Removing absurd amounts of pigeon poo from the balcony

AdamsAnt

I periodically have balcony bird poop but not at such volumes.

For smaller jobs, you can first scrape up caked areas, then  moisten with hot vinegar and let sit for a good while, then wipe with a rag. 

But it's best to wear a high quality mask because particles will get into the air and you don't want to breathe it. Ideally an N95 with a valve; different function than for Covid.

I've got a steamer now and wonder how that can be used for such jobs.

Based on your description, it does sound like it's at industrial levels, and you might need to call in specialized help. 

It's not just dirt. It's a biohazard.

I bought some shiny fake owls with bells to scare off the birds and they seem to be somewhat effective.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I lived in a condo on Soi On Nut for 7 months and every month I had to spend 500 baht to clean the bird poos. That is the only condo where I had this problem in my 20 years of more than a dozen Thailand condo renting.  The condo was maintained clean. Not sure why it had such problems. 

I was away from my condo for 2 months and came back to find a fair bit of pigeon poo plus 2 pigeon eggs. The mum had built a nest in the round recessesd drain hole. 

I have now installed nylon netting suspended from poles that can be easily removed and then replaced when I leave the condo for a few weeks. Pigeons are not a big problem if the condo is inhabited.

Tile Floor cleaner, splash it all-over, throw water on it leave it for as long as poss, repeat but this time add bleach on it, leave it to soak again, Beware of the fumes, to make scrapping easier I have used a paint scraper taped on the end of handle, to save my back.   

• Like 1

The only solution to keep pidgeons away from balcony areas is proper bird netting. If you want to fix them yourself you can buy them in Homepro, the nets are cut in handy pieces of 2m or so. Forget about sharp spikes, you will hurt yourself more than the birds. In Bangkok you can also contact specialized companies who will sell the nets including installation service.

• Thanks 1

Mask up, glove up, sweep the bulk up (otherwise when you wash it away you'll simply distribute it across and down the walls below), bag and dispose bulk of it, then pressure washer, then a good mop with disinfectant. Bird poo is very acidic and yes it carries bacteria when fresh.

Old poo is still very corrosive especially to lungs and skin, so avoid contact. You can get some rubber snakes and maybe a hawk or owl bird mobile scarer and set it up somewhere in a pot-plant on the balcony to keep the flying rats at bay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Finding a way to keep the birds off the balcony is going to be the ultimate answer.  Either putting up screens or those strips with wires to keep them from landing.

Something like this:

SNA [Ready Stock]Anti Climb Spikes Fence stainless steel Spikes Bird Cat Repellent Prickle Strips | Lazada.co.th

Most condos don't allow altering the appearance of the railing.

Mask up, glove up, wear protective clothing and scrap what you can, then wait for a big rain storm and you can use a lot of water/soap/disinfectant to clean the remaining without causing a disturbance below.

45 minutes ago, erymax said:

I put a rope with many old music CD's on it across the balcony. CD's are very shiny. no one bird visits the balcony anymore.

Yeah my owls employ the same concept but with wind bells.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I hate these pigeons with a passion. I don't understand why they can't just <deleted> in the air while flying or somewhere else like many birds do but specifically have to do it on balconies. I think there are some idiots feeding them by the condo when there are signs saying not to do that and then they come and diarrhea all over my balcony every single day. 

I had one who made his home on one of the AC vents on the balcony and would have explosive diarrhea there for a few nights that dripped down and all over the place. I caught him a few nights and scared the <deleted> out of him that he slammed into my balcony doors and then flew away and didn't come back

• Like 2

If it is landing mainly on and around the balcony raling, apply any type of oil (motor oil, lemon oil furniture polish etc) to it. It will still land but will be very easy to wipe away.

If it is landing onside the balcony area, on the floor for example, then the pigeons must actually be getting in, fpr that look at netting solutions as others described

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Lazada

Do they come locally or fly them in from China?   LOL

What did you search for.....Ringing Owls? Seriously.

EDIT: Oh yes, OWLS ! Got them, thanks.

Edited by KannikaP

The part about health risk (if you inhale particles) is true - diseases   include Cryptococcosis, Histoplasmosis and Psittacosis.

I got psittacosis many years ago after spending many hours sitting on a hotel terrace in Macao that was full of bird droppings.

Biggest risk would come during cleaning - wear a good mask.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:23 AM, Jingthing said:

I periodically have balcony bird poop but not at such volumes.

For smaller jobs, you can first scrape up caked areas, then  moisten with hot vinegar and let sit for a good while, then wipe with a rag. 

But it's best to wear a high quality mask because particles will get into the air and you don't want to breathe it. Ideally an N95 with a valve; different function than for Covid.

I've got a steamer now and wonder how that can be used for such jobs.

Based on your description, it does sound like it's at industrial levels, and you might need to call in specialized help. 

It's not just dirt. It's a biohazard.

I bought some shiny fake owls with bells to scare off the birds and they seem to be somewhat effective.

Thanks. It is indeed at an industrial level. 

Kicking up something that I can breath is what concerns me. 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:26 PM, Sheryl said:

The part about health risk (if you inhale particles) is true - diseases   include Cryptococcosis, Histoplasmosis and Psittacosis.

I got psittacosis many years ago after spending many hours sitting on a hotel terrace in Macao that was full of bird droppings.

Biggest risk would come during cleaning - wear a good mask.

Sorry to hear that. Such things are exactly what I'm concerned about. 

On 5/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, Sheryl said:

If it is landing mainly on and around the balcony raling, apply any type of oil (motor oil, lemon oil furniture polish etc) to it. It will still land but will be very easy to wipe away.

If it is landing onside the balcony area, on the floor for example, then the pigeons must actually be getting in, fpr that look at netting solutions as others described

They pooed on everything. The floor looks like thick bird poo carpet now. 

It normally wasn't an issue, but I was out of the country due to covid and left the place empty for over a year. 

I wonder though, if now they will return over and over since making it a poo spot. A net might be a great solution for future issues. Thanks. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, bbko said:

Mask up, glove up, wear protective clothing and scrap what you can, then wait for a big rain storm and you can use a lot of water/soap/disinfectant to clean the remaining without causing a disturbance below.

That looks like the way to go. 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:11 AM, Bday Prang said:

Be very careful if dealing with large amounts of pidgeon excrement, especially if dried,  it has the potential to cause what can be a nasty and sometimes fatal lung infection. In the U.k the presence of it is treated with the same precautions afforded to asbestos

Good lord, I didn't know it was that bad. Thanks for the heads up. It's dry.