Electric Vehicles in Thailand

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Can’t argue with price of Celery, cheap cheap motoring and a great little town car.

Nice with a bit of blue cheese as well...

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Actually, I hadn’t considered a declining overall market, I should’ve qualified that quote for this kind of situation too. However, I am convinced EV‘s are here to stay and then market share will only just creep up continuously.

That is correct. The natural survival instinct kicked in and the claim was later watered down to 3 consecutive months of y-o-y declining market share. On that claim you are still on green pasture, but have some tough month ahead.

Screenshot_20240503_043906_Chart Maker.jpg

37 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is correct. The natural survival instinct kicked in and the claim was later watered down to 3 consecutive months of y-o-y declining market share. On that claim you are still on green pasture, but have some tough month ahead.

You are hilarious, you’re wasted working in the oil industry.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks @Pib.

Steep discounts do work and as EV factories start production in a falling car market, Thailand will have a significant production over capacity. I think we will see a lot more discounts from ICE manufacturers going forward. Suzuki already cut 51k off the Celerio price. Maybe @transam is in the market for an upgrade?

147 registrations in April out of 592 sales in March, we might still see some of those sales as registrations in May.

Any change you can find the January number, just to get a full data set?

Ciaz 2024 Registrations:

January: 

February: 26

March: 28

April: 147

Here you go for Jan 2024.    A total of 779 Suzuki cars registered in Jan with 37 of them being the Ciaz.

image.png.b5221defe18dfa18cfb7ea0538985a2c.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Two swallows did not a summer make.

As the actress said to the bishop.

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

“EV sales are collapsing” 

or so we keep getting told, but EVs now outsell Diesel in many countries 

https://cleantechnica.com/2024/01/19/in-2203-electric-cars-outsold-diesel-cars-in-europe/

But what about Thailand?

IMG_4016.jpeg.2600f32adc5c9bce1c0c693553c33458.jpeg

EVs in Thailand

Q1 2023 14,717

Q1 2024 22,289 

+ 8,171 + 51.4%

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.6ad56e7db453905c2d12bbb1d308b91f.jpeg

IMG_1639.thumb.jpeg.36009bd9143e765fb738d7241e7063ce.jpeg

Double dipping again using Registration data as sales data 

January 2024 and 2023 Registrations data is December 2023 and December 2022 sales

Sales Figures for the 1st 3 months of 2023 i.e February ,March and April 2023 registrations total 15,532

Sales Figures for the 1st 3 months of 2024 i.e February ,March and April 2023 registrations total 12,633

EV sales for the 2024 are down 18.66% compared to same period in 2023

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Double dipping again using Registration data as sales data 

January 2024 and 2023 Registrations data is December 2023 and December 2022 sales

Sales Figures for the 1st 3 months of 2023 i.e February ,March and April 2023 registrations total 15,532

Sales Figures for the 1st 3 months of 2024 i.e February ,March and April 2023 registrations total 12,633

EV sales for the 2024 are down 18.66% compared to same period in 2023

We’ve been over this.

This month's registrations are a lot of last month's sales and some of this month’s sales.

They are the only statistics we can realistically use.

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We’ve been over this.

This month's registrations are a lot of last month's sales and some of this month’s sales.

They are the only statistics we can realistically use.

Rubbish if you sell something is 2023 you can't include that sell in 2024 figures

Rever has set "cautious, but realistic targets" for this year, after delivering 40,000 BYD cars in 2023

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/EV-makers-offer-deep-discounts-as-Thai-auto-market-weakens

February 2023 registrations through to 31st January 2024 total 37,981 and as we know the DLT often has additions to the figures published by Autolifethailand

Looking at registration data from February 2023 until 31st December 2023 Byd  registration data comes to total of 29,587

Radklao said the EV board also resolved to have the Excise Department extend the period of the first phase, or EV 3.0 package, from December 31 this year to January 31 next year.

Initially, EV buyers under the EV3.0 package were required to register their EV vehicles by December 31. The extension allows them to buy new EVs by December 31 and register before January 31, 2024 to benefit from the Thailand International Motor Expo in December, 

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/automobile/40032479

so the final purchase date to qualify for EV 3.0 subsidy was 31st December 2023 and register  before January 31, 2024

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Two swallows did not a summer make.

As the actress said to the bishop.

Not a single bird in the market share chart.....yet. Slowly, but surely EVs have been chipping away market share from ICEVs.

1714719604339.jpg

1714719599856.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sales figures are useless and inaccurate, they are totally open to manipulation by anyone who reports them.

The only figures we can realistically and accurately use are registrations, they are accurate though any interpretation towards the month of sale is tenuous at best.

I suggest you stop banging on about sales, and let’s work with the registration data.

It wasn't me that was Double dipping  using Registration data as sales data  and registration data is normally last month sales data

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you ever finish your education or was kindergarten as far as you got?

The latter but he didn’t manage to graduate.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It wasn't me that was Double dipping  using Registration data as sales data  and registration data is normally last month sales data

if we stick to registration data, we won’t go far wrong.

We can’t really accurately talk about Sales, we can talk about bookings at motor shows, etc., but that is nonsense as well.

• Agree 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

if we stick to registration data, we won’t go far wrong.

We can’t really accurately talk about Sales, we can talk about bookings at motor shows, etc., but that is nonsense as well.

January registration data is largely December sales I don't know of anyone that if they know they can get a B150,000 subsidy if the buy in December that would wait to buy in January with a reduced subsidy of B100,000

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I suggest you stop banging on about sales, and let’s work with the registration data.

In this case, it was actually @Bandersnatch that was comparing pick-up sales numbers with EV registrations. Silly, I know. It must be the heat or all that electro-magnetic exposure from being off-grid.

Vinny was just trying to point 👉 out and correct this blatant cherry 🍒 picking.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1