Confusion With Retirement Extension

after having used a visa agent for several years, I thought that I now qualified for the "normal way" of getting a retirement extension.

I was wrong. Went to Jomtien today with all paperwork necessary (Bank statements (up to date copies), residence statement, updated bank book with copies, bank letter (signed) passport copies (signed), both official TM forms (signed)

service was friendly and the problem was explained in detail.

Whilst I was under the expression that the 800.000 + have to be in the bank for 3 months prior to the application, I was wrong.

they explained to me that this amount had to be in the bank for 1 year (since the date of the last year extension) but can temporarily go down to 400.000, then up again to 800.000,  3 months before the application.

I then went to my former visa agent (the one I paid all these years) who was able to fix the problem for a very reasonable amount.

I was also told that next year I wouldn't have a problem if the bank account remains at 800.000 (temporarily 400.000)

something learned again

thaisabai

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 800,000 must be in the bank for 2 months prior to application, it must remain for 3 months after approval, then can reduce to 400,000, remember to increase to 800,000 before next application.

When they consider your next application they may look back to see if you have complied with the previous years funding requirements, i.e. 800 to 400 and 800 again, if memory serves correctly there has been one report on here of somebody failing because he didn't comply with the previous years requirement in that he took out the 400k before the 3 months after was completed.

Sounds like the OP might of have used one of those agents who magically eliminate the requirement to have 800k of your own money in the bank at any time. Obviously, this makes having the 800-400-800 requirement impossible to document -- at least with legitimate bank statements. And why some on this forum have argued that once you go this type of agent route, you've checked into Hotel California. Sounds like the OP's agent used his friends at Immigration to overlook the missing 800-400k from the beginning of last year's extension. OP should now be clear of needing an agent next year -- if, of course, he now complies with the 800-400-800 requirement.

Edited by JimGant