Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

@vinny41, you are usually on point, but the above doesn't make sense. 

Did you mean "EU exports FROM Thailand"?

When both sides sit down to thrash out an EU-Thailand FTA agreement  i am making the assumption that for Thailand  vehicle exports to the EU they will be aiming for zero tariffs agreement or very close to a zero tariffs

Now i expect someone on the EU side will point out that the current tariffs for EU vehicle exports to Thailand are subject to 80% tariffs and that figure will need to be re-adjusted

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When both sides sit down to thrash out an EU-Thailand FTA agreement  i am making the assumption that for Thailand  vehicle exports to the EU they will be aiming for zero tariffs agreement or very close to a zero tariffs

Now i expect someone on the EU side will point out that the current tariffs for EU vehicle exports to Thailand are subject to 80% tariffs and that figure will need to be re-adjusted

Adjusting that figure will destroy the value of the HiSo's Mercedes Benz cars, it would be a very unpopular move.

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am not disputing any number of cars sold by BYD.

I am disputing you removing January sales from the governments published figures because "you know better".  It's wrong.

Autolife is a journalistic magazine, journalists are not unknown to invent things or massage facts to suit their article.  You can't assume that no cars sold in January were registered in January.  Nobody knows the number of cars sold by month, they can guesstimate, all we actually know is the number of cars registered in a month.

DLT state BYD registered 30,467 for the whole of 2023

DLT state BYD registered 7,806 for January 2024

When you add both figures together you get close to the approx 40,000 sales target that BYD had for 2023

• Like 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

When you add both figures together you get close to the approx 40,000 sales target that BYD had for 2023

I am not denying that.  But you cannot assume there are no January sales in January registrations.

The question is, what is the proportion?  We cannot know that, we can only guess, so we have to guess.  How do you guess January 2023? January 2025 etc?  It's a slippery slope.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am not disputing any number of cars sold by BYD.

I am disputing you removing January sales from the governments published figures because "you know better".  It's wrong.

Autolife is a journalistic magazine, journalists are not unknown to invent things or massage facts to suit their article.  You can't assume that no cars sold in January were registered in January.  Nobody knows the number of cars sold by month, they can guesstimate, all we actually know is the number of cars registered in a month.

Your flogging a dead horse hear

Someone looking to buy a EV in December 2023 they would be told currently B150,000 subsidy on ev cars if you purchased by 31st December and registered by 31st January 2024 or if you prefer wait until next month where we don't know what the pricing will be but we do know that the subsidy will be B50,000 less

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Your flogging a dead horse hear

Someone looking to buy a EV in December 2023 they would be told currently B150,000 subsidy on ev cars if you purchased by 31st December and registered by 31st January 2024 or if you prefer wait until next month where we don't know what the pricing will be but we do know that the subsidy will be B50,000 less

That's why we took advantage of the 240k when offered, 2+ yrs ago, and not knowing how long it would last, or be extended.   Hindsight ... luckily wouldn't have done anything different.  Though the ZS did go on sale a few times, for 80-130k off, but only recently.

Which would have meant more depreciation of the ICEV before selling, and 20 months of petrol saving lost, so all a bit of a wash, and got to drive a better performing vehicle.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

That doesn't affect the fact we don't know how many vehicles were sold & registered in January.  If I were to hazard a guess, I would be comfortable with something like February's figure, but you can't say zero unless you can prove it.

It's highly likely some people ordered in December and asked for early January delivery.  I have done this many times in my life.

Once you start fudging official figures, you have to say why (you've done that), gain a concensus (you don't have that), and post approximate figures, maybe to the nearest 100 or 1,000 but you cant fudge figures down to individual cars.

I am not fudging  official figures as you state , the official figures are based on registrations not sales

Byd state their  sales target for 2023 was 40,000 and it seems they got very close to that figure with 

so the combined registrations for January 2024 and the Whole of 2023 is 38,273

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Adjusting that figure will destroy the value of the HiSo's Mercedes Benz cars, it would be a very unpopular move.

Add BMW to that list. We need to keep these new energy vehicles where they belong.

FB_IMG_1718241913009.jpg

54 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I am not fudging  official figures as you state , the official figures are based on registrations not sales

Byd state their  sales target for 2023 was 40,000 and it seems they got very close to that figure with 

so the combined registrations for January 2024 and the Whole of 2023 is 38,273

That statement is true.

I am somewhat unconvinced at the relevance of 13 months figures, a baker's dozen months, must be a baker's year....

49 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That statement is true.

I am somewhat unconvinced at the relevance of 13 months figures, a baker's dozen months, must be a baker's year....

From an automotive manufacturers point of view they are primarily focused on number of sales

with the rules of the EV 3.0 they are also focused on registrations as it not until the vehicle is registered that the government releases the subsidy back to the brand or importer

Its simple for sales numbers each year you look at registration figures from Feb 1st to Feb 1st

Byd registration figures from Feb 1st 2023 to Feb 1st 2024 for all types RY1 RY6 is

37,478 which is close to the 40,000 sales figure for 2023

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yet another video with no source or useful information about what it depicts. For instance, is there anything to indicate that isn't just an example of someone forgetting to latch the bonnet (hood) of their vehicle properly?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yet another video with no source or useful information about what it depicts. For instance, is there anything to indicate that isn't just an example of someone forgetting to latch the bonnet (hood) of their vehicle properly?

A vehicle hood/bonnet all have a "catch" in case you forget to close it properly......🤭

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You have to actually latch the hood on BYDs? 

• Haha 2

Just now, transam said:

A vehicle hood/bonnet all have a "catch" in case you forget to close it properly......🤭

Not in China, apparently you have to make sure they are latched properly so they don't blow up. Likely a safety device to keep the owners from getting locked it. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not in China, apparently you have to make sure they are latched properly so they don't blow up. Likely a safety device to keep the owners from getting locked it. 

That sounds daft, in all my life of motoring I have never had a car without a safety latch, but then I have never had a Chinese ride............😝

1 hour ago, transam said:

All cars have safety latches, but they will release over a bump.  Sad to say, I've been there and got the T-shirt.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

All cars have safety latches, but they will release over a bump.  Sad to say, I've been there and got the T-shirt.

I have never had a bonnet pop up at all, but then again, I maintained all my cars........😘

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pretty easy to find videos of hoods opening while driving.   I found three pretty quick by googling for youtube videos...a Nissan compact, some expensive sports car, and a pickup truck.  Scary as heck when it happens.   As Forrest Gump said, "Sh%t Happens."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

The hoods popping up is nearly always the driver forgetting to close it fully.

And apparently in the case of Chinese cars, "forgetting to latch the bonnet" securely. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

One of the reasons you should service at the authorized dealer is the little things like greasing the bonnet latch cable.

Somchai in his little workshop probably won’t do things like that because he doesn’t work from the manufacturers checklist.