Fake 1,000 baht notes everywhere at Thai market - one lady employee counts the cost

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture; Siam Rath

Siam Rath went to investigate after an online post by a woman employee at a chicken stall who got stung by a female customer who paid with a fake 1,000 baht note. 

Sudarat, 48, was fed up, and with good reason.

Her first customer of the day ordered a chicken on a spit for 190 baht.

As it was the first customer she didn't have any change when the lady presented a 1,000 baht. So she went to get change with the owner of a fried banana stall.

She then handed over the chicken and the 810 baht change. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

But the banana lady Pimchanok, became suspicious as the note felt thick.

On closer inspection the color was wrong and so was the watermark.

Her husband took it to the bank who confirmed it was fake and scribbled on it so it could not be used further.

The money was returned to Sudarat who said she would now be 1,200 baht out of pocket - just what she didn't need what with the state of her finances and the economy.

A person at the market at the Phreuksa 3 housing estate in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi, said that there had been 30 cases of fake bills at places like durian shops in a single day.

All the fakes were 1,000 baht bills. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not paying any taxes she should not complain. 

How is it difficult to apply for POS terminal and accept cards instead of cash? But no, they rather got f***ed themselves with funny money but still stay "black".

• Confused 3
  • Sad 9

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Wonder when they are going to fake the 10 000 baht bill and someone is falling for it?

Your a real charmer, a 10k Baht note...lol, no one would even think such a bill was real.  When they went to the 1k baht notes many were lost as the purple 500 baht notes were the largest people carried in the mid 90's.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your a real charmer, a 10k Baht note...lol, no one would even think such a bill was real.  When they went to the 1k baht notes many were lost as the purple 500 baht notes were the largest people carried in the mid 90's.

Hey, have a heart! There´s always that single one, that will believe anything. 

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Hey, have a heart! There´s always that single one, that will believe anything. 

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, those that say and believe "But my Thai Girl is different"....lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I too once wore rose tinted spectacles

Oooh Noooo! Not that old one! Have you checked the dusty drawer on the top. Maybe they are still there, and you just started to forget when you used them last time.

Backs up the shout for  cashless transactions . Everywhere in the UK now and took me by surprise on my recent visit . Even in the pubs and taxis . Just make sure you read the bill / receipt to make sure it is the correct charge before you use your contactless bank card or even your smart phone app .

Just now, BritManToo said:

Sounds like BS to me. How many market traders allow customers to pay with 1k notes? 

When we hit the morning Talads we always pay at the first stall with a 1k baht note, then we have change for the remainder until we need to break another 1k baht note to round out the shopping and then we are 4 bags full of what we need for the next week or so....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Leally Leally , OMG, how lucky her buffalo is to have you.  That 100k Baht note will go far....

Yeah, but it has only got sick 17 times in 10 years. Quite healthy little guy. Never seen it, though. ????

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I had the misfortune to be caught up in the tsunami on Phi-Phi. One of the more bizarre experiences after the event, was finding in the water a 500 baht note, so obviously fake that no one could ever mistake it for the real thing. 

• Confused 2

Although not a breaking news, rather old story when farang paid to taxi driver with expired cruseiros banknote of 500 value telling either it was Deutschemarks or some other fancy European currency. Worked like a charm, was even posted on few lifehack boards. 

Same goes for 10 baht coins that look, weight and "bling-bling" just like 1 euros. Back than backpackers at Khao Sarn were changing those in bulk ))) 

And the "Black Dollar" story! Don't You just love Thailand?

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

It's right up there, but not dumbest from my experience. Love to see posts that seem to be from folks who have never been to real local Thai market... this and "cashless transactions" from your smart phone... all the rage in the UK. This isn't the UK

How many "real local Thai Markets" have you been to to make that claim ?

People who have iphones are usually able to carry out transactions by phone , I expect that the only people who cannot do transactions by phone are the 70 year olds in markets in Issan selling the carrots they have grown .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I feel for this poor lady but what can you expect in a country that has so many dishonest people in so many guises

please, do tell the perfect country you come from that has no dishonest citizens?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1