, nothing to do with warm climates, as others have said, go back under your rock and troll somewhere else

in other words skip along elsewhere cassidy

I told you that you wouldn't read the sources... keep your mind closed... ev infrastructure is lagging behind.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Fires 🔥 per billion miles is a better metrics.  Can we agree to the below numbers?

ICE: 56 fires/billion miles

EV (Tesla): 5 fires/billion miles

Tesla is reporting 1 fires/205 million miles. Should be easy for you to verify. 

Screenshot_20230904_151120_Word.jpg

@KhunLA, did the cat 🐈 catch your tongue or are you just stuck at a charging station?

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What part of "Can we agree to the below numbers?" do you find incredible different to understand?

Oh, I do understand it, I just wonder why you’re wanting people to agree to it? What’s the agenda?

I know enough about you to know you have a hidden agenda.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

No links given so we must assume that you just made that up.

The physics is very clear. Gasoline is a highly combustable material. If a fuel line comes in contact with something hot (everything in an ICE car’s engine and exhaust system is hot) it can lead to an explosion. Gasoline vapours can fill the car’s cabin and it only takes one spark to create a ball of fire. If you don’t believe me try this at home  - pour a gallon of gasoline on a pile of sticks and lean down and light it (plenty videos on youtube)

Fires from Li-ion batteries tend to start slow. Most deaths are attributed to EV fires are due to cheap electric bikes and scooters brought into the home causing fires at night.   

”Petrol is a dangerous substance; it is a highly flammable liquid and can give off vapour which can easily be set on fire and when not handled safely has the potential to cause a serious fire and/or explosion”

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum.htm

Interesting listening from experts, and not the 'experts' here.....😉

• Agree 1

I think EVs catching fire under normal usage is indeed very rare but when they are involved in a severe collision then the risk is much higher especially with NMC batteries.

LFP batteries are generally safer. I believe the Venice bus crash below used LFP batteries but the bus may have landed on high voltage train tracks which caused the batteries to explode.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67001518

• Like 1