Local official says it's "not okay" after pedestrian is hit on a Zebra crossing by motorcyclist who flees

webfact

6pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Pedestrian hit on Zebra crossing

Daily News reported that a district official in Beung Kork, Phitsanulok, northern Thailand, went to the Bang Rakam police to report an accident.

Duangdeuan was using a Zebra crossing at 9.50 am on Tuesday when she was knocked down by a motorcycle that fled the scene. 

She had CCTV that she posted on social media inspiring much comment.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

She told reporters that she had just dropped off her partner for a haircut, parked then headed to the bank.

But she had forgotten her Thai ID in the car so she doubled back using the zebra to return to her car.

She suffered multiple bruises, an injury to her arm and swelling on her hands though her head was fine. 

She admitted she may have been in a hurry and had stepped out without due care and attention.

But fleeing the scene and leaving her there injured.

That she said in Thai was "mai OK". 

Police are studying the CCTV that shows a male motorcyclist. The plate is indistinct. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

As predicted, the strict implementation of stopping at pedestrian crossings has dwindled away to nothing, after the young female doctor was killed by an off-duty cop a month or so ago in Bangkok. There was not an iota of change on my crossing on Sathorn Road immediately after that tragedy, where motocy view traffic lights as a pretty colour decoration, and pavements as their lane of choice, in either direction; always have, always will. Plus ça change. 

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samtam said:

As predicted, the strict implementation of stopping at pedestrian crossings has dwindled away to nothing, after the young female doctor was killed by an off-duty cop a month or so ago in Bangkok. There was not an iota of change on my crossing on Sathorn Road immediately after that tragedy, where motocy view traffic lights as a pretty colour decoration, and pavements as their lane of choice, in either direction; always have, always will. Plus ça change. 

To my surprise where I am the opposite has occurred. Outside our district hospital there is a pedestrian crossing that was virtually impossible to cross. Buses, cars and bikes just kept on going regardless. Now as soon as it looks like there's 2 or more people wanting to cross the road, using the crossing, everybody stops and gives way to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

In a normal, civilized country the cameras would work and the pictures recorded would be "distinct". The bike's owner could and would be questioned; if guilty - see bottom - if a third party did a runner then (s)he would have to be named and fined for the medical costs and a juicy fine of say 50K up and two weeks in jail. No money for the fine = then sit it off in the jail at the government's minimum salary of 300+ Baht/day! 

If the pictures are not distinct, then bill the municipality Beung Kork in Phitsanulok as they purchased the indistinct equipment and put responsibility eventually internally onto the purchasing office. In case of purchase irregularities = see above!

It is high noon to take all those to responsibility doing an incomplete job, be it faulty equipment which is not serviced properly, be it due to poor quality of the purchased equipment  (= see corruption/commissioning). 

Once you have the culprit, take away his bike and destroy it beyond repair in front of his eyes and put the whole show onto a TV programme prior to the nightly soap operas for educational purposes! 

Trust me, things would change over night - literally! 

Read your first five words in Para 1,then forget about the rest!!!!  T.I.T.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

To my surprise where I am the opposite has occurred. Outside our district hospital there is a pedestrian crossing that was virtually impossible to cross. Buses, cars and bikes just kept on going regardless. Now as soon as it looks like there's 2 or more people wanting to cross the road, using the crossing, everybody stops and gives way to them.

That appeared to happen in some areas....for a few days, but the Sathorn Road crossing, near Saladaeng is a <deleted> shoot.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Sounds like a new must see tourist attraction ... where is it? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

In a normal, civilized country the cameras would work and the pictures recorded would be "distinct". The bike's owner could and would be questioned; if guilty - see bottom - if a third party did a runner then (s)he would have to be named and fined for the medical costs and a juicy fine of say 50K up and two weeks in jail. No money for the fine = then sit it off in the jail at the government's minimum salary of 300+ Baht/day! 

If the pictures are not distinct, then bill the municipality Beung Kork in Phitsanulok as they purchased the indistinct equipment and put responsibility eventually internally onto the purchasing office. In case of purchase irregularities = see above!

It is high noon to take all those to responsibility doing an incomplete job, be it faulty equipment which is not serviced properly, be it due to poor quality of the purchased equipment  (= see corruption/commissioning). 

Once you have the culprit, take away his bike and destroy it beyond repair in front of his eyes and put the whole show onto a TV programme prior to the nightly soap operas for educational purposes! 

Trust me, things would change over night - literally! 

Many big bike riders now tuck the number plate back under the seat where it cannot be read. Still maintain that the same rule for cars, "number plates front and rear" should be applied to motor bikes. Make it law and the manufacturers will find a way. Then cameras will pick them up just as they do cars. Note for file: 80% of road deaths are motor bike riders. Enforcement by camera may help reduce the toll.   

• Like 1